Anatomy of a frontpage post

Official [ planet jitsu ] news & announcements

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Only staff can create new topics in this forum. Everyone can reply to these topics though.

Anatomy of a frontpage post

Postby Jitsufreak » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:23 am | #1

Here's an annotated picture of the current setup of posts/topics that appear on the homepage
frontpage.gif

notes;
"topic" refers to the 1st post of a thread. so, "topic title" is the title used for the first post, it's the title you see in the forum view etc. You can change the title when you make a reply, but this is ignored on the homepage.
the community voting buttons and the votes shown refer to the 1st post.

I'm not sure if this is the best setup, and I'd welcome your thoughts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This topic was moved from Showcase by Jitsufreak on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:24 am.
Jitsufreak Male
Founder

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Anatomy of a frontpage post

Postby Genghis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 am | #2

My main comment would be that we should show more recent posts on the front page - 10 at-least.  If that means moving the journals off the front page  to make space, that wouldn't worry me.

I think that the title is the most important thing, possibly with a few lines of the first post to give a flavour, but that's not IMHO essential.

The point of-course is to get people to read and post, so anything on the homepage should basically be a taster.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 am | #3

Do we perhaps also need something there saying what PJ is?  At the moment, you visit and the homepage is just links to active threads with some links - active threads is a good one, but even a little snippet 'About Us' may help the newcomer understand why the site exists.  At the moment, this is tucked away right at the bottom corner of the front page.

How about some other bumf, linked to from the above info, describing more about what JuJutsu/Jitsu is?  No reason why any style on here could not submit a link or a short paragraph to fill things out for further reading.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jitsufreak » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 am | #4

Genghis wrote:My main comment would be that we should show more recent posts on the front page - 10 at-least.  If that means moving the journals off the front page  to make space, that wouldn't worry me.

You should be seeing 10 community posts (the blue boxes, as shown in the pic above) on the homepage. I've switched recent posts and announcements around, so the block of 5 next to the recent journals is now announcements.
Jitsufreak Male
Founder

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jitsufreak » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:01 am | #5

nry wrote:Do we perhaps also need something there saying what PJ is?

Sounds like a good idea. Does anybody who's good with words want to pen something that I can use?
Jitsufreak Male
Founder

Postby Genghis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 pm | #6

Jitsufreak wrote:
Genghis wrote:My main comment would be that we should show more recent posts on the front page - 10 at-least.  If that means moving the journals off the front page  to make space, that wouldn't worry me.

You should be seeing 10 community posts (the blue boxes, as shown in the pic above) on the homepage. I've switched recent posts and announcements around, so the block of 5 next to the recent journals is now announcements.

Looking again, I can see that - but I tend to read PJ on a widescreen small laptop, so at the moment my initial view is the two "latest 5" blocks, and then half of the first post in the blue block.

My instinct is that the first couple of lines of those posts is enough, an any first view will then show much more range.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:37 pm | #7

Further thought - any chance of getting it to NOT try and persuade me to download the Android App every time I change page whilst reading the new PJ site on my phone?

G

Genghis None specified

Postby Jitsufreak » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:51 pm | #8

Genghis wrote:Further thought - any chance of getting it to NOT try and persuade me to download the Android App every time I change page whilst reading the new PJ site on my phone?

some discussion about this here

I thought I'd already removed the script that creates the popup. I'm not seeing it any more at least
Jitsufreak Male
Founder

Return to Site News

Signup