Hand Wraps

Discussion on anything to do with training, techniques, etiquette, philosophy etc..

Moderator: Moderators

Hand Wraps

Postby bombchucka » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:46 am | #1

Does anybody use them when training?  Do you find them beneficial or detrimental in any way?  Do they provide noticeable protection to the wrist when doing wrist locks?  Is there an official TJF edict allowing/banning them?
bombchucka None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KroSha » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 am | #2

I know several people who have / do use them. They aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Why are you using them? Is it to treat an existing injury? My personal comment on that would be "Stop training!" until it's healed.

I've known people to use them as visual flags for an old injury or weakened joint, and they are useful for that.

If you want to wear them as a preventative, I'd consider that a bad idea. They will hinder a lock, and therefore will provide a level of false security. A large part of the personal safety thing is knowing your own capabilities. You're better off learning when your wrists will stop moving.

Habitually using them may also prevent strengthening of the joint, as the wrap will take the force, rather than it conditioning the muscles.
"Fool, haven't you realised yet? There is nothing that can't be beaten in, or out of you." - UKR
"A warrior's greatest weapons are mental and physical agility, coupled with adaptibility."
It comes in pints?!?
KroSha Male
Hobbit Hardcase

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:13 pm | #3

You are unlikely to be strengthening thejoint in  jiujitsu class, unless you are actually performing an exercise to do so.

I thought about this on breaking my hand. I decided that using a proper glove might be a better solution, but would perhaps cause trouble for people doing locks.

I second Kro's question regarding the point - but not the 'stop training until it's healed'. An admirable goal, but not everything gets fixed perfect.

I have a warning regarding handwraps - from my own experimentation.  Yes, wrap your hand properly and the bandage will provide excellent resistance in the hand and wrist to locks, by preventing movement. (It will also support your hand if you hit something hard, like everyone is always told to.)  However, you need to be careful.  The wrap will immobilise your wrist more in some places than others - especially at the end of the forearm - and this means that if kotegaeshi goes on, there is much more movement in one part of the joint, relative to the rest of it.  

Clearly, there is potential for injury. It is really not much of a problem, or it would not be except that you may during the course on a jiujitsu session be placed in that lock often and in a restrictive fashion.

Also, tape up the end of the velcro fastening to prevent frequent scrapes and wash them.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby bombchucka » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:08 pm | #4

ToffeeApple wrote:The wrap will immobilise your wrist more in some places than others - especially at the end of the forearm - and this means that if kotegaeshi goes on, there is much more movement in one part of the joint, relative to the rest of it.
I never thought of that...
KroSha wrote:
I haven't trained jitsu for about a year now (odd session notwithstanding,) but when I was I was suffering, and still do, from wrist problems, which was one of the things that made me stop.

I used to wear one of those neopropene supports when I was training, more as a reminder to training partners than for actual support (negligible,) and I also wear wraps in boxing and they do a lot more to stabilize the wrist.

I was wondering partly in 'preventative' terms, similar to using a gumshield, but as there are reasons not to then fair enough.

I also wondered whether they might help people to do better padwork, as when I left striking seemed to be something that was being pushed within TJF.
Now read the following colours out loud:
Green, Red, Blue
bombchucka None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm | #5

As long as you are careful about how that one technique is applied to your wrapped hand(s), I do not see any major issues. I would expect less trouble for you if you actually do hit people often, but perhaps more grazing to 'tori' if they are glancing blows, as opposed to clean strikes. (Bare hands tend to slice right through skin in this case anyway.)

If you're going to do padwork in a jiujitsu class on a regular basis, I'd reccommend proper hand protection, like bag gloves, not just wraps. (Unless you use those horrid foam-like boxercise mitts.)
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kazuya » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 pm | #6

I had to get wraps after I damaged both my wrist. I've used them for close to a year now and they have saved me countless times from damaging them even further. I now train without them as my wrists have got better but I still use them on occasion, when they play up again.
"A great master, a great teacher, is always gentle and humble. At the same time, he is like a razor sharp sword." - Kensho Furuya

http://www.leicesterjitsu.btck.co.uk
kazuya Male
Minister of War

Postby GingerNinja » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:11 pm | #7

kazuya wrote:I had to get wraps after I damaged both my wrist. I've used them for close to a year now and they have saved me countless times from damaging them even further. I now train without them as my wrists have got better but I still use them on occasion, when they play up again.

What were the shin guards for?

On an unrelated note - your fights in the open were praised highly, and wondered - have you done judo or not?
GingerNinja

Return to Technical Jiu Jitsu

Signup