What age did you start Jujitsu?

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

What age did you start Jujitsu?

Postby Sean 448 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:17 pm | #1

I began learning Jujitsu last year I'm still 15, I wish I'd started much earlier. Just wondering how old you guys were when you got started and how you think that has affected your learning?
Sean 448 Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: What age did you start Jujitsu?

Postby thauma » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:13 pm | #2

42   !!!

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm | #3

I started MA training at about 15 (Ju Jitsu about 18).  I don't think age was as important as maturity level.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 am | #4

I think a more appropriate question is "at what age did you start training in Martial Arts?" Thauma, be honest, what age did you start?

I started training in Lau Gar in 1990, aged 11. I started Jujitsu in 1994. I turned 34 this past weekend. I wish I'd started sooner.

If maturity is an issue, then I've barely done a single session!
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Sean 448 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 am | #5

You're absolutely right captaintau, the more I read on this forum the more I see it as a general martial arts forum.

Hirsty makes an interesting point regarding maturity. There are folks in my club ranging from well into adulthood with families o my sort of age that have this attitude that is less about understanding the basic principles of a technique then applying it in different ways and more about learning the cool stuff. They generally don't stick at it that long but that could just be the way the class is taught (different story  :bang: )
Sean 448 Male

Postby nry » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:13 am | #6

15....a scary 21 years ago!
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Blackbelt007 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:48 am | #7

Started in MA aged 4 now 32. Really feeling ukemi these days!
Keep passing the open windows!
Blackbelt007 Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:27 am | #8

18, nearly 25 years ago.   There's about 7 years break in total, but still 18 years training.  Several arts, but Jiu
Jitsu has always been at the core of it.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby rne02 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:00 am | #9

I was about 8 for a guess when I did Judo, but it didn’t last. I have no idea why.  Dabbled with Karate a couple of times in adulthood, but it never lasted more than a couple of years.

When I was 37 I got the bug again, being a little bit more mature decided this time to do things properly.  I found out every single different class and style that was available in my area and spent time researching them and deciding which would suit me best.  Eventually I decided to try Ju-Jistu .  Circumstances however dictated that I could actually go to my first class until I was 39.  Been training for three and a half years now and rarely miss a lesson, still enjoy it thoroughly.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thauma » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 pm | #10

captaintau wrote:I think a more appropriate question is "at what age did you start training in Martial Arts?" Thauma, be honest, what age did you start?….

:P   :lol: OK - caught out, Judo at 13, and dabbled in Judo (BJA, BJC, IKJ and Zen) depending on where I was living thru to an ancient 41, also tried Karate, KungFu and Aikido, but only really got on with Judo, until  I discovered jitsu at 42, although I which I'd found it way wy back as it is so much more satisfying (for me at least)

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:35 am | #11

ma, about 8 I think (karate). Jitsu at 18. Now 36.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Daftbugger » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:07 pm | #12

I started JJ at 22, with a couple of years of TKD before that.
:noddy:
Daftbugger Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Dave Baker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 pm | #13

Started Martail arts at 8 (mainly Nunchaku and Yawara/Kubotan) and Ju Jitsu 14
Dave Baker Male

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup