How can we improve PJ?

Official [ planet jitsu ] news & announcements

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Only staff can create new topics in this forum. Everyone can reply to these topics though.

Re: How can we improve PJ?

Postby scruffy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:17 pm | #106

nz_ROB wrote:
PointyShinyBurning wrote:Before you can work out how to improve it, you'll have to decide what it's for.
Hmmmmmm, suggestions?

for debating all thing jui ju ji jimmny jupsy jitsu/  :?
for massaging cullions extensive ego   :o:
for bringing in and debating new and exciting theories and material on martial arts does and don't
for encouraging fellows MAists in their passions
for providing guidance to new students
for being fair and honest about opinions and experiences
for bitch-slapping people you know and love you already
for being god-like and sanctimonious

have I forgotten anything?  :roll:

Spotting grammar/spelling mistakes
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby sweet_landing » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:07 pm | #107

Hello

It's been a while since I visited these forums with any regularity, although I didn't post much anyway.
I shan't be coming back much, if at all, in the future.

I did get a lot from the forums whilst I was visiting, so I thought if I can help out then I should. The only way I can help is by telling you why it is that I've stopped coming back in the hope that you can work out how to change things so that I - and therefore potentially also others - might have stayed, so that others may stay in the future.

It was a few things
- now the overriding opinion on these forums seems to be that sport = bad
(I think competition is not only fun but also quite important, so I don't feel at home here)

- unwillingness to challenge long-standing members
(I remember reading a thread where an accomplished striker had gone to a BJJ seminar wearing his black belt despite knowing he was still white belt level in BJJ and only one or two people here suggested he had been wrong - this was around the same time as a thread over on the JudoInfo forums where an accomplished ex-international judo rokudan was wondering whether to accept a BJJ black belt promotion which two separate BJJ instructors had tried to give him because he was teaching at their clubs, clearly black belt level in BJJ terms, and holding his own with their brown belts half his age and he was still very determinedly wearing his white belt because that was his BJJ rank)

- unwillingness to be challenged
(I mentioned this at the time when there was discussion over whether to ban cullion after he left, but I think it is important to have your opinions challenged, also of course it is vital for the life of a forum that discussions are provoked because otherwise very little gets written or indeed discussed)
(The thing I got a lot out of whilst visiting these forums was having my views challenged - but now it is rare)

- half the forums are locked if you're not logged in
(laziness prevents me logging in unless I have something to say, but if I can't read half the board then I never will have anything to add to those discussions)

- no interesting discussions
(I got bored)

I hope that helped. Bye all.

sweet landing

OK below are two links to the discussion on the JudoInfo forums that I referenced earlier - the first is the direct link, the second is a google cache of it because the forums are now in different hands and they appear to have destroyed it. The original poster (the ex-international judoka) then had the screen name "ptnippon" but is now "Francois".

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6 ... age__st__3

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk
sweet_landing None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 pm | #108

interesting, thanks.

Personally I think the place just needs traffic, and to get traffic it needs to be an information resource, and the best way for that is to become an interactive club directory and info repository.

Rows on forums are ok, but i'm not sure that is the solution. More traffic would also mean that there are fewer folk that know each other and more likely that the established members will be challenged if they say or do something silly.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 am | #109

Fluffy_the_happy_lobster wrote:interesting, thanks.

Personally I think the place just needs traffic, and to get traffic it needs to be an information resource, and the best way for that is to become an interactive club directory and info repository.

Rows on forums are ok, but i'm not sure that is the solution. More traffic would also mean that there are fewer folk that know each other and more likely that the established members will be challenged if they say or do something silly.

+1

A club directory, better still a linkable club map that can be populated in some way would be a great draw.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kempo-kid » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 am | #110

Not been on for a while, it needs smut :lol:
Seriously though the layout isn't as friendly as the old site was

KK :twisted:
kempo-kid None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:14 pm | #111

Any chance of avoiding this when I look at PJ on my phone...

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Previous

Return to Site News

Signup