Memorable moments

A trip down memory lane - Best course or event

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Memorable moments

Postby thauma » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:48 pm | #1

A note in a separate discussion got me thinking about the moments / courses / events that I've enjoyed. There's quite a few, but I just wondered what yours are.

I think that getting the results from a grading that you've worked hard for are all up there in the list of contenders and are so obvious that I'm not including them in this list.

For me some of the things that things that stand out (in no particular order) are

• Summer Gassaku training in France (organised by FTHL of this parish). - a great experience for a yellow belt where I discovered, that Martial Arts can be about friendship, camaraderie, and all round good fun, that instructors are real people, as well as great training and learning cool techniques.
  • Stepping onto the mat for the first time as an instructor at my own (new) club
  • Being asked (as a brown belt) for technical advice by someone who I greatly respect (2nd Dan) at an instructors only session - and realising that you never stop learning and that humility and courtesy are key to what we do. (A real Eureka moment)
  • Meeting some of the members of this forum at the Bedford RIver Festival and being made welcome.
  • The terror of having FTHL stand a number of paces behind me and hewing the words - don't turn round and prepare to defend yourself……….. he then proceeded to run at me, use one of the UKe's as a spring board and then jumped on my back…..
  • The humour of being attacked with a broom (again by FTHL) at the RIver Festival
So what are the moments that gave you the eureka moment, the big smile, or even just a nice warm feeling (jitsu related of course)

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Memorable moments

Postby captaintau » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 pm | #2

Mostly random:
- Summer 2010 when NZ SCI spent 3 weeks at my place. Awesome time
- SCI summer gradings at Butlins 1996 thru 2000. Not the grading so much as the whole event
- Being made most welcome by Malta SCI last year
- On the 20th anniversary of me starting Martial Arts, I flew to Ireland with Genghis
- Guiness with the BKS in Ireland
- I have some great memories of Bedford River Festival but they lessen with each one
- Walking along Bognor Regis peer with my first SCI club (Butlins grading again.) Hard to think that I have almost nothing to do with that Sensei now
- Having my eyes opened to Kyushu
- Many happy times spent over a pint with my Aikido club.
- The high of my Kickboxing match some eighteen months ago. It was definately the best I'd ever fought and I got much great feedback
- Another instructor telling me how they'd assimilated my proprioception work into their teaching
- Several students, including instructors, complimenting my on my sessions taught at gradings
- This past Sunday two of my students' students became their first to teach 3rd Kyu. It's not only your grading achievement but your students' achievements. And indeed their students'
- Also my first students to reach the first grade and the first to reach Dan grade

There must be more. There are the first things that come to mind.

It is interesting that it is the comraderie every bit as much as the training that defines MA memories.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:19 am | #3

Memorable...good and bad memories :)

Best ones include those moments where something works - perfectly, you get the balance etc.. exactly where you want it.  I have memories of a TJF V as orange belt, tai otoshi really did present itself and bang, felt absolutely right and the person running the V passed comment at the time.

Training a specific throw with HRJJ with a 1st Dan, me Purple, to be told it was hard to tell us apart bar the coloured belts.

Failing my HRJJ Purple grading :)  Daft, but I was happy on that one, I was complimented on my knife defences, and I knew exactly the area I needed to work on, and which two throws I needed to clarify.  Re-sat those areas a month later and passed :)  Hardest grading I've ever done!

Brown Belt grading with Motoha - got very positive comments afterwards...

Then there's the teaching stuff to others and they actually get it - there is one easy but hard technique within Motoha (the first one you ever get taught!) and if I can get a novice to pick this up and improve, I always feel that bit of satisfaction :)
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 pm | #4

I will now add the past week of training during the UK TaiKai for Motoha Yoshin Ryu!  3 nights of training followed by a full weekend 11am-6pm with my Shodan grading last thing yesterday :)  I have no ached this much in many many years :)
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby scruffy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:37 pm | #5

sooo many fun times!

my first senior atemi +randoori nationals (tjf)
Aikido squad training and making the british national team
competeing in the aikido world games in america in 2007

junior TJF summer camp in aberwyswith

too many drunken nights out with UoY jitsu club at the willow

my 21st birthday with my aiki club

PJ2010 in loughborough, meeting everyone there! :)
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Sean 448 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 am | #6

Doesn't seem like much compared to the rest of you but I was uke for some kind of diaphragm paralysing strike today, that stopped me breathing for a wee minute (horrible) and was completely unexpected. I won't forget it in a hurry!
Sean 448 Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thauma » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 am | #7

Sean 448 wrote:Doesn't seem like much compared to the rest of you but………..

Fortunately this isn't  a competition, just a chance to list,  discuss, or talk about what will stay with you for a while, which may lead to other interesting discussions  :D

I have to say that PP and nerve points is something I would like to learn more about - and I guess that's what you are referring to with your post.

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

thauma None specified

Postby nry » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 am | #8

I'll add two bad ones then :)

TJF - On the way up from a 'Judo roll' with the straight leg and something decided to dislike it on my straight leg near my hip, ended up limping for about a week...and to think the instructors on the mat at the time thought I was putting it on...

HRJJ - Shoulder plant into the mat from a sacrifice throw...took a month before I could train again, a good 2-3 months before it was almost back to normal.  Still plays up if I don't exercise the shoulder regularly.  Damaged the rotary cuff area...
nry Male

Postby rne02 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 am | #9

The most recent and vivid Eureka moment came when my Sensei was talking about the connection between weapon and weapon less techniques.  He took a wooden sword and held it out in front of him, then turned 180 degrees and drew the sword over his head in an arc and did a downward strike in front of him.  Then he repeated the move without the sword, which of course similar to a throw.

The Eureka moment was that I realised imagining doing the turn and sword strike when I was throwing was going to be a very good way of thinking of throws as one movement and therefore getting all of my body parts/movements working together.  Before that I had always been trying to think, feet go here, hips go here, this arm does A,  this arm does B etc and all the elements of the my throws I was thinking of individually and everything was disjointed.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:52 am | #10

Many techniques are linked to weapons in that manner, perhaps more common in the older styles rather than the newer Judo-esque ones but I may be wrong.

This whole thing about 'empty hands' is not historically accurate for the most part, most techniques we do can be done with weapon in hand.
nry Male

Postby thauma » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm | #11

I can't disagree about the movement with or without a weapon.

I found it quite enlightening when after many years of judo, the arc of a sword was demonstrated in jiu jitsu in relation to some of the judo throws I'd always struggled with. It made so much more sense of the movement, and amazingly made it easier for me to tie all the circular movement together.

I only wish I'd had that demonstration when I was 13………….

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

thauma None specified

Postby Genghis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:49 pm | #12

The two occasions that my knee got buggered and I ended up walking with a stick for months each time.

The gauntlet on my 3rd dan grading.

Turning up intending just to train as a white belt at a club in Switzerland when I was working there, then being asked to teach the class.  I spoke little Suisser-Deutch, and they spoke little English, so the only time I've ever delivered pretty much a whole class in Japanese.  

A revelatory moment training with Fluffy-the-happy-lobster, when it clicked how Ippon Seionenage really works.

Running a pig carcass through with a sharp sword (and then getting to barbecue part of it).

Ukemi on floor of my living room after I'd been standing looking out of an open door, and lightning struck the back garden 20 feet from me.

Somehow managing to get UK-Ronin to tap out during my shodan-ho grading.

Ukemi over the top of a live sword at the same grading.

KK deciding to do a quick choke-hold demo and use me as his uke - at my own wedding.

Accidentally doing an instinctive, but perfect, arm-bar from a push to a chest: to a drunk beggar just trying to get me to give him a few coins in Basel city centre on a business trip.  I didn't see him coming, honest.

Publishing a research paper on maths, in which I acknowledged the help of Rosi Sexton, and snuck in the name of her gym, carefully "tweaked" to make it look like a university department.

And some damned fine friends made through martial arts, including quite a few members of PJ.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rne02 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 am | #13

nry wrote:Many techniques are linked to weapons in that manner, perhaps more common in the older styles rather than the newer Judo-esque ones but I may be wrong.

This whole thing about 'empty hands' is not historically accurate for the most part, most techniques we do can be done with weapon in hand.

Yes, I had been told that many times but had never really been able to understand or visualise that properly.  AS soon as he did the exact same movement without the sword he was basically doing (what we call) Lapel Shoulder Throw, and that's when I "got it" ;-)
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm | #14

rne02 wrote:
nry wrote:Many techniques are linked to weapons in that manner, perhaps more common in the older styles rather than the newer Judo-esque ones but I may be wrong.

Yes, I had been told that many times but had never really been able to understand or visualise that properly.  AS soon as he did the exact same movement without the sword he was basically doing (what we call) Lapel Shoulder Throw, and that's when I "got it" ;-)

I refer you to The Structure of Aikido: Kenjitsu and Taijitsu Movement Relationships. Aikido is certainly "The Art of the Sword, Without a Sword." I trained is Eskrima for over a year including a weekend camp and seminars with the national head of style. I actually quit a few weeks ago. What Eskrima did was enforce the notion that everything's related. At the SCI Winter Grading recently the subject of weapons training came. I explained in my club now, we do weapons work more than ever before, but we rarely use weapons!
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rne02 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:01 pm | #15

Another would be the opening last year of my new club:-

After training (as we all have I am sure) in school halls, church halls (with heating in the winter which was questionable at best), Scout huts etc etc, not to mention having to lay the mats out before you can train, and stack them all up again at the end of class, to have this available is a dream.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Next

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup