OCD and martial arts - hand in hand?

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

OCD and martial arts - hand in hand?

Postby nry » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 am | #1

Curious how common OCD is within those who train in martial arts?  I am mild myself, but I like things lined up, straight, tidy etc. but not in any silly way.

At least two others I know of are similar to me, one is by far worse :)

Any other OCD'ers out there?
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: OCD and martial arts - hand in hand?

Postby captaintau » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm | #2

I admit that I get very anal about things. E.G. correct belt tie, correct dogi wrap, use of the word "stomach." I don't obsess over it but I am keen to maintain standards. My thoughts are that if the basics of disciplin are in place then everything else should fit into place too.

Is that me as a person or me as a Martial Artist? I don't have OCD but I am organised (in certain aspects) to the point of annoyance to others. My DVDs are in alphabetic order and I am known for pedantry.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Daftbugger » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:09 pm | #3

I'm really not, at all. I'm not hugely disorganised, it's more organised choas. It might be why I've been at light blue belt for such a long time, mind you!
:noddy:
Daftbugger Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thauma » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:30 pm | #4

I would say no, but Unfortunately my close friends would say DEFINITELY YES

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby scruffy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:09 pm | #5

I'm quite particular about my dvds (in series order and genres) and my books (books by the same author together and genre)
I'm just abit fussy about my stuff, gotta be right (in my head) and if anyone messes with my stuff, then i get stroppy!

Not OCD just fussy
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Daftbugger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 pm | #6

My books are in whatever order I chucked them on the shelf. I rarely read one more than once, other than recipe books and other reference books.
:noddy:
Daftbugger Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 pm | #7

My partner has said I'm a control freak.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup