Throws - Hand Placement.

Discussion on anything to do with training, techniques, etiquette, philosophy etc..

Moderator: Moderators

Throws - Hand Placement.

Postby rne02 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:10 pm | #1

My good lady bought me this for Xmas
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Japans-Ultimate-Martial-Art-ebook/dp/B006TKIAZC/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333108020&sr=8-2-spell
a very good read I would recommend it.  

Whilst reading it I noticed a small details which has improved a couple of my throws immensely.  When I was initially taught Major Hip and Sweeping, I was taught to put my right arm around Uke's waist.  This meant I  only had my left arm to use to draw them.  I have always found this a little difficult.

However, in this book the right hand is placed up the back, with hand finishing between shoulder blades.  I found last night after a couple of trials that with my hand here I could push Uke with my right hand, as I pull with the left, and it was much easier to draw them forward onto their toes ready for the throw.  You can grab onto the GI, or just push on the back.

Not sure if other people are already doing it this way anyway?
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Throws - Hand Placement.

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:50 pm | #2

yep. hip throws only work properly if you have one arm driving, one arm pulling, and the hip as a pivot. You can also swap your hands and push the head. But that is a bit mean.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby OneDragons » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:55 pm | #3

Yup. Only hip throw I place hand on waist is uki goshi because its the hip I want to move.
The many within One!

Greek Proverb "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
OneDragons None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:01 am | #4

One could always draw with the left hand, pivot with the hip and right hand, and use the right leg as the pushing component, couldn't one? ;-)
nz_ROB

Postby Nazareth » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:47 am | #5

Yep - but add to that a driving right hand and it's a corker! :D
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:44 pm | #6

unless uke steps around and counters in which case my "driving" momentum works beautifully in his/her favour  ;-)
nz_ROB

Postby nry » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:04 pm | #7

I've been taught both ways...generally I think the arm between shoulder blades or straight up and driving around with the throw is my preference.
nry Male

Return to Technical Jiu Jitsu

Signup