Gremlin this weekend

Announcements and reviews of the latest courses within the world of Jiu Jitsu.

Moderator: Moderators

Gremlin this weekend

Postby captaintau » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:36 am | #1

Gremlin's fighting in London on Saturday (26.2.11). Is it Cagewarriors again?

I've asked her via twitter but got no reply: does anyone know if the event will be televised or available on line at all?
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Gremlin this weekend

Postby ToffeeApple » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 am | #2

http://www.cagewarriors.com/live.php  

You need to give them your email, but otherwise free.  I've signed up, but I've got a competition on the day and may end up getting dragged into watching BAMMA on tv with the team after.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 am | #3

Thanks, TA
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Postby ToffeeApple » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:47 pm | #4

You're welcome.  

The stream has run well, the card has been good, now it's time for the main event! :dance:
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby aiki-jitsoo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:06 am | #5

Interesting fight so far :)
aiki-jitsoo Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:17 am | #6

I was really impressed by the way she gave modafferi no room on the standups - straight back in with strikes into the clinch.  Definate heart-stopping moments though!
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby captaintau » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 am | #7

Spoiler: show
Great fight, great result. Can't believe Gremlin got caught in Sangaku. It'll probably be because I know her (and her TJF history) but I could see her uchi mata attempts coming from a minute beforehand.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Postby ToffeeApple » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35 am | #8

She said afterwards that she didn't feel threatened at any point by the submission attempts, which I can believe as she said she did feel like she was in trouble when Krumdiak caught her in an armbar.  I wasn't surprised to see Gr defending submissions, as she does seem to leave things in range... It might have been baiting though - Modafferi looked like she switched to a guard game halfway through the fight like she thought it was her best option.
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby Goober » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:00 pm | #9

Does anyone have a link to somewhere you can watch the fight?
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:24 pm | #10

^You could try youtube or somewhere like mmashare.com, I'd have a look for you, but I'm avoiding spoilers for some other fights that took place yesterday and youtube comments, and that forum in particular, will be full of them.  Even if the results are hidden, you can usually tell who won by whose post fight interviews have been put up for discussion.

Alternatively, I know bloodyelbow.com did a blog entry for CW40 - you'll probably have to fish for it a couple of pages back, but there may be a link to an upload of the fight there, or in a possible (unlikely today) recap/analysis post.  There were some excellent bouts on that card, I urge you to check out aaron thomas vs charlie leary for a great display of rear mount control, isaksson vs reed for a better wrestling & boxing vs really slick grappling and grimshaw vs padavia for a really interesting fight with stylistics differences.
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby captaintau » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 am | #11

Goober wrote:Does anyone have a link to somewhere you can watch the fight?

It's on YouTube. I can't give you the link, sorry, as it was posted on twitter and I can''t copy the URL on iPhone when i'm dealing with Tweetdeck/tinyurl/YouTube.

I just thought... You're on twitter, Goober. I'll retweet it, mentioning you!
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Postby Goober » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:37 pm | #12

Watched it on youtube this morning.

Good fight, close call.

I'm actually a little suprised Gremlin got it to be honest. There was almost nothing between them. I guess it depends to some extent how close that Triangle was to going on at the end. Didn't look like Gremlin was that close to getting a submission at any point.

Suprised at quite how quick her opponant was to pull guard, seemed like she only had one game plan, and that was to pull guard and get a sub from there. Isn't guard actually quite a weak position in an MMA fight?
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:18 pm | #13

I disagree with your assessment in the spoiler tags, though all the rounds were close, save perhaps the 3rd.

Gremlin drove it to the fence every time, where she was reversed but that was a bit of a turntable.  G got multiple takedowns and worked strikes on the floor.  The third round saw Rosi punish every escape and standup with strikes, straight into another takedown.  There wasn't much to set the standing exchanges in free m,ovement and against the fence apart.  I say the 3rd might not be seen as so close, because despite the submission attempts, G dominated the rest of the game.

Guard is not a very good position if you can't control posture and attack from it, which Roxanne managed to do.  I believe it was the threat she managed from guard in the second that meant she was inclined to try for more submissions from guard in the third - she did manage to climb her legs and break G's posture.  Furthermore, Roxanne did try and break the ground game and stand several times, but like I said earlier, that just resulted in punsihment and a swift ticket straight back to the clinch.
Last edited by ToffeeApple on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby jitsukat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 pm | #14

I was there!  Sitting next to three people cheering for Roxanne, but it was all friendly...

Good fight, as were many of the others that night.

Not going to post any technical analysis because I don't know enough.  :)
The rose is the freedom of the rose tree
jitsukat None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 pm | #15

I'm tired just watching it.  Great fight, I learned a lot watching it.
http://rosisexton.wordpress.com/
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Next

Return to Courses & Events

Signup