Integrity of kata

Discussion on anything to do with training, techniques, etiquette, philosophy etc..

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Integrity of kata

Postby rne02 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 pm | #16

captaintau wrote:
rne02 wrote:
ToffeeApple wrote:I'm gonna pull you on that, seeing as kata is precisely how some styles have survived, knowing the kata is of incredible value if you want to keep the thing 'alive', as it were.

If everyone had one interpretation of the bunkai of every kata ovment, then I woudl agree.  But seeing as every man and his dog has a seems to have a different interpetation of the bunkai of just about every (karate) kata movement, how on earth do we know which one was the original?

But that's part of the whole point. There isn't "one" bunkai. One movement serves multiple purposes.

"Towards the latter half of his life, Master Funakoshi became extremely dissatisfied with the direction in which the system he had originally created had been developed. All elements of true karate style pressure point striking were slowly removed and emphasis on fighting and training with kata devolved to little more than endurance training, with little understanding of kata's meaning".

If kata cannot even be used to preserve a style within the lifetime of it's founder, how can it possibly be used to preserve a style hundreds of years later?
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Integrity of kata

Postby giles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:03 pm | #17

You've missed another use of kata: to tease and frustrate modern practicioners, wondering just what the old guys thought when they did such and such.

Hakko Ryu waza (our take on kata, but two person and somewhat shorter) is mostly reasonably self explanatory.  You may or may not like the techniques, but you can see what's being attempted.  There's one particular technique that, through a sequence of Chinese (Japanese?) whispers no longer seems to make any sense at all.  But I don't believe the original guys were idiots or frauds so I keep playing with that one, trying to work out what's going on.  Sounds good, but I'm still failing; fun though.
Giles Chamberlin
www.jujutsu.org.uk
giles None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Previous

Return to Technical Jiu Jitsu

Signup