winged gi

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

winged gi

Postby scruffy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:17 pm | #1

Seeing as UKR wont let me have his old winged gi (meanie!!)

does anywhere still sell  winged gi (old school TJF gi) ?

i really really want one!!!
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: winged gi

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 am | #2

not that i'm aware of. Perhaps try and get one second hand, if you are that desperate...
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Daftbugger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 pm | #3

Have you actually tried asking Miloms if they have any left in stock? Thier website's still going, so I assume they are still in business.
:noddy:
Daftbugger Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby scruffy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:39 am | #4

oooo thanks daftie! will look into that! xx

scruffy Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rne02 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:05 pm | #5

"Winged gi", What are you Batgril?

lol
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:22 pm | #6

It's one of those eccentricities of a certain organisation, who also think that "Jitsu" without anything attached to the left of it is a martial art in its own right, and 45 minutes of warmup in a 90 minute session make you a better martial artist.

Blitz "Jujitsu" gis are a hell of a lot smarter than the judo gis used by many JJ clubs, and a good alternative.  To be fair, the old TJF winged gis did look very good.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby rne02 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 pm | #7

Are they actually winged though as in have webbing between the sleeve and body like some sort of skydiving suit?
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Daftbugger » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:18 pm | #8

The old TJF gi's were designed in the 80's and had extended shoulders - which were folded over and sewn in place. Personally, I think they are rubbish - they look crap on women and the wings always tore out, making the sleeves even more too long than they were already. Shame the gallery has gone, I'm sure there were pictures of me wearing one, somewhere.

Blitz jiu jitsu gi's are far thinner than the judo gi's. They may look smarter, but they rip easily. I saw one guy get his sleeve almost completely ripped off! My Milioms gi's are still going after a decade (although minus most of the wings). My Blitz judo ones aren't doing too badily either.
:noddy:
Daftbugger Female

Postby nry » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm | #9

Off topic perhaps, but do gi's more frequently get ripped by the attacker or by the person performing the techniques ripping the attackers gi?
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:53 pm | #10

Daftbugger wrote:The old TJF gi's were designed in the 80's and had extended shoulders - which were folded over and sewn in place. Personally, I think they are rubbish - they look crap on women and the wings always tore out, making the sleeves even more too long than they were already. Shame the gallery has gone, I'm sure there were pictures of me wearing one, somewhere.

Blitz jiu jitsu gi's are far thinner than the judo gi's. They may look smarter, but they rip easily. I saw one guy get his sleeve almost completely ripped off! My Milioms gi's are still going after a decade (although minus most of the wings). My Blitz judo ones aren't doing too badily either.

I've a couple of Blitz JJ gis, and they've weathered extremely well - on the other hand I do Jiu Jitsu, and not Judo in them mostly.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby Blackbelt007 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:16 am | #11

i've got a couple of reversible blue/red sombo jackets for sale, they have the wings!
Keep passing the open windows!
Blackbelt007 Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby scruffy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:31 pm | #12

ooooooh send me pics! x

scruffy Female

Postby kunoichi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 pm | #13

Everyone I've spoken to about the old winged milom gis say they were pretty crap. I think milom might still make them though otherwise they probably have some they made decades ago. :-/

If you really love wings you might want to try and get a sambo jacket / kurtka in white. Although white is a non-standard colour there seem to be some pakistani companies that make them.

Daftbugger wrote:Blitz jiu jitsu gi's are far thinner than the judo gi's. They may look smarter, but they rip easily. I saw one guy get his sleeve almost completely ripped off! My Milioms gi's are still going after a decade (although minus most of the wings). My Blitz judo ones aren't doing too badily either.

My old Blitz (which I think was a jujutsu one rather than judo) lasted about a year in judo and that was after a few years of jitsu. I don't think that's too bad for a cheap gi. One of my Milom "diamond" gis (read "super lightweight") died after just a few months though I think.

Genghis wrote:It's one of those eccentricities of a certain organisation, who also think that "Jitsu" without anything attached to the left of it is a martial art in its own right, and 45 minutes of warmup in a 90 minute session make you a better martial artist.

Do many TJF clubs do this? It's not something I recall when I trained with them about 5 years ago. In any case, fit people are harder to beat up than unfit people.

Genghis wrote:Blitz "Jujitsu" gis are a hell of a lot smarter than the judo gis used by many JJ clubs, and a good alternative.  To be fair, the old TJF winged gis did look very good.

Why are they smarter? If I recall Blitz's jujutsu-gis are the same as their cheap judo gi's but with shorter arms.

If someone wanted a decent gi I would suggest a double weave judogi from a decent manufacturer. The problem is those often have embroidery.

Some manufacturers even produce slim / normal / wide fit varieties.
kunoichi None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 am | #14

Gi's ripping...curious in ways, that MHYR use a light weight gi, more akin to Aikido ones...nothing is based on grip, so I've yet to see one torn...

And whilst there is some truth in fit people being harder to beat up than unfit people, I also begrudge spending my money for JuJitsu training to have a large proportion of a session devoted to things entirely unrelated to the martial art itself...perhaps that's another topic :)
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby OneDragons » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 am | #15

nry wrote:Gi's ripping...curious in ways, that MHYR use a light weight gi, more akin to Aikido ones...nothing is based on grip, so I've yet to see one torn...

And whilst there is some truth in fit people being harder to beat up than unfit people, I also begrudge spending my money for JuJitsu training to have a large proportion of a session devoted to things entirely unrelated to the martial art itself...perhaps that's another topic :)

I suppose it depends if you consider physical ability intrinsic to martial arts or not...
The many within One!

Greek Proverb "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
OneDragons None specified

Next

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup