Warm-ups - what do you do?

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warm-ups - what do you do?

Postby nry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 am | #1

Moving from discussions on here and also during training last night, I'm curious what others do for warm ups?

I've seen all sorts over the years:

Lots of exercise-based warm-ups, running, star jumps, push ups, sit ups, stretching etc...

Most move on to break falling practice...

My current style has no warm ups per-se - you start by running through the kata slowly, very gentle stuff.  We have never run through break falls at the start of a session, instead putting this into the appropriate teaching when required.  As such, a 2 hour session is 95% practicing - the other 5% is line up at the beginning/end and even this is not always done depending on who turns up first etc.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Warm-ups - what do you do?

Postby captaintau » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:57 pm | #2

I'm in the process of changing how we do our warm ups. Time is limited so I want to maximise it. Juniors often do games. Adults are doing more "functional" fitness warm ups such as fighting for grips, ukemi etc. They have to include stretching.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:41 pm | #3

What are the benefits of stretching?  I've not done any for years, yet I find no issues arising from it.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thauma » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:45 pm | #4

nay wrote:…... I've not done any for years, yet I find no issues arising from it.

Ahhh!!!!  the benefit of youth, will you be able to say the same when you're 50+

I will admit that some people go overboard with warm-up and stretching, and not necessarily from an 'informed' perspective, so I do think that you need to ensure that you are focussed in this area.
Last edited by thauma on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby BrassMan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:14 pm | #5

nry wrote:What are the benefits of stretching?  I've not done any for years, yet I find no issues arising from it.

People who know more about this than I do tell me that stretching is more valuable after exercise than before. That's not to say that no warm up is fine. See weightlifters going through reps with an empty bar before starting a set.
"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."
BrassMan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 pm | #6

BrassMan wrote:
nry wrote:.....See weightlifters going through reps with an empty bar before starting a set.

Is this not what I said we currently do?  Going gently through the kata, nothing hard etc. before things get any more intense?

I'm 36 in a fortnight - I've had back issues for 7 years, from well before I re-took-up JJ, in the 18 months of JJ with no stretching or 'traditional' warm ups, my back has never caused me problems on the mat or afterwards.

Our Soke visited a few weeks ago - he's 77.  Considering, as far as I know, he has a similar experience of 'warm ups and stretching', I can't see any problems he has related to it.
nry Male

Postby Genghis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 pm | #7

Very little stretching.

Light general exercise to warm the body up.

Rotation or gentle loading of various joints to make sure everything's moving properly.

Typically 20 minutes, then get on with technique, which is what the session is really about.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup