Is planetjitsu dead?

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Is planetjitsu dead?

Postby Genghis » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:20 pm | #1

4 weeks since the last post.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Is planetjitsu dead?

Postby captaintau » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:50 pm | #2

Honest answer: yes.

We've got to a point where there's more spam than real posts (I think I've deleted five spam threads this week.) We aren't attracting new members. We've discussed everything to death. Many of the stalwarts have drifted away. I don't think forums are all that popular these days.

Whereas [ PJ ] used to be my main forum for everything it's now way down my list. I get much more out of the Iain Abernethy forum and indeed the French Car Forum, the British Club and some chats on YouTube and the PC-Pro site.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong then please go ahead. You have my full support. I've got lots of friends (and great training) through [ PJ ] and had some laughs and been made to think. I don't want it to die but I don't know if we can salvage it.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 pm | #3

We can, but it needs to change into an encyclopaedia and info resource so it becomes to main place for all things jitsu.

Clips
club maps
e books
descriptions
syllabus
lineages
etc etc

in its current form yes it is dead, but it doens't need to be. The problem is that to change it in the way required would require lots of JFs (or someone's) time and probably funding.

That said, do it right and there is probably some revenue to be had from advertising etc.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:58 am | #4

What FTHL said.  It is also worth noting that forums still have a place and are still being used.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 am | #5

Nobody argues anymore, bring back what's his name ;)

I do check every few days but if there's nothing new then I don't hang around, I seem to have posted most of my queries over the years too.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thauma » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:07 am | #6

I've been checking on here every couple of days for the last ……..  well…. many years. It has hosted some interesting discussions over the years. In the early days I also found the videos very useful, even though they may now be embarrassing to the 'film-stars'

I agree with FTHL and think that the site needs to be an information resource, which also hosts discussions for those who want them, but to be honest that's a lot of work and probably money too.

From my experience as an instructor (at a Uni club) many of my students seem to be less inclined to use sites like this, they also seem to be less interested in finding' knowledge themselves, and expect to be spoon fed. We've tried various mechanisms from our own website, posting lesson summaries, twitter, Facebook, links and references to other sites (this and others), but yet none seem to join or even show an interest.

As instructors  - Do we know how many of our students are registered here? Also Do we know how many active members we have? (I guess active means two things, those posting, and also those checking the site).

If we had this information would it give an indication as to whether there was any mileage in trying to resurrect this site to its former glory :-)

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Postby rne02 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:33 pm | #7

I think the handful of us there are would be better served by a Facebook group we could share video's links and picture more easily, which always tend to get a better response (at least in terms of views) then purely text posts.

Also Facebook tells you when something is posted, rather than you having to go look for it on a forum.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Urban Fisherman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 pm | #8

thauma wrote:From my experience as an instructor (at a Uni club) many of my students seem to be less inclined to use sites like this, they also seem to be less interested in finding' knowledge themselves, and expect to be spoon fed.

The nerds have all gone to play BJJ:

http://store.scramblestuff.com/Jiu-Jits ... p_191.html
"We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than that only freedom can make security secure." Karl Popper
Urban Fisherman None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby BrassMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:56 pm | #9

PJ mainly caters to modern ju jitsu, which may be dying.

Or the social media explosion of the last few years has made it much easier to get style or interest specific sources.
"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."
BrassMan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jitsufreak » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:43 pm | #10

I am interested in keeping the site alive, if possible. I've been toying around with a simplified, mobile friendly layout; and I did start sketching out a system to provide a Google map with club/dojo markers and info.

I can provide the structure for things like a map, encyclopaedia, syllabus, but I don't have the time to continuously populate it. I abandoned the Technipaedia when I switched the site to the current form, because no-one had submitted any content to it for years. I'm happy to try again, but I can't do everything myself.
Jitsufreak Male
Founder

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:51 pm | #11

I don't think you'd need to populate the structure, but if it is there we can then add stuff if we wish to. I get spammed all the time asking me to add my club to xyz directory etc so there may be a desire for this sot of info.

We could have the map (which I think is very important) but I also think that the posts on it should expire after a year or two if you haven't logged on, so if you aren't at the least popping in your listing evaporates.

Instructor info and lineages might be good too, and might also start some debate...

the technopedia side needs to be simple to use - easy to upload files and find things. Perhaps sections on locks, groundwork, throws and takedowns, and strikes.  

To get the traffic we need the directory of clubs though. that will also keep pj high on search engines.

Just thoughts.

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me

Postby Genghis » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:41 pm | #12

To get the traffic we need the directory of clubs though. that will also keep pj high on search engines.

+1

Making it (whatever else it is) a directory to where to train and how, with whom, very overtly, will make a big difference I hope.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby kunoichi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:44 pm | #13

I hope this doesn't sound overly negative but I find the website to be not very user-friendly. Especially since the last design change.

The forum has a huge number of categories. (I still have no clue how to get access to the TJF specific section.) This makes it hard to keep track of everything. On the previous design I would just look on the right hand side to see the last 10 (or so) discussions that had been posted on. Now I'm not sure how to do this. The main content on the homepage seems to list the most recent topics that have been posted but not the most recently updated (or "posted on" / "replied to").

I'd propose that the website adapt to the lower levels of activity and lock most of the forum categories so that it is easier to keep track of. (Or shove that stuff in some kind of archive.)

It would also be really helpful if there was some mechanism of subscribing to the site. That way I could receive updates on my phone when someone posts something. A mobile friendly site would also be a huge help. I'm afraid I don't know the best mechanism for doing this. I know there are things like "Tapatalk" but I haven't used them and so they could suck big hairy buffalo balls for all I know.

In terms of the technopedia and club directory ideas for the site... I think they could help increase traffic to the website but as mentioned they will represent considerable work. In my opinion Drupal is great for building stuff like that. (I've been really impressed by it.) But I have my doubts as to how well it could handle the forum. (It also has a steep learning curve.)

With regards to Facebook, please for the love of all things holy don't hide content away on Facebook. Not all of us use it a lot, if at all. Also, some of us like to hide our identities so we can more effectively FIGHT THE POWER so putting lots of content on Facebook would require us to make a second account and I doubt the mobile phone apps can even handle that. In my opinion Facebook should be used to promote the website not the other way around!

I hope this was constructive at least...

P.S: I like PJ and am still here (kinda).

P.P.S: I'm sceptical that YouTube comments could ever be more useful than PJ!!!  :lol:
kunoichi None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:39 pm | #14

some good points there I think. Fewer forums, perhaps kill off the style specific ones and consider a design similar to the old version.

Postby uan_ar » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:58 pm | #15

Hope not. :D
uan_ar Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Next

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup