Proposed seminar/budo gathering May 2011

Sijoe Stephan Meeng (8th dan Shaolin Chu'an-Fa Kempo Belgium)

Announcements and reviews of the latest courses within the world of Jiu Jitsu.

Moderator: Moderators

Proposed seminar/budo gathering May 2011

Postby Bushinwarrior » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:26 pm | #1

PROPOSED SEMINAR / BUDO GATHERING

Sijoe Stephan Meeng (8th dan Shaolin Chu'an-Fa Kempo Belgium)

Hi to all PJ members
I am thinking of organising a Saturday seminar in late May 2011 with a good old friend of mine (and fantastic instructor) Stephan Meeng at my Honbu near Dartford, Kent. The seminar will be a one day event and will run from 09.30 until 15.00hrs with short breaks. The places will be limited to 25/30  participants  and is open to all martial artists irrelevant of grade and style. If any PJ members are interested please let me know and I will finalise a date and post details as and when  :lol:

A link to Sijoe Meeng’s site has been added below

http://www.chuanfa-belgium.be/b-one-default.html
“Rank should not incur favour, with rank comes responsibility”
http://www.bushinkenpokai.co.uk
Bushinwarrior Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Proposed seminar/budo gathering May 2011

Postby ToffeeApple » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:06 pm | #2

Some people here would say that 'may next year' would be far too far in the future to comprehend, others would jump at the chance to pencil in details to their diary.  As for me, kent is probably reachable, but I'm not really sure I'm intereste3d - what exactly do belgian chinese kempoka do?
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Bushinwarrior » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 pm | #3

It is not that Stephan Meeng lives in Belgium, this just happens to be the country where his Chinese parents chose to bring him up. Shephan has been studying Shaolin Chu’an Fa since he was a little boy and is an excellent instructor. I have known Stephan for over 20 years and met him on the European seminar circuit many times and have always really enjoyed watching or joining in on his sets. Stephan also puts on amazing demos with both adults and children involved. The link above would give you an insight into his style plus there are several videos showing a few of his demo team in action.
Bushinwarrior Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:34 pm | #4

So has he moved to Holland then?

As for the stuff they've got on video, it's more up my coach's street than mine tbh - he was into kung fu and wushu in a big way about ten years ago.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Bushinwarrior » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:34 am | #5

I see where you are coming from , although most of the videos on his site are of demos not his teaching. When Shephan teaches on seminars he teaches movements and techniques to suit the styles of the participants rather than stick to his predominant style, for example parry’s rather than blocks. I had him at my dojo to teach a seminar for me back in 2000 and the participants on that seminar were predominantly from Kempo, Jujitsu, Kick Boxing, & Hapkido and they all really enjoyed his instruction and commented that many of the movements and techniques demonstrated where extremely practical and a great addition to their existing knowledge.

That said, I do like to bring highly experienced guest instructor from a range of styles to my dojo as I encourage my students to be open minded and it is good for my students to train in other styles and get an insight into the way styles use different movements to achieve the same results. All knowledge is good and this gentlemen has diligently studied martial arts since he was 6 years old (47 years), and it shows in his teaching of fluid movement and rapped strikes and kicks.
Bushinwarrior Male

Return to Courses & Events

Signup