What's the most underated Martial Art

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cullion » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:55 pm | #31

Genghis wrote:
cullion wrote:I agree that amongst the general public Systema isn't underrated, because most people simply haven't heard of it.

I'd say it was a mixed bag, but I do find the paramilitary 'soviet special forces hardman' spin in some of the marketing and the way they sometimes dress up in camouflage at seminars quite silly.

I know nothing about Systema, but given that most of us wander around seminars dressed as 17th century Japanese peasants, we're probably in no position to criticise.

G

Nazareth is right, the Gi was only ever really sporting gear for wrestling in a jacket. Hakama are something else. And I don't want to go there.
Last edited by cullion on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Captaintau is the most handsome, most charming, funniest and most talented Martial Artist I've ever had the pleasure of encountering on this forum".
cullion None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Nazareth » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:09 pm | #32

For the naysayers of Shotokan Karate, there's the classic example of Merseyside yob Les Andrews being dispatched with a falcon punch.

Short version below:

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ronin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:16 pm | #33

Oh how I chuckled :-)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Ronin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:59 pm | #34

Beautiful troll job. 'Falcon punch' indeed.
"Captaintau is the most handsome, most charming, funniest and most talented Martial Artist I've ever had the pleasure of encountering on this forum".
cullion None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:16 pm | #35

Actually what I like about that is the use of the shuto uke as a fence. Nicely done.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Nazareth » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:10 am | #36

cullion wrote:Beautiful troll job. 'Falcon punch' indeed.
Well, it's what he said in the interview!  :D
Where he's also described as a "Yob Smacking Web Sensation"... 'falcon punch' is mentioned about 1/3 into the interview.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:10 pm | #37

Nazareth wrote:
cullion wrote:Beautiful troll job. 'Falcon punch' indeed.
Well, it's what he said in the interview!  :D
Where he's also described as a "Yob Smacking Web Sensation"... 'falcon punch' is mentioned about 1/3 into the interview.

I was talking about him, not you. I think the guy in question was actually trolling us all when describing the falcon punch. If that's the case, my respect for him knows no bounds.
cullion None specified

What about Sambo?

Postby kunoichi » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:10 pm | #38

What about Sambo? Few people have even heard of it (does that count), but it looks amazing and has produced some fantastic MMA players.

BTW, does anyone know of any Sambo clubs in the UK (especially in the south east). I'd really love to have a go.
kunoichi None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: What about Sambo?

Postby cullion » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:28 pm | #39

kunoichi wrote:What about Sambo? Few people have even heard of it (does that count), but it looks amazing and has produced some fantastic MMA players.

BTW, does anyone know of any Sambo clubs in the UK (especially in the south east). I'd really love to have a go.

Sambo's hard to find. There's a Sambo club in Cambridge I believe.
cullion None specified

Postby ToffeeApple » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:54 pm | #40

cullion wrote:I was talking about him, not you. I think the guy in question was actually trolling us all when describing the falcon punch. If that's the case, my respect for him knows no bounds.
Personally, I think cullion has a point. 'falcon punch' must be something from his jiujitsu unless he is having a private joke at the sun's expense.

I know I only dabbled in karate, but shotokan karate is fairly no-nonsense. 'falcon punch' sounds really out of character, so I looked it up in my orange book. The translation 'vertical punch' in there makes much more sense.
:banzai:
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:36 pm | #41

ToffeeApple wrote:I was talking about him, not you. I think the guy in question was actually trolling us all when describing the falcon punch. If that's the case, my respect for him knows no bounds.
Personally, I think cullion has a point. 'falcon punch' must be something from his jiujitsu unless he is having a private joke at the sun's expense.[/quote]

He's having a big joke with everybody. Good for him.

Google the term 'falcon punch'.
cullion None specified

Re: What about Sambo?

Postby tiggersdontclimbtrees » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:38 am | #42

cullion wrote:
kunoichi wrote:What about Sambo? Few people have even heard of it (does that count), but it looks amazing and has produced some fantastic MMA players.

Sambo's hard to find. There's a Sambo club in Cambridge I believe.

I went to a Sambo session whilst I was in France, it's quite popular there - good fun!
tiggersdontclimbtrees None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:06 pm | #43

cullion wrote:He's having a big joke with everybody. Good for him.

Google the term 'falcon punch'.
Hahaha. Nice one. Obviously I missed the karate lesson they taught it. :wink:
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby Nazareth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:37 pm | #44

cullion wrote:I was talking about him, not you. I think the guy in question was actually trolling us all when describing the falcon punch. If that's the case, my respect for him knows no bounds.
Yeah, I realised this after Googling as well! :D
George Bernard Shaw

Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Postby GingerNinja » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:29 am | #45

And I thought you guys were all kidding about not knowing. Maybe I've been on the internet too long:

GingerNinja

PreviousNext

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup