Syllabus

Discussion on anything to do with training, techniques, etiquette, philosophy etc..

Moderator: Moderators

Postby nao » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:31 am | #16

nao wrote:If I were audacious enough to suggest the Japanese for a Spinning Kick, I would suggest Ushiro Mawashi Geri.
Or Tobi Mawashi Geri (flying spinning/turning/rotating kick)

.................. :? man, now I'm really confused!

Or marry GK's observation with the Waza and call it Geri Keri - I for one would loose control of bowel function if I were struck in the face by a spinning kick.

Geri Keri (tm)
Reaches places other Keri cannot.
nao None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Gunyo Kogusoku » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:38 am | #17

nao wrote:
nao wrote:If I were audacious enough to suggest the Japanese for a Spinning Kick, I would suggest Ushiro Mawashi Geri.
Or Tobi Mawashi Geri (flying spinning/turning/rotating kick)

.................. :? man, now I'm really confused!

Or marry GK's observation with the Waza and call it Geri Keri - I for one would loose control of bowel function if I were struck in the face by a spinning kick.

Geri Keri (tm)
Reaches places other Keri cannot.

Geri Keri - The $h!t kicker.  LOL!
Regards,

Steve D

兵方ハ平法也 - The methods of war become the methods of peace.

[url]http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/[/url]
Gunyo Kogusoku None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:59 am | #18

ushiro maewashi geri rings a bell. I think that might be what it was called when I went to karate...

Maybe. There was definate use of the name though.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Blackbelt007 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:47 pm | #19

ushiro maewashi geri is the name I use for a hook kick or reverse roundhouse it's also what I believe Karate for use for that kick?
Keep passing the open windows!
Blackbelt007 Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Gunyo Kogusoku » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:54 pm | #20

nao wrote:If I were audacious enough to suggest the Japanese for a Spinning Kick, I would suggest Ushiro Mawashi Geri

Ushiro mawashi geri, depending on the school of karate, uses either the heel or the ball of the foot. The English counter part is the "Hook Kick" or the reverse round kick.

Since Yoko-geri employs the "sokuto" (Blade of the foot), and a spinning version of that isn't ushiro mawashi-geri. It can be ushiro-geri or kaiten yoko geri.

BTW, Tobi Mawashi geri is a jumping round kick.
Regards,

Steve D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nao » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:46 pm | #21

Gunyo Kogusoku wrote:
nao wrote:If I were audacious enough to suggest the Japanese for a Spinning Kick, I would suggest Ushiro Mawashi Geri

Ushiro mawashi geri, depending on the school of karate, uses either the heel or the ball of the foot. The English counter part is the "Hook Kick" or the reverse round kick.

Since Yoko-geri employs the "sokuto" (Blade of the foot), and a spinning version of that isn't ushiro mawashi-geri. It can be ushiro-geri or kaiten yoko geri.

BTW, Tobi Mawashi geri is a jumping round kick.
Kaiten Yoko Geri it must be!

I should study Karate ... I need more atemi in my life.

I just realised - Geri Arashi! Instead of reaping, you drive your ankle into UKE's shin; instantly geri inducing.

The possibilities are endless!

Geri Waza
Geri Keri
Geri Arashi

My boss caught me giggling. I should get back to work.  :?
nao None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Goober » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:22 pm | #22

Geri Waza

Is that basically a japanese name for the poo-hands defence?

if that needs explaining you a) haven't been on [pj] long enough and b) have no imagination.
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nao » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:43 am | #23

Well, of course I know all about the poo-hands defense!

But, prey, for the sake of those baffled but hesitant to ask - what is the poo-hands defense ...

(for their benefit)

(as
their
benefactor)

:|
nao None specified

Postby KroSha » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 am | #24

Use your imagination.
"Fool, haven't you realised yet? There is nothing that can't be beaten in, or out of you." - UKR
"A warrior's greatest weapons are mental and physical agility, coupled with adaptibility."
It comes in pints?!?
KroSha Male
Hobbit Hardcase

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Gunyo Kogusoku » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm | #25

A pair of marygolds, a bottlebrush and dettol!
Regards,

Steve D

Postby Splinter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:09 pm | #26

back to the question 1- he doesnt say its jiu jitsu he says jutsu which is just technique

as for about Kris Tanaka lets look at he own description of him self

About the Founder

The founder of the Art teaches black belts on a weekly basis and regularly attends workshops. The Centre Parcs yearly training weekends he presides over, are legendary. He has trained with many of the top Martial Artists in Hampshire, trained with Essex Police instructors in the use of the ASP baton, ballistic clipboard, quick cuffs and other defensive weaponry and tactics in conjunction with an SAS instructor.

He is proficient in the 15 weapons as specified within the Black belt syllabus; there is very little that he cannot use as a defensive weapon. He has been know to disarm an attacker with a tissue!
Sensei Spooky
Splinter None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 am | #27

Dipped in what?

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby wayne » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:19 pm | #28

Splinter wrote:He has been know to disarm an attacker with a tissue!

I wonder if that's like the jangly keys defense?  "Look at the pretty tissue.  See how it floats and is oh so distracting..." SMACK!
wayne Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Kris Tanka

Postby wuxingquan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 am | #29

I trained with Kris Tanaka from 1985 to 1996. His version of GJ changed over the years and things were added and taken away. This is a modern system, which was suitable for me then. However I found that personally I needed something more structured and traditional. It is not how much you know but how much you can use. Now I live, work and train in Beijing China, I am a student of xing yi quan, qi gong and taiji quan.
wuxingquan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Syllabus

Postby TanakaSensei » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:51 pm | #30

Don't disrespect it until you try it.

Then if you find it does not suit you, go away and try something else.

If you would like dates, venues and a list of Instructors who taught me please reply to this and maybe we could meet up and exchange our knowledge over a bowl of green tea?
TanakaSensei None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Previous

Return to Technical Jiu Jitsu

Signup