WTF

Seriously  WTF??

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

WTF

Postby Blackbelt007 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 pm | #1

Keep passing the open windows!
Blackbelt007 Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: WTF

Postby Genghis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 pm | #2

Oh dear, yet another devaluing of the black piece of cloth.

Not to mention some rather dubious parenting.  A 5 year old should NOT be training in any bloody thing 5 times a week.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 am | #3

No, it's Kickboxing, not World Taekwondo.

But yes, I agree. Britain's youngest Black Belt, eh? Someone will try to beat the record.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:47 am | #4

One of these stories seems to pop up every year.  All they do is belittle what serious MAist are attempting to achieve.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rne02 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm | #5

I don't see the problem.  BB just means you have a basic ability to perform the techniques, it does not mean you are skilled.  That comes with more years of training.  

Far too much nonsense is attached to BB as if it is some high level, it isn't it's just when the real learning starts, like passing your driving test.  
If they have an ability to perform the basics then let these kids grade to BB.

Just because the public view a BB as some super deadly ninja, doesn't mean we have to believe that Bull*** too.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 am | #6

Fair point rne - the western take on a 'black belt' is often different to the original art's.  Certainly for Koryu JJ, the Japanese treat a black belt as you say - a firm understanding of the basics, but by no means is it an understanding or even awareness of every single technique.  Some don't even have coloured belts in Japan, just white or black.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:06 pm | #7

But a symbol is a symbol, and we invest things into it.

I have a couple of degrees, which I worked my balls off for, and so I tend to get upset about "degree mills" that sell apparently equivalent qualifications for "life experience".  

I have a black belt, I'm very proud of it, I went through a lot over a lot of years to earn it. I had to show a lot of dedication and hard work to get to that point, not to mention the pain of a grading run by KK!   So yes, I do regard it as important, and that handing it over to somebody who seems highly unlikely to have shown the understanding and dedication that I did.

Put it another way, can that 6 year old "dan grade" take a class, explain the reasons for all their techniques, or learn and develop their own way of doing things independently?  

Sorry, but symbols and titles do matter both to those who hold them, and those who don't and standards in awards of symbols and titles therefore matter as much.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby nry » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 am | #8

The child in the post has trained for around 3 years if I recall, and there was a huge degree of dedication - not sure we could argue that a child can't be dedicated, even at a young age.

I have no expectations for any dan grade to teach or take a class - teaching is, for me, separate to your own MA skills.  Having a black belt in no way implies you are able to teach others.  I have met many black belts over the years who sucked at teaching but were technically excellent themselves.  I also don't know if there is need to develop your own thing independently.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby scruffy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm | #9

he couldn't even talk properly when he started!
bit too young for my liking, i've taught 5 years olds and they are a flaming nightmare to teach!
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup