Club search

Newbie looking for personal recommendations

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Club search

Postby Greyfolk55 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:36 pm | #1

Picking up on a thread I read the other day, I'm a newbie of senior years looking for personally recommended clubs in my area, Tunbridge Wells in East Sussex. There is a club, 'Pure JuJitsu' I've looked at run by a guy called Yogev Sharp anyone have any experience of him or his club would be appreciated.
Greyfolk55 None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Club search

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:56 pm | #2

sorry, never heard of either. the language used on the site, and the style description gives an indication that it is a splinter club from the jitsu foundation.

As a style that is reasonably solid (instructor dependent) but traditionally they can be fairly heavy on the cardio and fitness side, and can be more physically demanding than other styles. That said, these comments refer to the style generally, and individual clubs vary. If this is a splinter then it is likely that there was something about the jitsu foundation way the instructors didn't like so it is probably worth checking them out. They could be completely different. They might be nothing to do with TJF...

The standard of TJF instructors is usually quite high, though, so if they were affiliated to TJF once upon a time they might be worth checking out.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby BrassMan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:56 pm | #3

PureJitsu split from TJF a year or two ago. I believe that it was a seniority/ego thing rather than technical or procedural. If you don't know The Jitsu Foundation, it's a widespread modern ju jitsu style, mainly based on judo and aikido. They shouldn't have diverged too far yet, so lower grades should be able to transfer between the organisations quite easily.
"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."
BrassMan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Coco123 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:20 pm | #4

Hello

Just seen this post and thought that maybe I ought to respond as Pure Jiu Jitsu is my organisation - I am happy to answer any questions anyone has.

And yes you are quite right my roots are TJF.

Hope this helps.
Coco123 None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup