What's the most underated Martial Art

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Goober » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 pm | #61

Mr.Tibbs wrote:
Goober wrote:Rated by whom. And for what?

The Russian government for one!

Eh?

That doesn't make any sense?!? :brain:
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: What's the most underated Martial Art

Postby nz_ROB » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:17 am | #62

captaintau wrote:... But what do we think is the most underated Martial Art? I mean, what's actually really worth studying but is often overlooked?
Eskrima
nz_ROB

Postby captaintau » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:42 am | #63

I disagree. I think it's well respected and not overlooked. Probably not as well known amongst the masses but certainly well known to Martial Artists.

My one concern with the Filipino MAs is that I wonder if their current uptake is simply another MA fad.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 am | #64

captaintau wrote:I disagree. I think it's well respected and not overlooked. Probably not as well known amongst the masses but certainly well known to Martial Artists.

My one concern with the Filipino MAs is that I wonder if their current uptake is simply another MA fad.
A very good point, Pete.

I have been studying FMA for about 5 years now and although I think there is a "fad" element with the current popularity around the world, I feel it has a very relevant significance to our training program as a club .. and style.

I specifically targeted it to bring on a whole new element in to the weapons syllabus of the club .. revitalising the tired old bo,jo,bokken,nunchaku routine.

So, for me, when the "fad" has taken it's course worldwide, I, for one, will continue to incorporate elements of this style into our training syllabus .. so more than a fad for us .. has become an important element of our development.  :)
nz_ROB

Kalarippayattu

Postby baby yaya » Thu May 20, 2010 11:25 am | #65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sh7x3-VXh0

Its in relation to the above link:

I watch this some time ago and was indocrinated especially by the sublimina text at the end of the clip....
It was purposly put there.

I then watched this clip below and the subsequent parts
I was amazed to see how exstensive and comprehensive
this Kalari is

It would seem to cover 'ALL' martial arts concepts.
My point is after discovering this I have also found out the discovery channel has also made a documentary about this art and support its histoy.

my point would be then what does that say about the 'biggotry' that Chris Crudelli is responsible for putting out via his media clips.
After all a Celebrity martial artist who bring MA to the masses surely should be more resposible and 'NOT' biased when reporting 'ALL' Martial arts should n't he?...Or am I expecting too much from him?

look at these clips and comments please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsUai4wt6Yk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B09zqMi ... 1&index=61
baby yaya None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Thu May 20, 2010 4:42 pm | #66

"There are other massages for enjoyment..." -From the documentary.
:wink:

The man gives his opinion as someone who has extensive experience with chinese martial arts and has witnessed kalari before.

His mistrust of the relationship between the guru and his followers are in my opinion perfectly valid.  It's related to 'master' discussions *cough*gracie jiujitsu*cough*kungfu*cough* in martial arts archived in BB's all over the internet, as well as the criticism levelled by people with sense at gurus in yoga.

I think you just want to be offended by crudelli, or perhaps the bbc.  When his first show was on tv, there was a thread in which people complained that it wasn't about telling people they should do judo & jiujitsu. (i.e. "real" martial arts.)

I personally have no opinion on how much the 'purity' of that particular gentleman's school, or indigenous martial arts in kerala has been affected by outside influence.  I have a hard time not believing the guru in kickass miracles is full of crap.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby baby yaya » Mon May 24, 2010 9:09 pm | #67

"The man gives his opinion as someone who has extensive experience with chinese martial arts and has witnessed kalari before."

How do you   he has seen Kalari before?...did he tell you this?
Therefore this is Your assumption..correct?,  and invalid comment.

"
His mistrust of the relationship between the guru and his followers are in my opinion perfectly valid. It's related to 'master' discussions *cough*gracie jiujitsu*cough*kungfu*cough* in martial arts archived in BB's all over the internet, as well as the criticism levelled by people with sense at gurus in yoga. "

How is this valid?..remember this is just your opinion.Were you a master in this master discussion? Yet you attribute your reasons to 'master" discussions on the internet? so you believe everyone who claims to be a master on the BB or internet?..Naive to say the least.
Look what is happeneing to Moni Aizak with his lawsuits with Combat Krav Maga to understand my point.

"I think you just want to be offended by crudelli, or perhaps the bbc. When his first show was on tv, there was a thread in which people complained that it wasn't about telling people they should do judo & jiujitsu. (i.e. "real" martial arts.) "

Why would I want to be offended bt Crudell or the BBC?
I comment on what I can quantify not on opinion..catch my drift?
He is a traditional martial artist not a Indian martial artist...Id expect him to not relly be an intellect on Kalari...that is reasonable because if he was...he would have played the 'Dodgy' Kalari Guru against a 'Real' one
He didint. If you want to claim someone is a fraud you can at least show every one the real article..otherwise you look like a fraud yourself for make un-founded statements. A resonable expectation i'd say.

"I personally have no opinion on how much the 'purity' of that particular gentleman's school, or indigenous martial arts in kerala has been affected by outside influence. I have a hard time not believing the guru in kickass miracles is full of crap."

You have a hard time not believing the 'Guru' in Kickass because you actually see him as one. He is not a Guru.
He is a traditional Martial Artist who has a Television program on the BBC..thats all.
If you see him as a guru clearly for you the sun will always shine from his
posterior and your own subjective thought mechanisms will be obviously disabled..think about it
baby yaya None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Mon May 24, 2010 9:46 pm | #68

^Not really, no. :roll:
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby GingerNinja » Tue May 25, 2010 9:42 am | #69

baby yaya wrote: If you want to claim someone is a fraud you can at least show every one the real article..otherwise you look like a fraud yourself for make un-founded statements. A resonable expectation i'd say.

But what if there is no 'real-article' - if someone is making impossible claims, everyone making them would be a fraud, no?
GingerNinja

Previous

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup