What's the most underated Martial Art

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What about Sambo?

Postby kunoichi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:25 pm | #46

tiggersdontclimbtrees wrote:
cullion wrote:
kunoichi wrote:What about Sambo? Few people have even heard of it (does that count), but it looks amazing and has produced some fantastic MMA players.

BTW, does anyone know of any Sambo clubs in the UK (especially in the south east). I'd really love to have a go.

Sambo's hard to find. There's a Sambo club in Cambridge I believe.

I went to a Sambo session whilst I was in France, it's quite popular there - good fun!

I hear Judo is much more common over there too.
kunoichi None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Mad Dog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:25 pm | #47

Numerically I would say Jeet Kun Do, famous the world over as the style of Bruce Lee, but what happened to it? where are the clubs? why isnt it popular? which brings me to the conclusion its overated as I have never seen or heard of any one doing it.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back.

Fall down 7 times, get up eight.

Goshin Ju Jitsu Ryu & The Combat Academy

http://www.jitsu.org.uk
http://www.jitsukit.co.uk
Mad Dog Male
Kyouken

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Goober » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:10 pm | #48

I believe my old Aiuchi instructor in Harrow cross trained in JKD. I think he had a login here, but I've never seen him post.
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby OneDragons » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 pm | #49

Have spoken to people who have tried it and from what I can gather from a small sampling is the technical knowledge of stuff wasn't very deep. They were more stuff cobbled together with an Eastern MA base with BJJ and boxing done...a bit.
The many within One!

Greek Proverb "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
OneDragons None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:53 am | #50

Mad Dog wrote:Numerically I would say Jeet Kun Do, famous the world over as the style of Bruce Lee, but what happened to it? where are the clubs? why isnt it popular? which brings me to the conclusion its overated as I have never seen or heard of any one doing it.

JKD, as I understand it, works on the general principle of practicing a variety of complementary arts, and learning methods by why techniques are selected and adapted.

That works very well - if you've studied a variety of arts to a high standard, and therefore can draw upon them.  A good proponent of this is Marcie Harding in Malvern.

But, I think that a lot of the people teaching "JKD" are trying to teach it as a single art - which it isn't.  So, you end up with something showy, but ultimately very weak.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:09 pm | #51

Genghis wrote:But, I think that a lot of the people teaching "JKD" are trying to teach it as a single art - which it isn't.

I think it became a single art, much like "MMA" is becoming an art in itsself. We now have "Jun Fan JKD" and "JKD Concepts" as seperate styles. I'm not a great expert on these but my understanding is that one is one art that just happens to promote evolution via the assimilation of things like MMA or whatever they find useful. The other found that what Bruce Lee did was amazing and so stuck with it, forsaking the evolution that made JKD what it was. In Dao of JKD, Bruce Lee talks about JKD as it if it's one art.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:17 pm | #52

captaintau wrote:
Genghis wrote:But, I think that a lot of the people teaching "JKD" are trying to teach it as a single art - which it isn't.

I think it became a single art, much like "MMA" is becoming an art in itsself. We now have "Jun Fan JKD" and "JKD Concepts" as seperate styles. I'm not a great expert on these but my understanding is that one is one art that just happens to promote evolution via the assimilation of things like MMA or whatever they find useful. The other found that what Bruce Lee did was amazing and so stuck with it, forsaking the evolution that made JKD what it was. In Dao of JKD, Bruce Lee talks about JKD as it if it's one art.

To Bruce Lee, it probably was one art - but that was the holistic view of an exceptional martial artist.

"JKD concepts" seems to me fairly honest - it's the adaptation of existing skills and training methods, to try and constantly develop something better - an adaptable combination of martial arts tools.  On the other hand, is that not what many modern MAs are trying to do - they just don't call it that?

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby Hirsty » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:05 pm | #53

Rick Young trains under a JKD banner and I have to saw  he is very, very good.  Worth training under if you are in the Edinburgh area.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:39 pm | #54

Jeet Kune Do is taught by people with a range of different takes on it.

Some people see it as a philosophy of martial arts rather than a martial art itself. i.e. 'Take what works'. Matt Thornton who founded the Straight Blast Gym chain was orginally a Jeet Kune Do instructor who took this approach.

If you're looking for a codified style founded by Bruce Lee it's called 'Jun Fan Gung Fu' and it's basically a mix of western boxing, Wing Chun and the footwork from western fencing. Some places that teach 'Jeet Kune Do' are basically teaching this style, often with some philipino martial arts mixed in due to Dan Inosanto's influence.
"Captaintau is the most handsome, most charming, funniest and most talented Martial Artist I've ever had the pleasure of encountering on this forum".
cullion None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Blackbelt007 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:55 pm | #55

I have a friend who is 4th Dan JKD and I have a Sombo coaching award, my Dad is a Sombo Coach along with another of our guys and I am good mates with the national Sombo Coach! We did have both male and female European champions in our club at one time but the enthusiasm for this style has dwindled so there are no Sombo classes held at the moment. In Cambridge there is Ollie Batts (goole CAMA) he has classes in Sombo I think, a  nice chap who I have trained with a number of times. I would say Sombo is a very underated style as is JKD. Alythough JKD is more a philosophy than a style.
Keep passing the open windows!
Blackbelt007 Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:35 pm | #56

Interesting how early on I mentioned Wing Chun and we've come around to discussing Jeet Kune Do.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Postby Roberdin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:00 pm | #57

I like the way some guy closes his gate for him at the end of the video. :)
Roberdin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thedeester1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:12 pm | #58

JKD half the fight is in your mind.....
thedeester1 None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Serial Chiller » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:00 am | #59

all martial arts are under rated as people dont usually know enough about them.
Serial Chiller None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Mr.Tibbs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:14 pm | #60

Goober wrote:Rated by whom. And for what?

The Russian government for one!
Mr.Tibbs None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PreviousNext

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup