Royce Gracie Seminar 30th May Andover Hants

Announcements and reviews of the latest courses within the world of Jiu Jitsu.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Royce Gracie Seminar 30th May Andover Hants

Postby Mad Dog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:43 pm | #16

Genghis, I like your thinking  :)
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back.

Fall down 7 times, get up eight.

Goshin Ju Jitsu Ryu & The Combat Academy

http://www.jitsu.org.uk
http://www.jitsukit.co.uk
Mad Dog Male
Kyouken

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:10 pm | #17

I'm up for that.

BTW, 2 x deposits paid  :D
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Mr.Tibbs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:15 pm | #18

Spoiler: show
Nazareth wrote:
Mr.Tibbs wrote:Roll up! Roll up! Come and see the Gracie Money Making Machine!
 :o:

Aw poor diddums... can't baby charge the same for his seminars? I wonder why :baby:

Who`s baby?
Damn there goes my Karma !
Mr.Tibbs None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Nazareth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:24 pm | #19

Judging from your infantile comment... you :o:
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Mr.Tibbs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:33 pm | #20

Nazareth wrote:Judging from your infantile comment... you :o:
So you don`t think that charging £60 x however many students can be squeezed  into a reasonable large hall is about making lots of cash? Then am I right in assuming that teaching and grading people martial arts via the internet is also not about making vast sums of cash?  :? And by the way I don`t do seminars.Damn there goes my Karma! :roll:
Last edited by Mr.Tibbs on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Tibbs None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 pm | #21

Mr.Tibbs wrote:So you don`t think that charging £60 x however many students can be squeezed  into a reasonable large hall is about making lots of cash?

Yes it is. And I can't say I blame him.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Nazareth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:37 pm | #22

Mr.Tibbs wrote:
Nazareth wrote:Judging from your infantile comment... you :o:
So you don`t think that charging £60 x however many students can be squeezed  into a reasonable large hall is about making lots of cash?

Market forces, Mr Tibbs... Nobody's forced to attend! :D

I wonder what you make of concert tickets...
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 pm | #23

Wanderlei Silva was set to visit our gym a little while back, which lots of people were keen on, but it was cancelled as far fewer people were prepared to fork out £90.  That's two whole months training.

I think it was supposed to last a little longer than  1.5 hours though.  

I'm not going to hate a celebrity for making money off teaching appearances, (though 1.5 hours, doubt he can spend much time with anyone) but as I am not a great fan of Ryce Gracie, I won't be attending.  As I explained to the gentleman above, I'm a ttending a seminar this w/e - twice the time, half the cost.  Then I'm going to a show afterwards which set me back £25.  Travel and drinks will add up to more, but I AM prepared to shell out £60 in a day, just not on 1.5 hours with somebody I'm not that interested in.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby Mr.Tibbs » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:57 pm | #24

"Market Forces!" Maybe fashion victims! I wonder how many attending are paying simply for the picture and autogragh as surely they don`t really expect to gain much info in the time frame allocated and the volume of students attending. Still I guess there will be friends and colleagues that will be impressed by the picture as it sits proudly on their wall at home or more likely their Facebook account and this in turn will bolster their dodgy dan grades.   :wink:
Mr.Tibbs None specified

Postby ToffeeApple » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm | #25

Mr.Tibbs wrote:Still I guess there will be friends and colleagues that will be impressed by the picture as it sits proudly on their wall at home or more likely their Facebook account and this in turn will bolster their dodgy dan grades.

But not you right?  'Cos you're all authentic. ;)

Obvious troll is ...?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby Mad Dog » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:43 pm | #26

I get the feeling you are trying hard to have a dig at someone.. I'm just not sure who..

If you dont like him, dont want to pay that much, or whatever other reason.. dont! you do have a choice.. stop moaning and let us get on with enjoying what we want to do  :roll:

The guy is a legend, not just for UFC but in my eyes for bringing Ju Jitsu to the front of peoples minds when they think of martial arts, something i've been trying to do for almost as long as he has. If he can charge that much and people are willing to pay, then good luck to him, I wish i could.

Thousand of people go to Disney and get their picture taken with Mickey Mouse, does that mean they are bolstering their dodgy ears? Anyone who knows anything about BJJ, knows that you can only get a BJJ grade from a BJJ school, and they are run by Certified BJJ Instructors, and they take 5-7 years to get to black belt etc.. you cant get a dodgy one as far as I'm aware!
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back.

Fall down 7 times, get up eight.

Goshin Ju Jitsu Ryu & The Combat Academy

http://www.jitsu.org.uk
http://www.jitsukit.co.uk
Mad Dog Male
Kyouken

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:36 pm | #27

I suspect the point there is that there are certain people out there who do like collecting photos of themselves with famous martial artists - in some way to boost their own credibility.  Doubtless, you'll get a few of them to your seminar!

Best of luck to them, we all know it's bullsh1t and no substitute for hard work and a modicum of skill.  They probably do to, but it doesn't stop some dojos, websites and martial arts books being peppered with these rather embarrasing photos.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:08 pm | #28

Genghis wrote:I suspect the point there is that there are certain people out there who do like collecting photos of themselves with famous martial artists - in some way to boost their own credibility.  Doubtless, you'll get a few of them to your seminar!

Best of luck to them, we all know it's bullsh1t and no substitute for hard work and a modicum of skill.  They probably do to, but it doesn't stop some dojos, websites and martial arts books being peppered with these rather embarrasing photos.

I find myself cringing slightly when I see the sort of thing you mean, but to be perfectly honest, I think it is much more about disneyland than anything else.  Hell, people put up pictures of people they've never even met, or have only seen from afar up in their houses, bedrooms and offices all the time.
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby captaintau » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:13 pm | #29

I have pictures of myself with most of the Red Dwarf cast. I use them to bolster my... Well nothing really. But they're fun.

Looking forward to it, Mad Dog
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Postby Mr.Tibbs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:33 pm | #30

Anyone who knows anything about BJJ, knows that you can only get a BJJ grade from a BJJ school, and they are run by Certified BJJ Instructors, and they take 5-7 years to get to black belt etc.. you cant get a dodgy one as far as I'm aware![/quote]
Checkout Gracie Jujitsu Academy and go to "Training Programs" and you`ll see the "At home Training".I`m genuinely interested in your opinion on the matter.
Mr.Tibbs None specified

PreviousNext

Return to Courses & Events

Signup