KIXA

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:05 pm | #31

this is perhaps one of my issues with them. They do say they teach self defence and this is based on some mystic stuff, and taught in all women classes.

*warning! sweeping generalisation*

Many women just do not appreciate the huge difference in strength between a man and woman.

'neutralising the other guy by one “central power” fuelled swipe...or withstanding their attack by your CP induced abilities'

Scary.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrPoundy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:00 pm | #32

Nazareth wrote:
Gengis wrote:A lady dan grade would be ideal - is Prince Kickarse around anywhere still - she looks incredibly girly and inoffensive (until you try and attack her!).

Gremlin?  :o:

What about Silver Panther? Looks sweet and innocent but really vicious (Ask Tom). I don't think Gremlin could manage to look sweet and innocent.

A
Blue skies ahead.
MrPoundy Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Goshin Ju-Jitsu Spain » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:15 pm | #33

MrPoundy wrote: What about Silver Panther? Looks sweet and innocent but really vicious (Ask Tom).

What are you talking about :o:

She hasn't looked sweet and innocent since she was about 6yrs old lol.

:twisted:
Goshin Ju-Jitsu Spain None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrPoundy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:33 pm | #34

Goshin Ju-Jitsu Spain wrote:
MrPoundy wrote:What about Silver Panther? Looks sweet and innocent but really vicious (Ask Tom).

What are you talking about :o:

She hasn't looked sweet and innocent since she was about 6yrs old lol.

Maybe she just looked sweet and innocent compared to the band of cut throats in Loughborough.....

I'm sure she could act the part.....

A
Blue skies ahead.
MrPoundy Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kunoichi » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 pm | #35

Fluffy_the_happy_lobster wrote:this is perhaps one of my issues with them. They do say they teach self defence and this is based on some mystic stuff, and taught in all women classes.

*warning! sweeping generalisation*

Many women just do not appreciate the huge difference in strength between a man and woman.

'neutralising the other guy by one “central power” fuelled swipe...or withstanding their attack by your CP induced abilities'

Scary.

Hmm, this is interesting. - How true is this? How big is the strength difference between a man and a woman?

I've come across at least one woman who's pretty damn strong (she's bigger than me mind) I'm sure there must be others.

Now, of course, women tend to be (considerably) smaller than men and I think the effect of a weight difference is often underestimated. (Probably even more so in the less `alive' MAs.) But, if we take a man and a woman of the same weight how big on average would the strength difference be? What about if their bodies were `conditioned' through some kind of training?
kunoichi None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:19 am | #36

Don't know. That said it is fairly irrelevant as I reckon the risk that a lass my size and weight (five-ten, night on 18 stone) would be attacked is less than the average.

For self defence stuff they should deal with the most likely situation.

Easiest comparison, get some of the lasses that post here to comment, most will have experienced it and should be able to give a perspective.

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Pocahontas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:29 am | #37

I am short, stocky and used to be pretty strong for a girl (not so much now). I had a very strong grip that most people couldn't break if I got them in a bear hug, could lift heavy things, could challenge a lot of the smaller guys in arm wrestles etc. As a teenager at school, I used to play fight with the guys and although I was possibly stronger than most of them, they were pretty scrawny and light...and even then, it was close.

When I started Jitsu and we did things like rape attacks, or ground work, I was always amazed at how strong even the smaller guys were. If they were small and slim and never really exercised than I could possibly beat them, but the small (10 stone) guys who had a lot of lean muscle seemed really strong for someone so small!  :?

I do think there is a big difference, and I don't think in jitsu it's told enough - all you hear from some people is 'size doesn't matter' - but i think strength can make a massive difference.
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
DIET AND EXERCISE BLOG: http://nopain-nojane.blogspot.com/
Pocahontas None specified

Postby GingerNinja » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:55 am | #38

Pocahontas wrote:I do think there is a big difference, and I don't think in jitsu it's told enough - all you hear from some people is 'size doesn't matter' - but i think strength can make a massive difference.

Agree. Blokes my size, even without exercise - seem to be better at lifting heavy things.
GingerNinja

Postby Clueless » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:13 am | #39

GingerNinja wrote:
Pocahontas wrote:I do think there is a big difference, and I don't think in jitsu it's told enough - all you hear from some people is 'size doesn't matter' - but i think strength can make a massive difference.

Agree. Blokes my size, even without exercise - seem to be better at lifting heavy things.

Yep. Weight training in the gym tells me I'm never going to be able to lift anything like what a guy my size could.  :(
'You're just a walking contamination event really' - My line manager...
'Evil Temptress' - Hirsty

Eternal :ltblue:
Clueless None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kunoichi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:24 am | #40

I'll shut up then!

Thanks for the opinions girls.

(I wonder if my friend is just a freak of nature, being so strong...)
kunoichi None specified

Postby Pocahontas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:28 am | #41

Some women will be very strong - As a general example, to me Gremlin looks tiny but is sooo much stronger than me. A much larger woman who works on the weights would probably also be very strong for her size. But I doubt as strong as a man with the same training.
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
DIET AND EXERCISE BLOG: http://nopain-nojane.blogspot.com/
Pocahontas None specified

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 pm | #42

I think this stuff is one of the benefits of jitsu, and some other martial arts. You realise this stuff. I've lost count of the number of deluded freshers I've encountered over the years.

Postby Goshin Ju-Jitsu Spain » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:51 pm | #43

:ot:
At the risk of going way off topic!!!

The problem is that the majority of people at the lower levels seem to be ignorant of how the whole size doesnt matter thing actually works.  The point isn't that you can use all jujitsu techniques on everybody no matter how big or small they are.

Its that with study of jujitsu you should be armed with a range of  techniques which will work on different types of attack, and different types of body, and that you will have the ability to sellect the appropriate one to deal with the attack you are presented with.

Its also worth remembering that this ignorance of the principle is not the fault of the student but is a major failing on our part as instructors.
Goshin Ju-Jitsu Spain None specified

Postby Nazareth » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 pm | #44

I was training at Genghis' dojo yesterday and paired up with a humongously tall chap - I found myself wondering what techniques I'd use on him other than an uppercut! :thinking:

I'm sure he was thinking similar thoughts - when attempting to bearhug him from behind I kinda felt like Yoda, but the wrong way!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."
George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein
Nazareth Male
Tumbleweed

Postby bombchucka » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:04 pm | #45

Terry Pratchett wrote "When his hands are higher than your head, his groin is level with your teeth."
Now read the following colours out loud:
Green, Red, Blue
bombchucka None specified

PreviousNext

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup