Took my first full lesson.

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Took my first full lesson.

Postby rne02 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:48 pm | #1

So, as I am sure many of these things end up coming about, I took my first full lesson, unplanned and on twenty minutes notice.

Obviously I have helped lower grades before, and taken warm ups, but never a full lesson.

On top of that, the lesson plan that I composed whilst getting changed, went out the window when a new starter turned up 15 minutes into the lesson.  But I guess that is all part of the way things go, and I managed to muddle through.  Fortunately I am in the middle of an Instructors course that my Sensei is running, which definitely helped, as I think it would have been more daunting had I not been doing the course.

And at least now the lesson plan I composed while getting changed I now have on standby for next time  :)
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Took my first full lesson.

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 pm | #2

Isn't that how all lessons are planned?
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thauma » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 pm | #3

As FTHL, most lessons will be reactive (maybe adaptive is a better phrase).

There may have been a really good plan (at some stage), but the students tend to throw a spanner in the works :-)

Glad you survived the experience though, and now things will go from strength to strength

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 am | #4

Who said "always plan, but always be prepared to throw the plan out?" Or something like that. I always plan classes but the classes that I teach best are the ones where I adapt on the fly based on class interest or questions.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 am | #5

My only formal instructor training was with TJF...15 years ago!  In all fairness I remember little from it.  What I have developed over the years of training is an awareness of how I don't like to be taught and how I do like to be taught.  I've spent time in the past 6-12 months developing my ability to see how somebody can improve and also feel how somebody performs a technique on myself and pick up on what they can improve.

I've been quasi-teaching the kids class for a few months now following on from our sensei who was ill for a number of months - it's all supervised, but nothing beyond dan grades being around at the time as opposed to direction on the teaching itself.

For me, I like structure, I like to be aware of who has done what in recent weeks and what the class as a whole has covered.  I've done some work outside of the dojo researching teaching, including a very good book 'Leading the Way' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... UTF8&psc=1) which I will re-read again soon to get a bit more of it stuck I my head.

I don't have formal plans per-se, only recollection of what stage we got to with things in the previous session, so I can pick up from that point and continue from there - that is fluid enough to let some sessions get further than others depending entirely on who is training and any points which need more work than expected or vice-versa.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rne02 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:16 am | #6

Fluffy_the_happy_lobster wrote:Isn't that how all lessons are planned?

Thankfully no, the proper Instructors have a much better idea of what they are doing than me.

Although sometimes they just come in with a rough idea of what they want to work on, and once they get going one things leads to the next and before we know it the lesson is over.  They usually end up being the most enjoyable ones to be honest.

I have had some idea's of my own lesson plans, but never really progressed them as I thought it would be a long way off ever taking a class.  Am going to get two or three planned out properly though in case it happens again.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rne02 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 am | #7

captaintau wrote:the classes that I teach best are the ones where I adapt on the fly based on class interest or questions.

We get that too, we have two Sensei and they seem to work very well together and bounce idea's off each other on the fly.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Postby rne02 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 am | #8

Thanks nry, might out that book as well I think.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Postby captaintau » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 pm | #9

rne02 wrote:
captaintau wrote:the classes that I teach best are the ones where I adapt on the fly based on class interest or questions.

We get that too, we have two Sensei and they seem to work very well together and bounce idea's off each other on the fly.

That's sensei_amh and I, mainly whilst doing Aikido. We're a double act and there's probably a little competition in there too. The Maltese loved us last year.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:38 am | #10

"    Fluffy_the_happy_lobster wrote:Isn't that how all lessons are planned?

Thankfully no, the proper Instructors have a much better idea of what they are doing than me. "

that's just what they make you think. it's all made up. you're lucky if they are sobre.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup