Jitsu Chic?

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jitsu Chic?

Postby JitsuJin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:44 pm | #1

Hey all,   :)

I was out picking up a few bits and pieces at a local Tesco Metro the other night and noticed a woman, a white belt as it happens, wearing her gi while walking around with her basket. It could have been from any number of styles obviously, and as she was probably a beginner I was tempted to ask. Anyway my question is this;

Have you, or would you ever wear your gi anywhere other than your dojo?

I happened to think it was pretty cool, though I'm unsure whether I'd ever see an occasion where I would do the same.
JitsuJin Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby aiki-jitsoo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:03 pm | #2

I personally stopped wearing my gi to training when i got to about 10 years old  :) Doubt it would to my 'street cred' any favours at all nowadays  :lol:
aiki-jitsoo Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rne02 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:55 pm | #3

I wouldn't wear it in anywhere other than at the club no.

It does remind me of a sight I often see on my way to training.  There is a woman who runs a Karate club run by that organisation that sell do to door and give you your own club and a black belt (with a white stripe down it) even though your only a purple belt, once you've passed a multiple choice quesitonnaire.  (is it the GKR?).

She makes me laugh as even in the depths of winter she walks down the street with her coat wide open so that everyone can see her black belt (with a white stripe down it).

She is so proud of her pretend black belt, it always makes me chuckle.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby jitsukat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:04 pm | #4

JitsuJin wrote:Have you, or would you ever wear your gi anywhere other than your dojo?

I've changed into mine in the back of a taxi!

Also, I've been in a group of people leaving training to go to the pub, all in gis.
The rose is the freedom of the rose tree
jitsukat None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby wayne » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:17 pm | #5

I wear gi bottoms and a t-shirt on my way to training and just pop my gi top and belt on when I get there (no proper changing rooms at our venue).  I usually do the same thing on the way home as well so it's not unusual to find my walking around the nearby Tesco picking up some milk whilst wearing gi bottoms and a t-shirt (no belt!).

I quite often bump into one or two other guys from the club who do the same.
wayne Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JitsuJin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:18 pm | #6

rne02 wrote:I wouldn't wear it in anywhere other than at the club no.

It does remind me of a sight I often see on my way to training.  There is a woman who runs a Karate club run by that organisation that sell do to door and give you your own club and a black belt (with a white stripe down it) even though your only a purple belt, once you've passed a multiple choice quesitonnaire.  (is it the GKR?).

She makes me laugh as even in the depths of winter she walks down the street with her coat wide open so that everyone can see her black belt (with a white stripe down it).

She is so proud of her pretend black belt, it always makes me chuckle.

HA! Whatever makes her happy. Hopefully that includes thugs who like to see if they can take on a "karate master" (albeit probably with a weapon).
JitsuJin Male

Postby JitsuJin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:31 pm | #7

wayne wrote:I wear gi bottoms and a t-shirt on my way to training and just pop my gi top and belt on when I get there (no proper changing rooms at our venue).  I usually do the same thing on the way home as well so it's not unusual to find my walking around the nearby Tesco picking up some milk whilst wearing gi bottoms and a t-shirt (no belt!).

I quite often bump into one or two other guys from the club who do the same.

jitsukat wrote:
JitsuJin wrote:Have you, or would you ever wear your gi anywhere other than your dojo?

I've changed into mine in the back of a taxi!

Also, I've been in a group of people leaving training to go to the pub, all in gis.

Thats interesting, I've considered wearing the gi bottoms to training as none of the venues have changing facilities, though I cycle to all my sessions and I'm anal about my gi being pristine. Until training starts of course, and I'm face down on the mat with a knee in my shoulder, lol!

When summer rolls around I'll probably do some sparring in a park with a friend who started last week. Probably not in gis though. Grass stains n all.
JitsuJin Male

Postby JitsuJin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 pm | #8

aiki-jitsoo wrote:I personally stopped wearing my gi to training when i got to about 10 years old  :) Doubt it would to my 'street cred' any favours at all nowadays  :lol:

Must be a very relaxed club :)
JitsuJin Male

Postby aiki-jitsoo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:39 pm | #9

JitsuJin wrote:
aiki-jitsoo wrote:I personally stopped wearing my gi to training when i got to about 10 years old  :) Doubt it would to my 'street cred' any favours at all nowadays  :lol:

I meant on my way to training, of course I wear a gi when i'm there. But I usually get the train to training, in London at rush hour.  :lol:
Saying that, i've never worn my gi when i've driven there either.
aiki-jitsoo Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JitsuJin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:54 pm | #10

aiki-jitsoo wrote:
JitsuJin wrote:

I meant on my way to training, of course I wear a gi when i'm there. But I usually get the train to training, in London at rush hour.  :lol:
Saying that, i've never worn my gi when i've driven there either.

Haha, my bad  :lol:
JitsuJin Male

Postby captaintau » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:19 pm | #11

I just mine from house to car and car to dojo and back. I have been known to go shopping in my gi bottoms. I find them so comfortable as I often lounge around in them at home after class (I won't put them on specifically for that purpose).
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby scruffy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:23 pm | #12

ive nipped to the shop in gi bottoms and a tshirt after training to get some juice but thats it, i only wear mine at training
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 pm | #13

I get changed at the dojo.  Never wear it outside as I don't feel I need to advertise.  I always think, when I see people wearing gis on the street, that they are trying to make some sort of statement.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Postby JitsuJin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:02 am | #14

captaintau wrote:I just mine from house to car and car to dojo and back. I have been known to go shopping in my gi bottoms. I find them so comfortable as I often lounge around in them at home after class (I won't put them on specifically for that purpose).

scruffy wrote:ive nipped to the shop in gi bottoms and a tshirt after training to get some juice but thats it, i only wear mine at training

Hirsty wrote:I get changed at the dojo.  Never wear it outside as I don't feel I need to advertise.  I always think, when I see people wearing gis on the street, that they are trying to make some sort of statement.

Cool, thanks for satisfying my curiosity guys and girls :) I think the general consensus here is that most people who are found wearing some or all of their gi outside of training, are either going to or coming from training. Interesting comment Hirsty about the statement/advertising aspect, as I was curious as to which club the judoka/jistuka/karateka/aikidoka attended. Of course there is the chance she was going to or coming from a fancy dress party, or just happened to live in her gi like some of my favourite capcom creations of all time... or maybe its a new fashion trend. :)
JitsuJin Male

Postby Daftbugger » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:45 pm | #15

Are you sure it wasn't a TKD dobok? It tends to be TKD people who parade around in their doboks outside training.
:noddy:
Daftbugger Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Next

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup