Post Videos of Yourself or Club!

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Videos of Yourself or Club!

Postby aiki-jitsoo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:02 am | #1

I think it could be good to have a thread where we post videos of what we do, so we can share techniques, show off, compare styles or laugh at ourselves. Maybe it could be a interesting thread for new people to the forum, giving them an insight to who we are, and a chance for them to show us what they can do too?

I know Captaintau posts a lot of videos, what do you guys think?

aiki-jitsoo Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Post Videos of Yourself or Club!

Postby captaintau » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:21 am | #2

captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:52 am | #3

How can you teach a punch defence for a blind person?  You lose all ability to know an attack is coming in surely?

Random thought after watching a few videos :)

First video in the first post seems to take an awfully long time to do anything, it's all swirly wirly before you finally get to the technique?  Irimi nage could be much earlier in that whole process, is the video showing some other principle(s) rather than being a practical example?
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 am | #4

We have some awesome vids on out website.

www.jitsu.me

Personally, my favourite is the one with the lightsabres.... http://www.jitsu.me/Aiuchi_in_Action_-_ ... stuff.html
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:33 am | #5

sorry, the proper star wars vid is on this page:

http://www.jitsu.me/Aiuchi_in_Action.html
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Postby aiki-jitsoo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:10 am | #6

nry wrote:How can you teach a punch defence for a blind person?  You lose all ability to know an attack is coming in surely?

Random thought after watching a few videos :)

First video in the first post seems to take an awfully long time to do anything, it's all swirly wirly before you finally get to the technique?  Irimi nage could be much earlier in that whole process, is the video showing some other principle(s) rather than being a practical example?

Hi nry. You've got a valid point as I could have executed an irimi nage much earlier, in fact straight after the block of the strike which would be much more practical. However, our style is Aiki-Jitsu which as i'm sure you're aware has aspects of aikido movements, as well as the Ju-Jitsu. This technique was more for show and supposed to be a bit fancy. I think it shows fluidity of aikido, and directness of straight Ju-Jitsu with the throw/takedown.
aiki-jitsoo Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 am | #7

Fair enough :)  What is the purpose of the initial roundy roundy part?  It doesn't look like you've affected the balance of the uke at all?
nry Male

Postby captaintau » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am | #8

nry wrote:How can you teach a punch defence for a blind person?

With difficulty, and I agree with you. BUT the method that I've shown there enables the Spirit Combat forms, including defences against strikes, to be performed by blind people.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am | #9

aiki-jitsoo wrote:Hi nry. You've got a valid point as I could have executed an irimi nage much earlier, in fact straight after the block of the strike which would be much more practical. However, our style is Aiki-Jitsu which as i'm sure you're aware has aspects of aikido movements, as well as the Ju-Jitsu. This technique was more for show and supposed to be a bit fancy. I think it shows fluidity of aikido, and directness of straight Ju-Jitsu with the throw/takedown.

You're right, but your circles could have been used better, for example for breaking kuzushi or taking account of another attack.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Postby nry » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 am | #10

captaintau wrote:

With difficulty, and I agree with you. BUT the method that I've shown there enables the Spirit Combat forms, including defences against strikes, to be performed by blind people.

If it's just so they can practise the forms then superb, otherwise I'm not convinced on practical application for a non-sighted person to block an incoming attack.  Things change once they have contact with the attacker though, you're then working on touch which may well be heightened for blind or partially sighted people.
nry Male

Postby captaintau » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm | #11

nry wrote:
captaintau wrote:

If it's just so they can practise the forms then superb, otherwise I'm not convinced on practical application for a non-sighted person to block an incoming attack.  Things change once they have contact with the attacker though, you're then working on touch which may well be heightened for blind or partially sighted people.

And that's exactly what the video was all about.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Postby nry » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:23 pm | #12

Okie dokie, makes sense on that level then :)
nry Male

Postby nry » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 pm | #13

There are no videos of our club on YouTube or anywhere online, though there are some Motoha Yoshin Ryu videos around (Also some of our Soke, Yasumoto Akiyoshi) from foreign clubs and of the visits Soke makes to the clubs around the world.  Think I'll try to get some organised of the UK club in the near future :)
nry Male

Postby BrassMan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:38 pm | #14

Not an event I was at, but the Wallace Collection is well worth a look.

The gym I go to has a very limited youtube presence.
"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."
BrassMan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Lorio » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:14 pm | #15

Here is the youtube channel for my dojo: http://www.youtube.com/lorioco

There are videos of me and my other instructor doing techniques, vids about my new ground defense book, etc. Enjoy! :)
In the mud and the blood and the beer...
Lorio Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup