Knife defence training MMA style

Discussion on anything to do with training, techniques, etiquette, philosophy etc..

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Knife defence training MMA style

Postby bombchucka » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:11 pm | #61

Now read the following colours out loud:
Green, Red, Blue
bombchucka None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Uchidachi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:50 pm | #62

just wondered what point you are making with this clip?
Uchidachi Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby bombchucka » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:31 pm | #63

It's a video from the tv show Deadliest Warrior of a trained attacker (US Navy Seal) attacking a ballistic gelatine dummy (approximately analogous to human flesh) with a 4" folding knife.

Point being for illustrative purposes, ie. showing the possible form, speed and effects of a sewing machine style knife attack, which previous posters have made reference to.
Now read the following colours out loud:
Green, Red, Blue
bombchucka None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Goober » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:46 pm | #64

Uchidachi wrote:
rne02 wrote:
Uchidachi wrote:here's a nice one I've just found from the Balintawak system (not my system but very nice) better still see if there are any FMA classes in your area :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HqzUFpx ... re=related

hope that helps

That's pretty impressive, and quite cool. But it's also clearly very choreographed and not exactly full paced "sewing machining"

I'd be quite suprised if anyone could actually pull off any of that (and not get badly cut) against someone a bit more aggressive and unpredictable.
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:50 am | #65

A good example of controlled aggression but quite a fruitless exercise really .. might as well fire up a chain saw and ask the attacker to stand still while you carve them up  :lol:
nz_ROB

Postby Uchidachi » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:08 am | #66

Goober wrote:That's pretty impressive, and quite cool. But it's also clearly very choreographed and not exactly full paced "sewing machining"

I'd be quite suprised if anyone could actually pull off any of that (and not get badly cut) against someone a bit more aggressive and unpredictable.

Well of course the idea is to give you some skills to build on by practising these drills. I would suggest you have more chance of surviving a knife attack having extensively trained this type of stuff than not?.

In the sewing machine clip did you notice the gel dummy did not try to gain distance, zone, counter or in anyway try to survive the assault? :)
Uchidachi Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:09 am | #67

If you have the time to react to gain distance or counter, that is.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:38 pm | #68

Hirsty wrote:If you have the time to react to gain distance or counter, that is.

Isn't that why "awareness" is important? I fully appreciate that a night on the turps means ones "awareness" might be a bit shakey BUT surely more than half of self-defence/self-protection is not letting a Navy Seal with a look of killing intent come in close with a sharp implement?  :wink:
nz_ROB

Postby Hirsty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:13 pm | #69

True, but I don't think that a person who knows what they are doing would show you that they had a knife in hand.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:51 am | #70

Also very true   :-)  But then you shouldn't be looking for the knife ;-)

Mate, you know as well as I do that just because you can't see it doesn't mean there is a danger present. As martial artists we need to think "smarter" .. not just relying on our physical prowess but also our super-human ninja skills ;-)
nz_ROB

Postby Genghis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:36 am | #71

I have taught for quite a few years to treat anybody whose palms you can't see, as potentially hostile and carrying a bladed weapon.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kunoichi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 pm | #72

Is that level of vigilance / alertness / paranoia really sustainable though? Part of me is tempted to send felt-tip pen wielding lunatics to all your dojos to see how you get on. ;-)

As for me, I don't think I'd have stopped day dreaming until the 2nd or 3rd strike / stroke.
kunoichi None specified

Postby Genghis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:41 pm | #73

Well, I teach it in the context of "if somebody is acting aggressively or demandingly towards you, look for this".

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby kunoichi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:29 pm | #74

Genghis wrote:Well, I teach it in the context of "if somebody is acting aggressively or demandingly towards you, look for this".

Fairy muff, as they say.
kunoichi None specified

Postby captaintau » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 pm | #75

kunoichi wrote:Part of me is tempted to send felt-tip pen wielding lunatics to all your dojos

Thanks for the offer, but I have plenty of junior students already  :P
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Jiu Jitsu

Signup