Types of Jujitsu

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

RIP Robert Clarke

Postby geordiejonny » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:49 am | #106

it is with regret i annouce that soke robert clarke 9th has passed away in feb 2012 from a blood clot.
respects can be paid via an email link on the wjjf website
rip sensei
geordiejonny None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Types of Jujitsu

Postby Hirsty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:55 pm | #107

Terrible, terrible news.  It was one of his books that drew me to Ju Jitsu in the first place.  My deep regards to his family and students.

Perhaps this warrants a thread of its own?
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Davvers » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 pm | #108

sorry to come in at this point. Sensei Clark was a well known man here in Liverpool.

[/quote]
When WJJF and BJJA were together it was headed by Soke James Blundell and assisted by Prof. Clark.
Back then Prof. Clark was 8th Dan and Prof. James Blundell Soke was 9th Dan.When Soke Blundell died the then Prof. Clark took over.
Though Prof. Clark still classes his main/first instructor as Jack Britton not James Blundell whom he had met later in his martial art career.

Later several of the instructors in WJJF split and took the BJJA name which was created within WJJF with them. One of those was Soke Blundells son Kenneth.
I have a pic from way back which lists among others Soke Blundell 9th Dan (In a gi with Juko Ryu Int'l badges + red belt), John Steadman 5th Dan, Kenneth Blundell 5th Dan and Charles Allmark 6th Dan all wearing WJJF blazers and ties.[/quote]

Kenneth Blundell is my instructor at the Lowlands and the JJ style taught there is a style called JukuRyu / soft style. Soke Blundell was taught a lot of martial arts during his travels and he incorporated these into his style which owes a lot to kungfu, chinese boxing and a few others. Sensei Kenny Blundell still teaches this although this in turn has also evolved with the martial arts he has also learned on his travels. When I have gone to seminars, trained with visiting instructors or trained at other clubs in the past you would be surprised how many of them are still using old lowlands syllabus' and kata although it is nice to see how other high level Sensei like Sensei Parker and others have adapted what they learned into their own style. Ours is an old club and we have pictures of Jigaro Kano and other jujitsuka on the walls. I think whilst its good to see the history its also good to see the evolution into a separate style.

I would also love a scan of that picture to show Kenny if Poss?
"Omotai mono de kare no atama wo nagaru"
Davvers Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby OneDragons » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:27 pm | #109

The picture is in the back of the old red WJJF training manual.
The many within One!

Greek Proverb "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
OneDragons None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Davvers » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:19 pm | #110

we havent been world for while but will see if I can get a copy of one of the chaps i work with who is ...
"Omotai mono de kare no atama wo nagaru"
Davvers Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby OneDragons » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:48 pm | #111

You will do well, it went out of print decades ago. I picked one up second hand a while back.
The many within One!

Greek Proverb "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
OneDragons None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Previous

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup