Jitsu Chic?

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby Goober » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:13 pm | #16

JitsuJin wrote:
rne02 wrote:I wouldn't wear it in anywhere other than at the club no.

It does remind me of a sight I often see on my way to training.  There is a woman who runs a Karate club run by that organisation that sell do to door and give you your own club and a black belt (with a white stripe down it) even though your only a purple belt, once you've passed a multiple choice quesitonnaire.  (is it the GKR?).

She makes me laugh as even in the depths of winter she walks down the street with her coat wide open so that everyone can see her black belt (with a white stripe down it).

She is so proud of her pretend black belt, it always makes me chuckle.


HA! Whatever makes her happy. Hopefully that includes thugs who like to see if they can take on a "karate master" (albeit probably with a weapon).


Hopefully?

Did you really just wish a mugging on someone, purely because you don't approve of people wearing gis in public?
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
User avatar
Goober None specified
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Location: Loughborough
Karma: 5

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby JitsuJin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:52 pm | #17

Goober wrote:
JitsuJin wrote:
rne02 wrote:I wouldn't wear it in anywhere other than at the club no.

It does remind me of a sight I often see on my way to training.  There is a woman who runs a Karate club run by that organisation that sell do to door and give you your own club and a black belt (with a white stripe down it) even though your only a purple belt, once you've passed a multiple choice quesitonnaire.  (is it the GKR?).

She makes me laugh as even in the depths of winter she walks down the street with her coat wide open so that everyone can see her black belt (with a white stripe down it).

She is so proud of her pretend black belt, it always makes me chuckle.


HA! Whatever makes her happy. Hopefully that includes thugs who like to see if they can take on a "karate master" (albeit probably with a weapon).


Hopefully?

Did you really just wish a mugging on someone, purely because you don't approve of people wearing gis in public?


No. It was more highligting a possible risk of parading around town wearing a "black belt", one of which I hope shes well aware of. I am human, though it doesn't say in my profile. I also respect peoples will to wear their gi as they choose. The thread was investigating the matter on an impartial basis, after a recent trip to Tescos :)
JitsuJin Male
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Karma: 3

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby JitsuJin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:56 pm | #18

Daftbugger wrote:Are you sure it wasn't a TKD dobok? It tends to be TKD people who parade around in their doboks outside training.


Hmmm.... it's possible. It could even have been a karate gi worn to a TKD class. To be honest I've not spent time looking at doboks enough to be able to differentiate them from say, a karate gi (unless its one of those with the black collar). That said, it didn't look like what I would call a judo or jujitsu gi.
JitsuJin Male
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Karma: 3

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby captaintau » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:50 pm | #19

JitsuJin wrote:
Daftbugger wrote:Are you sure it wasn't a TKD dobok? It tends to be TKD people who parade around in their doboks outside training.
Hmmm.... it's possible. It could even have been a karate gi worn to a TKD class. To be honest I've not spent time looking at doboks enough to be able to differentiate them from say, a karate gi (unless its one of those with the black collar). That said, it didn't look like what I would call a judo or jujitsu gi.


MOST Karate dogi are "crossover" and MOST TKD dobok are "pullover".

I can't speak for all TKD but for the most part the black collar is reserved for Dan grades.
User avatar
captaintau Male
Genre Definer
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Location: Worcester
Karma: 41

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby Nazareth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:55 pm | #20

The only time I even wore my gi bottoms in public was when Pressurepoint caused me to rip my jeans in half - PRIOR to training.

I've trained in open air once though, but I can't recall if that session was in jeans or just loose clothing.

Jitsu, chic? I think not... :-D
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby JitsuJin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:49 pm | #21

captaintau wrote:
JitsuJin wrote:
Daftbugger wrote:Are you sure it wasn't a TKD dobok? It tends to be TKD people who parade around in their doboks outside training.
Hmmm.... it's possible. It could even have been a karate gi worn to a TKD class. To be honest I've not spent time looking at doboks enough to be able to differentiate them from say, a karate gi (unless its one of those with the black collar). That said, it didn't look like what I would call a judo or jujitsu gi.


MOST Karate dogi are "crossover" and MOST TKD dobok are "pullover".

I can't speak for all TKD but for the most part the black collar is reserved for Dan grades.


Ohhhh I see (brief google image search). I think I had seen that with the Dan doboks, but not noticed with the guk doboks. To be honest I rarely see pictures of non Dan Taekdondo... students (for a brief moment my fingers wanted to type taekwondoka). Not surprising considering how its become now. Its one of the things that I dare say perplexes one of my Senseis. In our style it takes at least a decade to reach first Dan. I think his gripe is more with the standards. A purple belt at our club has shown me a few things on occassion, and I never fail to be blown away by how amazing he is. The attention to detail, the accuracy, the speed, its just awesome to see  8O . I want to be THAT good. If possible...
JitsuJin Male
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Karma: 3

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby JitsuJin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:17 pm | #22

Nazareth wrote:The only time I even wore my gi bottoms in public was when Pressurepoint caused me to rip my jeans in half - PRIOR to training.

I've trained in open air once though, but I can't recall if that session was in jeans or just loose clothing.

Jitsu, chic? I think not... :-D


In half?! Wow... actually how on Earth did that happen? haha!

Open air training appeals to me, at least in the warmer months. Ah thats something, I wonder if the BJJ guys are any different, with their multiple patches and advertising to rival the Formula 1 GP...
JitsuJin Male
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Karma: 3

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby Nazareth » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:19 am | #23

He put on a very quick wristlock when we were horsing around, causing me to drop to one knee fairly quickly. With an amazing ripping sound effect and a sudden cooling effect on my nether regions...

IIRC this was also the time when KK's son turned to PP's son and said "hello, honey!" :-D
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby JitsuJin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 pm | #24

Nazareth wrote:He put on a very quick wristlock when we were horsing around, causing me to drop to one knee fairly quickly. With an amazing ripping sound effect and a sudden cooling effect on my nether regions...

IIRC this was also the time when KK's son turned to PP's son and said "hello, honey!" :-D


Haha! If that happened on the street to a thug I'd likely die of laughter :D
JitsuJin Male
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Karma: 3

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby nz_ROB » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:37 am | #25

So why do we even wear Gi's or doboks or, indeed, any "special" item of clothing in the dojo if these items never appear in public - except on rare occasions - surely we'd all be better of training in items of clothing we wear in the street to get a better feeling of self defence and working with reality?
nz_ROB
Guest
Guest
 

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby Hirsty » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:35 am | #26

That is a whole different thread.  There is the tradition element to it.  I tend towards tracksuit bottoms and t-shirt nowadays.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
User avatar
Hirsty Male
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Location: Perth, Scotland
Karma: 6

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby captaintau » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:06 pm | #27

nz_ROB wrote:So why do we even wear Gi's or doboks or, indeed, any "special" item of clothing in the dojo if these items never appear in public - except on rare occasions - surely we'd all be better of training in items of clothing we wear in the street to get a better feeling of self defence and working with reality?

There are several good reasons for wearing a dogi and even more not so good ones. Your point is valid and many styles do indeed train sometimes or entirely in normal clothing. Let's not abbandon the dogi though.
User avatar
captaintau Male
Genre Definer
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Location: Worcester
Karma: 41

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby JitsuJin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:23 pm | #28

nz_ROB wrote:So why do we even wear Gi's or doboks or, indeed, any "special" item of clothing in the dojo if these items never appear in public - except on rare occasions - surely we'd all be better of training in items of clothing we wear in the street to get a better feeling of self defence and working with reality?


I tend to think that its not the clothes you're in, but the mindset. Though maybe for reality's sake, we should all start roaming the streets in our gis', hehe (j/k).
JitsuJin Male
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Karma: 3

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby JitsuJin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:49 pm | #29

JitsuJin wrote:
nz_ROB wrote:So why do we even wear Gi's or doboks or, indeed, any "special" item of clothing in the dojo if these items never appear in public - except on rare occasions - surely we'd all be better of training in items of clothing we wear in the street to get a better feeling of self defence and working with reality?


I tend to think that its not the clothes you're in, but the mindset. Though maybe for reality's sake, we should all start roaming the streets in our gis', hehe (j/k).


That said, there is evidence to support the idea that we retrieve information from memory easier when we are in the same or similar environment to that in which we stored the information. Whether this extends to physical motor skills and muscle memory I'm unsure, though taken to its logical conclusion, perhaps we should all train in everyday clothes/clubbing clothes (or any clothes we're more likely to be attacked in) and train in dojos that simulate a nightclub, an alleyway, a dark glass strewn carpark at 2am (or any other places we're more likely to be attacked). Its certainly food for thought.

Jujitsu came out of a country where tradition and formality are huge parts of the culture, though it was not created for anything other than pragmaticism and survival. In creating a carbon copy of the practises regardless of their efficacy are we not moving away from the "spirit" of jujitsu? Is it not possible for two identical martial arts practised in two identical ways in identical settings to actually be very different and therefore effective to different degrees based upon the socio historical context? One being practical and the other being like a reinactment of centuries old practise when much more effective practises could very well be observed?

Despite being a noob, I tend to think of Jujitsu as a set of principles and not a cookie cutter production line martial art (unless we're talking Koryu). At the end of the day I suppose it comes down to what you want from it, but it is what it is. However, as captaintau pointed out, there are many reasons for wearing a gi. One that springs to mind is the cost effectiveness. My 17th century Japanese peasant costume is costs much less to replace than anything from next, or even tkmaxx, and maybe even primark. More fashionable? Not this century :)

Feel free to pick that apart, criticise etc. Its the scientific way :)
JitsuJin Male
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Karma: 3

Re: Jitsu Chic?

Postby Nazareth » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:03 pm | #30

17th century peasant's costume?

I thought gis were developed in the 19th/20th century as the equivalent of a tracksuit - a stylised kimono for designed for exercise and grappling.

Apparently, karate was practised in street clothes until the 1920s.

I remember a fun session at Pressurepoint's in street clothes back in 2005. It's interesting how your perception of someone's ability changes when you don't have an obi for handy reference ;)

I currently (well, sporadically) train boxing and there's no air of tradition about it - it's t-shirt and shorts and trainers. However, it's an older martial art than most of the j(i)(u)-j(i)(u)tsu, Judo. Karate and TKD out there...
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 

PreviousNext

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup

cron