Who was bullied as a child?

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Who was bullied as a child?

Postby nry » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 pm | #1

Random one following up from another thread of mine - who was bullied and who fully or partly took up martial arts as a response to the bullying?

I was 'pushed' into Judo by my mother at 15, who felt it would help my (and my brother's) self confidence.  JJ was introduced by the Judo instructor and I ended up moving to JJ exclusively as it was generally more aimed at self defence which was what I did and do want - pretty much stemming from my childhood issues with bullying/self confidence (which luckily didn't end up in any majorly violent situations).  I cannot now ever see a time in life where I would want to keep training, it seems ingrained in my character.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Who was bullied as a child?

Postby rne02 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 pm | #2

Despite being easily the smallest kid in my year once I went up to Secondary school (is it still called that now?) I was never bullied.

I made people laugh, so everyone in my year seemed to think I was ok, and either by dumb luck or other reasons the kids in the higher years left me alone as well.

Taking up martial arts was solely down to me catching the tail end of the Bruce Lee obsession of the 70's.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm | #3

I was bullied at my school.  

A very violent place where there were stabbing/slashings, people put into comas, thrown from the top of balconies, acid attacks, gang violence, nunchuckkas, golf balls in socks, baseball bats, chains, etc.  It was a catholic school.

My mother wouldn't allow me to do MAs so I snuck off and learned on my own.  The best thing it gave me was confidence, awareness and better posture.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:05 pm | #4

I was bullied at primary and secondary school - although they were relatively civilised places compared to Hirsty's Alma Mater.  I avoided, and in extremis reported it to staff, eventually I learned enough assertiveness to confront it and it went away.

I took up martial arts first after I'd left school and frankly the only thing I've ever needed for real has been breakfalling.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:07 pm | #5

Ahh, you say that, but I wonder how many spider-sense moments you've had and therefore avoided situations you may not have seen without any training?  Which could be none I guess, though I've used more break falls in real life than I've had spider-sense moments personally :)
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:11 pm | #6

nry wrote:Ahh, you say that, but I wonder how many spider-sense moments you've had and therefore avoided situations you may not have seen without any training?  Which could be none I guess, though I've used more break falls in real life than I've had spider-sense moments personally :)

That is a fair point.

Occasions where my MA training has been used to avoid conflict are probably considerable.  Occasions where I've actually touched somebody who was threatening me - nil.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm | #7

I think some Ki practitioners may also suggest they've never touched an attacker :)
nry Male

Postby Genghis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:05 pm | #8

nry wrote:I think some Ki practitioners may also suggest they've never touched an attacker :)

Well there was that one time....

G

Chi practitioner, but in support of good solid Jiu Jitsu, not the other way around.

Genghis None specified

Postby OneDragons » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:06 am | #9

...at band camp.   :lol:
The many within One!

Greek Proverb "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
OneDragons None specified

Postby scruffy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:05 pm | #10

yep, i was bullied badly at school (wore glasses, fat and had frizzy hair) so a friend introduced me to TJF JJ and i've never looked back since, many happy times with the club and have met loads of friends (decent ones!)

the bullies at my school can go f**k themselves! :)
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup