Modern/German Ju-Jutsu in the UK

modern style of the tradition jiu-jitsu widely practised in Germany

Have a jitsu related question? Get a jitsu related answer here.

Moderator: Moderators

Modern/German Ju-Jutsu in the UK

Postby Wonderwoman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:24 am | #1

Hi guys,

This is my first post here and I'm hoping that you guys can help me. I used to train for over 12 years in German Ju-Jutsu, guess where... in Germany lol. Now I am in the UK I am trying desperately to find a club that teaches the same style or something very similar, where I can continue grading (I am a 2. Kyu just before grading for 1. Kyu) and developing. However, I am getting the impression that over here in England every club has their own syllabus, their own belt system, styles etc. and it would appear that the few clubs in my area all teach some sort of "traditional" Ju-Jitsu, the belt system itself gives that away (there is no purple in German Jujitsu and half belts/bars are just for children) and the fact that there are katas. Also I find often these clubs teach kind of a... "soft/slow/wishywashy" way  execution of techniques, with that I don't mean that we hurt the partner, not at all, but I mean that when you execute a strike, you do it like you mean it, like you would if someone actually attacked you (without touching your partner or course), you do it with power. Sometimes, when I see some people practicing, it's like they're doing it half-arsed and in slow motion and then I already lose faith in the club and the teachers.

What I would like my ideal Ju-Jitsu club to teach would be a modern version focusing on self-defense, with strikes, punches, kicks etc (atemi), throws (although I am not such a big fan of them lol) and chokes, holds and bars. A combination of everything, quite literally, but with a heavy focus on street and self defense and weapon defense. A big element in my club always used to be light sparring and self-defense against one or more attackers with and without weapons with announced and unannounced attacks.

Anyway... am I looking for something that simply doesn't exist over here?

:oops:  :cry:
Wonderwoman None specified

Re: Modern/German Ju-Jutsu in the UK

Postby captaintau » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:44 pm | #2

I don't know of anywhere that meets your description.

Whereabouts in the country are you?
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:44 pm | #3

Traditional is a mis-used word on JJ...the vast majority of JJ in many countries is not traditional for more than a few tens of years and usually bears no resemblence to the original styles from Japan...

The only style I've trained in that sounds similar to what you have done is Hokutou Ryu in Newcastle (HRJJ) but I'm not 100% sure if they still run, their website is down and has been for a while.

I now train in a Koryu style that looks wishy washy in the beginning, but has all the nasty horrible kill people fast and live type stuff in, and I subscribe to the 'if you can't do it slowly then you can't do it fast' mantra.

What I have learnt is to not judge a book by its covers...try a style, question it...any style worth its salt will have true understanding of physics & the human body, blended with awareness of timing and breaking that of the attack...in fact not even waiting for the attack itself, but using that physics and body awareness to gain control without doing anything aggressive.

I've not found any style locally or otherwise that has this except for what I learn now, though I've not tried them all in the UK...so it may exist.

Traditional JJ had only white and black belts...probably originally no belt colours at all...even our style (which has a German club) only uses colours outside of Japan so our Soke and other clubs can judge our students for what to teach them during international events.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:46 am | #4

Hmm. Difficult. You could try an aiuchi or tjjf club. They might offer what you are after, or near to it. They are also related to HRJJ mentioned by Nry above i think. All the styles share the same origins - a german chap called Matt Komp who later moved to Australia and then taught there. One of his students came to the UK and then his students opened clubs, and associations began, and split etc etc.

These styles don't have many katas, and those they do have don't resemble karate katas but are generally learning tools. They are heavy on throws and locks, less on strikes, but also heavy on self defence and defence against various non-traditional weapons - bottles, knives, coshes, bats etc.

You won't be able to just continue with your grade though - jiu jitsu is such a wide art that different styles can be quite a way apart. Some clubs may grade you to your standard in your first grading though, so you'd jump quite a few grades. That depends on the style and the club though.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Jitsu Discussions

Signup