Off to Japan in 8 weeks :)

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Off to Japan in 8 weeks :)

Postby nry » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:42 pm | #1

A once in a lifetime trip quite probably - the Japanese dojo for Moto-ha Yoshin Ryu is hosting a taikai in mid-October and by the luck of current finances I'm joining another 3 from our club who are heading over.  It's a pretty long stay, we fly out on a Tuesday and get back to the UK the following Sunday evening so 13 days including all the travel :)

There will be a good number of people attending from MHYR dojo's around the world, so it should prove both tiring and fun at the same time!

Has anyone else ever trained in Japan?  I've not really travelled much in general, so the long flights should prove interesting, flying isn't something I overly enjoy, too much air beneath my feet :)
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Off to Japan in 8 weeks :)

Postby Hirsty » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 am | #2

Never trained in Japan, nor visited.  You lucky swine!
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 am | #3

I'm pretty stoked as when it was first mentioned last year I thought there was no chance at all, but it's happening - nervous and excited at the same time :)
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rne02 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:04 am | #4

hope you enjoy it :-)

Look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:21 am | #5

Will attempt to get some photos :)
nry Male

Postby nry » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:16 pm | #6

Well, 8 weeks is now 4 weeks...to the day actually!  4 weeks today I'll be at Amsterdam waiting for the flight to Osaka...all 10.5 hours of it :)

Got most stuff ready, just waiting for another gi to take, the weather over there is hot hot hot, and I think I'll happily manage to sweat through just the one!
nry Male

Postby nry » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:31 pm | #7

Plenty of photos, sorry :)

Pretty much in order of being taken, any questions about them please ask!  The trip was immense, but very tiring - the flights were really long and the 8 hour time difference resulted in a decent amount of jet lag, took 3 days+ to get over it on the way there.  The return flights started in the morning from Japan and ended up back in the UK during the UK evening which I think has compressed it all nicely, I don't feel half as bad so far and sleep patterns are so far almost normal!

We managed to get on local TV for the taikai itself, and I also randomly managed to get interviewed by a local TV station when visiting Matsue Castle although I got no footage of this.  The TV footage below (if it works?) is a kata demo, I pass no comment on quality of the video or the JuJutsu, I'm the one being Uke right at the end.

We managed to see masses of local landmarks and also the culture, both the rural side of things and the urban side (Osaka).  There is a massive difference between these two, and an even larger difference between Japan and the UK.  It feels a very repressed culture, with lots of unusual habits (the whole shoes on/off, no tips to waiters etc. being two examples).

Anyhow, enjoy the pictures, not many of actual training, but I am trying to get copies from the others who went from England as they got more of this type of thing!

Gallery on my website:

http://www.nryonline.co.uk/motoha-yoysh ... ikai-2013/
nry Male

Postby rne02 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:37 pm | #8

Looks like you had a great time, thanks for sharing.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup