KIXA

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Postby GingerNinja » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:36 pm | #16

GingerNinja

Postby nao » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:07 pm | #17

Fluffy_the_happy_lobster wrote:that was them ct. lots of breathing, focusing, serious stare and then getting poked.
Sounds like my wife right before she got pregnant! :lol:
nao None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:42 pm | #18

I just hope someone has told them about houdini.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Pocahontas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:44 pm | #19

Yes, we discussed the houdini thing at work...
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
DIET AND EXERCISE BLOG: http://nopain-nojane.blogspot.com/
Pocahontas None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 am | #20

All sounds a bit cult-like to me. A bit far fetched I know, but it reminds me of the sort of organization you come across in fanciful nonsense like Man from Uncle films or Clive Cussler novels.

It would certainly be interesting for somebody to have a look at them, but that person would have to look better in a skirt than me.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 am | #21

Genghis wrote: it reminds me of the sort of organization you come across in fanciful nonsense like Man from Uncle
Napoleon Solo is far too manly for that sort of rot! Unless you're suggesting he beat up a lot of girls... :?
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby OneDragons » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 am | #22

Genghis wrote:All sounds a bit cult-like to me.
G

Unlike other MA organisations? :lol:
The many within One!

Greek Proverb "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
OneDragons None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: KIXA

Postby Mr.Tibbs » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:13 pm | #23

I have a sister in law who studied Kixa for about a year. They were a strange crowd who made some claims to be the oldest martial art around and that they had some secrets scrolls that they found .In the end she saw the light .She went on some Indonesian training trip and came back double graded! She also trained in women only classes and freaked out when in a mixed class as she`d never been attacked by a man.
Mr.Tibbs None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

KIXA

Postby Hilja » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:09 pm | #24

this is a MA but not as we know it but something between hard style Qi  Gong, "iron shirt", yoga and fakirdom - no fighting or actual "self defence" is intended or practised - Wikipedia has entry under the old name "Kateda" that does give fairly good impression what this is about.(this stuff is also known as Sindo and has other off shoots e.g. Nearu.) add a few power hungry and slightly loopy masters (at least in the past) into the mix and you get  something quite far out out on the cult continuum and what is not everyone's cup of tea - this is not to say it does not do what it says on the tin in terms of first getting the practitioners physically fit and then producing ability to perform some fakirish feats (seen it in very close quarters) - so do various other styles of meditation as well as hypnosis and self-hypnosis. the question of spiritual development probably needs to remain a question of personal experience. take your pick.
Hilja None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: KIXA

Postby ToffeeApple » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:15 pm | #25

Hilja wrote:no fighting or actual "self defence" is intended or practised
This may be your experience, but their websites say the exact opposite.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Clueless » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:55 pm | #26

Genghis wrote:All sounds a bit cult-like to me. A bit far fetched I know, but it reminds me of the sort of organization you come across in fanciful nonsense like Man from Uncle films or Clive Cussler novels.

It would certainly be interesting for somebody to have a look at them, but that person would have to look better in a skirt than me.

G

Ah, from that I infer that you mean a bit of light-hearted entertainment, but ultimately pointless? I was introduced to Clive Cussler novels by a fellow jitsuka back when I was an undergrad. I find them very entertaining, but I doubt anyone's ever taken them seriously.  :?

I still nominate Poca to infiltrate.  :P If the river festival doesn't clash with me going on holiday in July again, I could be persuaded to investigate.  :)
'You're just a walking contamination event really' - My line manager...
'Evil Temptress' - Hirsty

Eternal :ltblue:
Clueless None specified

Postby Genghis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:38 pm | #27

Clueless wrote:
Genghis wrote:All sounds a bit cult-like to me. A bit far fetched I know, but it reminds me of the sort of organization you come across in fanciful nonsense like Man from Uncle films or Clive Cussler novels.

G

Ah, from that I infer that you mean a bit of light-hearted entertainment, but ultimately pointless? I was introduced to Clive Cussler novels by a fellow jitsuka back when I was an undergrad. I find them very entertaining, but I doubt anyone's ever taken them seriously.  :?

I still nominate Poca to infiltrate.  :P If the river festival doesn't clash with me going on holiday in July again, I could be persuaded to investigate.  :)

A lady dan grade would be ideal - is Prince Kickarse around anywhere still - she looks incredibly girly and inoffensive (until you try and attack her!).

Sadly, I'm working abroad this July, so will miss any fun myself.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Nazareth » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:58 am | #28

Genghis wrote:A lady dan grade would be ideal - is Prince Kickarse around anywhere still - she looks incredibly girly and inoffensive (until you try and attack her!).

Gremlin? :o:
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Postby Hirsty » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:53 am | #29

"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Postby Hilja » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:19 pm | #30

[ToffeeApple wrote:]
Hilja wrote:no fighting or actual "self defence" is intended or practised
 This may be your experience, but their websites say the exact opposite.

When they say “self defence” with reference to real life they usually mean something similar to when others talk about “self protection” – this is to be accomplished by awareness and exuding attitude (lot of people would agree with that sort of thing) – and if worse come to worse neutralising the other guy by one “central power” fuelled swipe (there are a few set piece standard defences e.g. to straight punch or grab from behind) or withstanding their attack by your CP induced abilities – definitely no practice of sparring, amusing wristlocks or rolling around on the floor with your (giggling) partner as is the wont of jitsuka. As I said – MA but not as we know it.
Hilja None specified

PreviousNext

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup