The "reaping"motion of Harai Goshi

Discussion on anything to do with training, techniques, etiquette, philosophy etc..

Moderator: Moderators

The "reaping"motion of Harai Goshi

Postby captaintau » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:47 am | #1

I am currently in the process of rewriting our syllabus. The overriding thought process is how everything links to everything else. I don't want any aspect of the syllabus isolated from everything else. Everything should relate.

Now, Harai Goshi. Usually done with a pendular motion, right? In the past I've taught the "reaping" leg to have more of a back kick motion. I know another SCI chap that does this although I don't know if it's intentional  or not or if he he was taught it or self-developed it. Any thoughts?
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: The "reaping"motion of Harai Goshi

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:10 pm | #2

It's a sweep not a reap, although not sure exactly what difference that makes.

I've teach both the pendulum and the kick back. Depends on where you are as opposed to your uke and how much balance you have.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thauma » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:35 pm | #3

I have been taught both variations, and I have to say that I prefer the kick back (I usually describe it as a donkey-kick).

In my judo days, it was always taught (to me at least) as a pendulum motion, but personally I find the kick-back very effective, and found it worked well / better in competition (feels faster and is more powerful - and that's saying something when you consider the momentum of my long legs swinging like a pendulum).

And most importantly for me, and one of my biggest hates, is when people demonstrate ashi guruma, harai goshi and o guruma, and they all look the same……. so the big kick is a great differentiator

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kunoichi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 pm | #4

thauma wrote:[...] personally I find the kick-back very effective, and found it worked well / better in competition [...]

Were these judo competitions where the back-kick version worked for you? If not, what sort of comp was it? If so, what level of competition are we talking?

I can't say I've ever seen the back-kick version in judo. It's always struck me as a misinterpretation of the principles of the throw. (Surely, it is hard to pull uke forward whilst you enter and back-kick? I.e. I'd expect the motion of a back-kick to puch uke backwards rather than pull him forwards.) But, I'd loved to be proved wrong.

Also, I'm not sure the throw can be described as "perpendicular". The instructors I've met who use harai seem to draw uke at about a 50 - 75 degree angle rather than 90. (If you were to draw a straight line intersecting uke's feet.)

Disclaimer: Harai-goshi isn't really my throw.

kunoichi None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby OneDragons » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:46 pm | #5

I would use the kick back version whilst drawing uki forward towards me, not pushing them back.
I have seen this throw in my local Judo club and the way they did it there was more similar to what TJF call advanced O soto gari, driving them back and sideways.
The many within One!

Greek Proverb "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
OneDragons None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thauma » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm | #6

the mechanics of the throw and its direction were the same in all instances, except for the leg motion. Uke being drawn forwards as with the majority of hip throws, the difference being that the leg kicks back rather than sweeps back

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby soulkeeper1234 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:23 am | #7

Uke being drawn forwards as with the majority of hip throws,
เล่นคาสิโนผ่านเว็บ
soulkeeper1234 None specified

Years of membershipYears of membership

Return to Technical Jiu Jitsu

Signup