Life in the old dog yet?  What's up folks?

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Life in the old dog yet?  What's up folks?

Postby nry » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:13 pm | #1

In the vague chance that this place still gets traffic, who is up to what, where and when nowadays?

As a starter, I'm now running my own JJ club after gaining my Nidan in Switzerland last year, vague chance of Sandan this June as our Soke told our UK branch head to get me ready for it when he visits from Japan in June after he visited us last year and was impressed with the students I have been teaching.  I am lucky to have an excellent teacher who has a fantastic understanding of Motoha Yoshin Ryu and how it applies to reality (through significant experience).
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Life in the old dog yet?  What's up folks?

Postby thauma » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:00 pm | #2

similar story, started 10years ago, and soon found this site. Been a casual visitor and occasional contributor over the years, Oh and met soon really cool people.

Now running my own club , and have been for a good number of years. Enjoy the teaching, but find the training hard to fit around the commitment to the club - having said that, teaching definitely adds another perspective.

Progress ..... I guess the next big step will be when I'm invited to grade, but who knows when that will be. In the meantime - progress is what I aim for every lesson, session, article, book or video I see.... you can always learn something (even if that is how not to do something  :P )

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:57 am | #3

I agree with the training vs. teaching, it is hard to balance the two!
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:14 am | #4

Running a tiny club now in High Wycombe, formerly in Marlow.

Graded to sandan in Ireland a few years ago - some years yet I think before I am ready to grade again however, and I refuse to until I finally get one of my own students to shidan.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:32 pm | #5

Still a shodan, retired from grading.  A decade or more ago now I think... Passed over the Bedford club, now have started a new one nearer to me in Huntingdon. Still appreciate the poetry of turning up to someone else's grading and smacking them around.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Postby thauma » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:07 pm | #6

.....retired from grading.......

not a very accurate foretelling of the future (now past  :P ) - but a well deserved result

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Mad Dog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:42 pm | #7

Competed at the WCJJO worlds in Geneva in Sept and won 2 silvers and a team bronze. Started planning for the next event on Australia's Gold Coast in Oct 2017. Next year I should achieve my Shichidan which has been a long time coming (well 7 years to be precise).. so thinking of writing a book on JJ.. so some of this knowledge doesnt get lost!
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back.

Fall down 7 times, get up eight.

Goshin Ju Jitsu Ryu & The Combat Academy

http://www.jitsu.org.uk
http://www.jitsukit.co.uk
Mad Dog Male
Kyouken

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup