Newbie help

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie help

Postby Lee73 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:32 pm | #1

Hi all, I'm new to this site and jujitsu, I have been intrested in ufc for a while and want to
Learn jujitsu so I have a few questions, there is a club very near me that does goshin jujitsu and I was wondering is this style of jujitsu any good, also would it be good if you got into a fight, would you be able to use it to defend yourself.

Cheers
Lee73 None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Newbie help

Postby uan_ar » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:49 pm | #2

Hi Lee73.

Really I don´t know goshin jujitsu, but I may let you some thoughts:

* what does interest you from UFC? There are Mix Martial Arts in it.

* Be aware that it is not the same Brazilian JiuJitsu style than Japanese JiuJitsu style.

* Any style of JiuJitsu might be good and interesting for start.

* A good rule in martial arts for self defense: do not fight unless you really have to, and then if you use it defende yourself, take an advantage and run.
uan_ar Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:06 am | #3

Whether it is 'any good in a fight' will depend on the way they train, their core techniques, the emphasis they give to self defence and the competence of the instructor. Goshin jitsu is normally quite pressure point heavy and so can be brutally effective or fairly ropey depending on the susceptibility of the person you are doing it on.

The other thing to decide is what you mean by fight - do you mean a guy having a crack in a pub or the cage? If the former then I personally have some concerns about UFC type stuff, but if the former then it is likely to be ropey for cage stuff, perhaps less so for a chap in a pub.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Lee73 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:37 am | #4

Thanks for the replies, I want to do it as a hobby and to keep fit but I was hoping it would also
Help out if i was attacked in a pub/walking down the road etc, I know goshin jujitsu is different from brazilian jujitsu as bjj is mainly grappling on the floor and wouldn't be very good if you was attacked as going to the floor could be dangerous, but i like some of the bjj moves and was wondering does goshin jujitsu teach you Simular ground moves aswell as all
The throwing etc,

Thanks
Lee73 None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:59 pm | #5

Probably not. As martial arts they will both look pretty different.  Goshin normally has more emphasis on strikes and locks than the sort of takedowns and ground game you'll find in bjj. It will be rare that you find a style of jiu jitsu that is good on the ground as bjj. True there are trade offs and other limitations, but for the ground, bjj is the ticket. Possibly Sambo, wrestling or judo in a similar camp.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup