Martial Arts Research Project

Research into Psychological effects of Martial arts training

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Martial Arts Research Project

Postby ResearchProject » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:13 pm | #1

Hi everyone,

I'm a third year BSc Psychology student currently writing my dissertation on the psychological effects of martial arts training. As part of this I am conducting a research project - an online survey, and am looking for martial artists of various styles to complete it.

The aim of this study is to investigate the relationship between martial arts training and a number of psychometric measures – anxiety, aggression, self-esteem, and self-regulation. Previous research has shown links between martial arts training and these measures, but some reports have conflicted regarding modern or combat sports participants and traditional martial artists, and ones where ethical and psychological values are explicitly taught or not. The aim of this research is to further the body of research and differentiate between the psychological profiles associated with different approaches to martial arts training.

The survey takes about 10 minutes to complete, and if you could do so that would be great. The analysis of results will be posted when complete if that's of interest. It can be found at:

https://aruspsych.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/? ... JzvY1jbdw9

Thanks in advance, and let me know if you have any questions!

J. Nicholson
BSc Psychology student, Anglia Ruskin University
ResearchProject None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Martial Arts Research Project

Postby thauma » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 pm | #2

Would be happy to fill in the survey, but not happy to give contact information............

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ResearchProject » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:11 pm | #3

Hi thauma,

In line with British Psychological Society and University ethical approval, all results are anonymous, and securely held.

In addition, the email address needn't be a real one, it's simply an easy way to identify an individual if they later wish to withdraw from the study. You could use anything.

Thanks for your interest, I hope you find the time to complete it!

Jonathan.

Postby ResearchProject » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:36 pm | #4

Hi everyone,

Thanks for everyone who's completed this so far! If any more find the time, or could post this on to students\training partners or schools that would be greatly appreciated, as there have been relatively few entries from traditional ju jitsu.

Postby kunoichi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:47 pm | #5

Are the results of this research now available? It sounds interesting.
kunoichi None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kempo-kid » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:50 pm | #6

Did you post this at ARU, as I was the ISS contract manager looking after both campuses when this was posted

KK :twisted:
kempo-kid None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup