History of British Jujitsu

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby sumosan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:36 am | #31

Hi seisen, aye it was a bit murky back then fun and games.
He who waits for the axe to fall shall surley lose his head and don't call me surley.
sumosan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby eugenemcfadden » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:17 am | #32

So the Hontai Yoshin Ryu thing was completely made up?  Or at least the WJJF bent the truth of their relationship to the ryuha to the point where it had no real bearing on reality?

Eugene
eugenemcfadden None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby seisen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:51 am | #33

re Hontai yoshin ryu.

yes, there was an intial visit, by wjjf to japan, but the relationship was completely distoreted, lots of press intrest at the times with an article in time out and the times i belive, garner thomson was ajourlinst in london at the time, and knows most of the story, subsquently, inoue sensei came to london to do a course with mike mclure, and if i recall presure point attended this course, circa 1990-93?, and then wkf was formed with kai sensei as the figure head, he fell out with wkf, and also came to london as the guest of dave reubens i think.
seisen None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaincrunch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:14 pm | #34

hello jo
i was there with Mally Holmes in 1994

i completely agree that they are bonkers .
i remember them all going off to 'fast' in the mountains for a couple of days  as some sort of training for when they sent forth their warriors to cleanse the earth after armaggedon!
captaincrunch Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ronin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:59 pm | #35

captaincrunch wrote:hello jo

i remember them all going off to 'fast' in the mountains for a couple of days  as some sort of training for when they sent forth their warriors to cleanse the earth after armaggedon!

Dear Lord!  I seem to remember our training normally included a healthy diet of Curry, Beer and some more beer and curry!  Not a mountain or fast in sight!
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Ronin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaincrunch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:55 pm | #36

Ronin wrote:
captaincrunch wrote:hello jo

Dear Lord!  I seem to remember our training normally included a healthy diet of Curry, Beer and some more beer and curry!  Not a mountain or fast in sight!

to be honest i think they were the clever ones ,we all ended up sampling a typical village peasant meal that seemed to consist of fat and hairy skin.
the only ones who could keep it down (apart for the locals who seemed to love it) were the aussie father and son with us who thought it was great tucker
so in hindsight maybe we should have gone for the fasting option :lol:  :lol:
captaincrunch Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby seisen » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:00 pm | #37

a little unfair on KYR!!!,
yep bonkers, but they had a fair number of senior grades who were all reiki,alternative,yoga,massage therapists as well as police/military cqb/bodyguard instructors, a wierd mix, but this did lead to them being seen as a little eccentric, by your average martial artists!!

If I recall, they did all head off to the mountains during that course but it was for a rockclimbing/abseiling course and also some `` driver training`` course for people who needed adavanced driving skills for bodyguard work,

as villamoura/algarve very close to spain there much interchange between the spansh police and kyr and of course the portugese police, with kyr instructors often going over to train on the ranges or do cqb work in spain, as part of there trip.

the off to fast in the mountains was probably a smoke screen for one of these trips!!!, I think if the majority of people knew there was a trip to a range to practise handgun skills, there would have been a lot more people off to fast in the mountains!!!, also the beer and curry in spain was very good if i recall.
seisen None specified

Postby captaincrunch » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:33 pm | #38

seisen wrote:a little unfair on KYR!!!,
yep bonkers, but they had a fair number of senior grades who were all reiki,alternative,yoga,massage therapists as well as police/military cqb/bodyguard instructors, a wierd mix, but this did lead to them being seen as a little eccentric, by your average martial artists!!

If I recall, they did all head off to the mountains during that course but it was for a rockclimbing/abseiling course and also some `` driver training`` course for people who needed adavanced driving skills for bodyguard work,

as villamoura/algarve very close to spain there much interchange between the spansh police and kyr and of course the portugese police, with kyr instructors often going over to train on the ranges or do cqb work in spain, as part of there trip.

the off to fast in the mountains was probably a smoke screen for one of these trips!!!, I think if the majority of people knew there was a trip to a range to practise handgun skills, there would have been a lot more people off to fast in the mountains!!!, also the beer and curry in spain was very good if i recall.

respects jo

ah that would explain everything including the spanish ninja that was telling us all that he was really a secret agent :roll:

seriously though i am sure that the vast majority of the kyr are very good

regards
Brian
Last edited by captaincrunch on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captaincrunch Male

Postby Mr Benn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:51 pm | #39

I cant believe I have read this whole thread without one mention of Bartjitsu...

so here is it

Bart Jitsu

(damn that's 2 mentions)
as if by magic the shopkeeper appeared
"good morning, what costume would you like to try today" he asked.
Mr Benn thought for a while and said
"can I try the hideous yellow shorts and the sweat stained t shirt please"
Mr Benn None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Nazareth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 pm | #40

Did you mean Bartitsu, or is this Bart Simpson's martial art?
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:46 pm | #41

Nazareth wrote:Bart Simpson's martial art?

You're DANned if you do and you're DANned if you don't?
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby eugenemcfadden » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:00 am | #42

Ah, Bartitsu, the original mix martial art (tm).  Only with street applications.  But, aye, Bartitisu brought jujitsu to the UK in a major way and then it stuck around and changed heavily...

Eugene

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KroSha » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 pm | #43

Into Mr Chummley-Warner's "Methods of Self Defense"?
"Fool, haven't you realised yet? There is nothing that can't be beaten in, or out of you." - UKR
"A warrior's greatest weapons are mental and physical agility, coupled with adaptibility."
It comes in pints?!?
KroSha Male
Hobbit Hardcase

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Nazareth » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm | #44

KroSha wrote:Into Mr Chummley-Warner's "Methods of Self Defense"?
It's spelled "Cholmondley", you oik :P

How about Adam Adamant? :o:
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Postby eugenemcfadden » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:14 am | #45

Clearly Adam Adamant learnt the fine art of jujitsu whilst in the Victorian times and then brought it forward with him to the 60's where he taught the creators of the BJJA/WJJF, thereby explaining the lineage gap.

You may have something here.

Eugene

PreviousNext

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup