History of British Jujitsu

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby captaincrunch » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:23 pm | #16

i would say the biggest difference was that we put more emphasis on the physics of the technique ,why it works,body position etc.
for example if you want to throw someone backwards you need to get them to want to move in that direction then help them on their way rather than relying on brute force
the style i now do is jin soku jitsu which is mally holmes's take on the original techniques from WJJF/Jui Jitsu International/World Kobudo Federation or anything else that seems to work
regards
Brian
captaincrunch Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaincrunch » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:39 pm | #17

eugenemcfadden wrote:Aye, I've heard jikishin, and I've also head juko ryu, both of which are fairly similar and are offshoots of the Blundell/Clarke/Morris system.  

Eugene McFadden

i have to say that juko ryu does ring a bell,
i wish i could help more with the original origins of the system but i've never really tried to find out as i have always been more interested in now than then
regards
Brian

have just read that through and it seems rude to those that are,please dont take it that way thats not how it was meant :D  :D
captaincrunch Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby eugenemcfadden » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:46 am | #18

Nah, it's cool, no offence taken; I'm just interested in where things come from.

You're right on the brute force aspect, which is a little... short sighted in terms of the art: what you can make work with raw strength at 25 may not be something you can make work at 50... let alone getting into teaching different body types and everything else.  

Does this ring any bells?  

Eugene McFadden
eugenemcfadden None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaincrunch » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:05 pm | #19

very vaguely
have trained with Richard Morris,Bryan Cheek and Kevin Pell quite a lot,
but cant really remember Garner Thompson
wasn't he something to do with the kai yamabushi ryu group with jo biggsand george scarrott?
captaincrunch Male

Postby seisen » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:14 pm | #20

hey Jo Biggs, thats me!!!!!,
Ko Ryu rocks!!!

what do you want to know?
seisen None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby eugenemcfadden » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:25 am | #21

Shihan Joe Biggs?
Cool.  

Wasn't Kiai Yamabushi Ryu originally under the World Kobudo Federation?  Do you have any memories you would like to share from this time period?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaincrunch » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:31 am | #22

do you mean memories of kai yamabushi ryu or world kobudo federation
i was never with kai yamabushi ryu but we did a seminar for them in portugal that i have a lot of memories of
captaincrunch Male

Postby Mr.Tibbs » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:43 am | #23

Hi Captaincrunch I`ve heard some strange stories about Kai Yamabushi Ryu are they as bonkers as I`ve heard ?
Mr.Tibbs None specified

Postby eugenemcfadden » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:14 pm | #24

what was the seminar like?  And what was the WKF syllabus like?

Eugene

Postby sumosan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:24 pm | #25

Hi I first started with the WJJF in 1979 in the Fife school of Jujitsu and I was told it was Juko-Ryu we were practicing.  
Soke James Blundell
Proff Clark
Richard Morris
Sensei Pape
Eric Marshall
John Steadman

are just some of the masters we trained under at that time, we also came under Soke Tsuyoshi Munetoshi Inouye of 'Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu' also at that time.

Links were forged with Soke Fumon Tanaka of 'Kukishin Ryu Bujutsu' later on in the 80's.  

Yes there was a scandle involving an alleged fraud but never got to the bottom of it until I left WJJF after 11 years with them to set up my own club.  We were all kept in the dark about the big split up but after leaving I found out what it was all about.
He who waits for the axe to fall shall surley lose his head and don't call me surley.
sumosan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby beaker » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 pm | #26

Gra wrote:The history of British jujitsu is quite obscured. The best description I have seen appears in James Short's book on jujutsu, this appears more or less accuracte. However, the author's credibility is in shreds over other aspects of his life, and anything he says about his own art or contribution should be doubted.

That presumably would be this James Shortt?  :lol:
beaker None specified

Postby eugenemcfadden » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:41 pm | #27

Aye, that James Shortt, but his research is apparently good.  I haven't seen it so will track it down and then report.  

Sumosan-
what do you know of the scandal?
And was there any actual cross fertilization between the Japanese schools and the WJJF/BJJA?

Eugene

Postby sumosan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:06 pm | #28

Yes there was some crossing over as there usually is when organisations get together but not too much came through to us up in Scotland, a few new ideas about how things were done but on the whole the WJJF tried to keep strictley to its policys and sylabus. I never noticed too much as we were kept in the dark by our own sensei and only found out after leaving about the alleged fraud claim of 50k by Prof Clark. The big break up came about due to this as all the main Sensei's distanced themselves and formed all the splinter groups.  The WJJF was taken over by and run by Prof Clarks main right hand man Sensei Alan Campbell.  Prof Clark became a figure head.

My information came from the late Prof Gunar Salders whom I joined in the 90's. Gunar lived in Birmingham so it's just up the road from Liverpool. I even met Prof Clark on a course with Gunar and spoke with him at length, he knew me from my days with the Fife club and us going to seminars as well as him coming up to our courses in Scotland so you could say from the horses mouth.  The issue has been resloved.
He who waits for the axe to fall shall surley lose his head and don't call me surley.
sumosan None specified

Re: History of British Jujitsu

Postby ollytwo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:15 pm | #29

from what i know of jj history .prof bluddle snr ran a club in liverpool call LOWLANDS .the founder of our club trained there .it is also posible that r clark trained there too but i do kwon that he got his black belt in club .
ive seen his name in the membership lists
our club was founded in 1960
hope that helps
ollytwo Male

Postby seisen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:40 pm | #30

well Brian, hope you well, so which portugal seminar were you on ?, there were so many, and all had rather fond and some time fraught memories!!!!!, I can remember putting to bed a certain 8th dan, having to pick the lock to his apt os he had lost his key, who then trashed his apartment, police were called etc , that was quite fun!!!, being offered my 7th dan for £300 complete with DBNK membership from Japan and hanshi title,

KYR bonkers (yep i would agree with that) but they had some very talented jiu jitsu instructors who in my humble opinion could walk the walk and talk te talk, the portugal seminars were great they ran from 1990 throught to 1997 when Alan Tattersall and his cronies perfomed a little take over and decided to run a seminar in the same venue a week before the last one,
They rang all the groups and sent out posters with different dates on!!!!,

as the seminar particpants from the uk arrived in portugal, tattersall was sitting in arrivals drinking coffee waiting to leave!!!, most groups having visted portugal such as WKF,Etc all organised semianrs in villamoura for the next few years.
i belive they still have a small seminar out there each year with a kyr teacher.

my involvment with the seminars basically finshed when J.L Barron moved back to the uk.

The list of teachers in the portugal semianrs was pretty impressive.

the ``inoue`` connection invloved the WJJF selling fake dan grade diploma with stamps from hontai yoshin ryu on them, Mike mclure went to japan and then the truth came out, mike now teaches hontai yoshin ryu in london,

I remeber sitting with Garner thomson when he wrote and edited the above book, Garner left KYR shortly after it was set up, and took over the running of my London Dojo in 1995.

yep fond  memories, the first Jitsu instructor out to the portugal seminars was Soke Brian Dossett, who taught there one year with Bonnie Tylers boyfriend who i have forgottten his name, was a 6th dan judo at the time,
bonnie tyler came to the seminar but didnt train, but did stay to see the demo in the evening,

very interesting seeing all the links via portugal over the years!!!!!!!
seisen None specified

PreviousNext

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup