TJF Syllabus

Discussion on anything to do with training, techniques, etiquette, philosophy etc..

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Cyclone » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:58 pm | #46

Splinter wrote:
bomberh wrote:Er not exactly. You don't communicate openly and consistently the standard required because you don't publish the syllabus. Therefore TJF cannot be sure grading officers are all working to exactly the same criteria

TJF examiners and teachers all have access to syllabus.  and the examiners dont sit in isolation they actually talk discuss and agree tings they set the standards and they are (subject to individual interpretation) pretty consistent.

As for Cyc and bomberh's comments , I wasnt actually moaning about over confident students.  I say they cant grade then they cant grade end of story.  Its more the frustration of working hard and helping students only to have them not turn up to a grading I enter them for because THEY decide that they are not ready / dont know the syllabus.
I could have ignored tem and helped others in the club instead of wasting my time getting these people ready.  
NB they were ready and did know what they needed, and I feel having thier underground copy of the website syllabus contributed to thier decision.

I would suggest that lack of the syllabus is more likely to make someone not grade, as they have no way to check their own knowledge against what they will be asked for.
People are scared of the unknown, and a published syllabus reduces that fear a little.
Didn't make sense?  Go back and read it again
[hr]
Facebook - PJ Group
Flickr - My Photos
Cyclone None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Cyclone » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:11 pm | #47

bomberh wrote:If the TJF grading syllabus is tested effectively and fairly by examiners then a student taking a grade before they are good enough will fail.

If this is the case then as an instructor why worry about over confident students taking gradings before their time. They will fail and learn a valuable lesson.

Or are TJF grading officer reluctant to fail students (I hear they're quite strict to their credit)? In which case holding them back is a coaches safer option. Also if competitions are grade split then slowing down progress makes for effective sand bagging / ringing.

Never actually a problem as to grade you have to be entered by your instructor.
The opposite is more often a problem, people I want to grade who will not.  I don't believe them having the syllabus contributes towards this.
Didn't make sense?  Go back and read it again
[hr]
Facebook - PJ Group
Flickr - My Photos
Cyclone None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Big_Red_Tractor » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:23 pm | #48

Cyclone wrote:I would suggest that lack of the syllabus is more likely to make someone not grade, as they have no way to check their own knowledge against what they will be asked for.
People are scared of the unknown, and a published syllabus reduces that fear a little.

I have to agree Cyc, I've got Johno coming all the way over to New Zealand in May and obviously TJF Australasia will be under quite a bit of scrutiny. Having not done a grading with Johno in about 10 years and the fact that I still struggle with the new syllabus. I've given all of my student the syllabus so they can remind me what they have or have not covered, plus it dispells some of the fear of someone as Senior as Johno coming over as they have at least the knowledge of what they will be graded against and they feel more prepaired to grade for that time frame.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Big_Red_Tractor None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ukronin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 pm | #49

Big_Red_Tractor wrote:It dispells some of the fear of someone as Senior as Johno coming over as they have at least the knowledge of what they will be graded against and they feel more prepaired to grade for that time frame.

And if thats what it takes to let you sleep at night, while a certain part of your anatomy is going 50p - 2p, go ahead.  :P

'Fear of death, is worse than death itself'

I sat in a grading with him before Xmas, he's a very nice man :D
Don't let your life pass you by, STOP, enjoy life, love and friendship.

Proud member of the British Kempo Society.

Club Instructor Northampton Jitsu Club, England
www.northamptonjitsuclub.co.uk
ukronin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Big_Red_Tractor » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:36 pm | #50

Dude, I have every expectation of having the snot smashed out of me for my students enjoyment, and for that privelage we do expect to celebrate our 5 year anniversary by taking him out, getting him absolutely bladdered and maybe tied up by strippers - shhhhhhh! The photo's will be a riot!  :o:
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ukronin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:47 pm | #51

Ahh yes that old tradition of the bludgeoning of the instructor. All you have to do is make sure there is someone else there instead. You know the type, looks like they would bounce well.

Don't get him too drunk. A cautionary tale. RobW will back me up on this

:D I used to have a house rule, if I opened a bottle of whisky, no one was allowed to go to sleep til it was drunk.

Well the bottle was opened and drank. Many tales of valor were exchanged.

I got up the next morning and went to work. No problems.

Unfortunately the house guest was not so well and for years afterwards complained I'd poisoned him. :lol:

Sorry :ot:
Don't let your life pass you by, STOP, enjoy life, love and friendship.

Proud member of the British Kempo Society.

Club Instructor Northampton Jitsu Club, England
www.northamptonjitsuclub.co.uk
ukronin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Big_Red_Tractor » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 pm | #52

ukronin wrote:Ahh yes that old tradition of the bludgeoning of the instructor. All you have to do is make sure there is someone else there instead. You know the type, looks like they would bounce well.

Damn, have been referred to in the past as "the kind of guy you could push off a building and the mofo would still get up" (- thanks Steve D!), and if Jules Robson, Lorne Roberts and Andy Bickerton are there you can guarantee that I'll be the one pushed forward. Still that means I have the joy of at least trying to bruise my knuckles on his face - ha ha ha!

As far as the drinking is concerned, speak to Steve about the last time he came over, and Wellington being a 24 hour party capital means you don't have to stop drinking! Damn him and his lack of hang-overs and Japanese Whisky!

p.s anyone who comes to wellington be aware of the pie-wrapper fairy who pops them in your pocket for you to find when you wake up late for your students grading!

Postby Blackbelt007 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:05 am | #53

If anyone deserves a bit of smacking from a senior grade then it is most definitely you! (I haven't forgotten the peter principle crack!) Get over this side of the world soon as i have some rather funky Aiki stuff to show you!
Blackbelt007 Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Paul KiAi » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:11 am | #54

Cyclone wrote:I would suggest that lack of the syllabus is more likely to make someone not grade, as they have no way to check their own knowledge against what they will be asked for.

Agreed.  A transparent marking system also helps counter mentality, when you can demonstrate to the student that they are good enough (or not) to pass.

Personally I do not see the point of hiding the syllabus, other than to create an air of mysticism around it.  The benifits to the student for having and holding their own copy are too great (for a simple example - an Estonian student makes notes on his syllabus to remind him what it all means) compared to any arguments I've heard against it.

Don't think they are good enough for the grading - work with them to show that they are, this may be more benifitial with a syllabus.
Think they are good enough (but arn't) - prove that they are not.

Paul
I remember once, I played an original game and was scared shitless by all the new things happening around me. Unbound creativity harried my every step, and the free reign given to the developers nearly crushed my gamer soul.

The sequel was much better.
Paul KiAi None specified

Re: TJF Syllabus

Postby Sir-Nails » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:41 pm | #55

{website deleted} :cuss:

*Edited by OD - It is usual polite to introduce ones self before posting personal websites.

Please feel free to partake in the discussion, you obviously have an opinion on this thread but your original post did not actually say anything.
Shorinji Kan Jiu-Jitsu -http://www.Sir-Nails.co.uk/jitsu
Sir-Nails None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re:

Postby Splinter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:10 pm | #56

Paul KiAi wrote:

Agreed.  A transparent marking system also helps counter mentality, when you can demonstrate to the student that they are good enough (or not) to pass.

Personally I do not see the point of hiding the syllabus, other than to create an air of mysticism around it.  The benifits to the student for having and holding their own copy are too great (for a simple example - an Estonian student makes notes on his syllabus to remind him what it all means) compared to any arguments I've heard against it.

Don't think they are good enough for the grading - work with them to show that they are, this may be more benifitial with a syllabus.
Think they are good enough (but arn't) - prove that they are not.

Paul

and leads to complaints when they get asked for something thats not on "thier" syllabus, TJF syllabus is a core guide not a definitive guide, I think that difference is what upsets certain people who need a programme.  Trust your instructor to teach you - otherwise you may just as well buy a DVD.

scared you may not get shown something  thats easy - dont miss any of my sessions !
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Previous

Return to Technical Jiu Jitsu

Signup