The "Predator" weapon

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

The "Predator" weapon

Postby captaintau » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:26 pm | #1

Had an interesting e-mail this morning, alerting me of an upcoming seminar covering the use of the "Predator" weapon:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVPVDxniGBo&feature=related[/youtube]

I should add that I'm at work and so don't have audio.

Anyone got any experience of these? They stike me (!) as a cross between a Kubotan and a Kama.

What would be the legal stance on them? I suspect they'll be a no-no, just like the Kubotan.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:54 pm | #2

/groan. :no:

[edit] Kubotans - those rod keyrings?  I don't think they are illegal...  This thing however is like somebody looked at those safety cutters used by supermarkets, asked themselves "how can we give this the bad image nunchucks used to have in british culture?" and then manufactured them.

I have no hard knowledge on these things, but I would rate them as pretty indefensible to carry, unless one were travelling to and from some sort of 'predator' :roll: workshop/lesson.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Matt NZ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:12 am | #3

This is a good predator

This is a bad predator
Matt NZ None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby bombchucka » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:33 am | #4

Now read the following colours out loud:
Green, Red, Blue
bombchucka None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Mad Dog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:35 am | #5

bombchucka wrote:Kubotans are illegal

That refers to 'hollow kubotans' which have spikes inside them.. solid kubotans are not illegal..
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back.

Fall down 7 times, get up eight.

Goshin Ju Jitsu Ryu & The Combat Academy

http://www.jitsu.org.uk
http://www.jitsukit.co.uk
Mad Dog Male
Kyouken

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:21 am | #6

ToffeeApple wrote:/groan. :no:

[edit] Kubotans - those rod keyrings?  I don't think they are illegal...  This thing however is like somebody looked at those safety cutters used by supermarkets, asked themselves "how can we give this the bad image nunchucks used to have in british culture?" and then manufactured them.

Weren't supermarket boxcutters what the 9/11 terrorists used?  That should give anything a fairly poor reputation.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Blackbelt007 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 am | #7

I used to carry a kubotan as a keyring and when I was once stopped by the local police they did raise an eyebrow about it. This was some years ago when I was a teenager, walking home in the wee small hoursof the morning and during a spate of car break ins so the police were stopping any teenagers in the wee small hours (just wanted to clairfy I am not in the habit of being stopped and searched by police). The officer knew me via my Dad (being a youth justice worker at the time and a prominant MA coach. He asked me if I knew what it was and when I said yes he told me it would be best not to carry it.

AFAIK Carrying anything with the intent to cause harm (be it self defence or otherwise) is an offence. Regardless of the object. Carrying a kubotan with the intent to use it in self defence is therfore 'tooling up' to use the correct vernacular!
Keep passing the open windows!
Blackbelt007 Male

Postby Mad Dog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:43 am | #8

Blackbelt007 wrote:AFAIK Carrying anything with the intent to cause harm (be it self defence or otherwise) is an offence. Regardless of the object. Carrying a kubotan with the intent to use it in self defence is therfore 'tooling up' to use the correct vernacular!

So the Kubotan itself is not illegal, its the 'carrying it for self defence' that would make it illegal. If you were carrying it as a keyring, or a 'lucky' charm because it was given to you.. though you would be better to carry a metal torch of the same dimensions.. 2 uses and a lot fewer questions..

Mad Dog Male
Kyouken

Postby beaker » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 pm | #9

Genghis wrote:
ToffeeApple wrote:/groan. :no:

Weren't supermarket boxcutters what the 9/11 terrorists used?  That should give anything a fairly poor reputation.

I think this is another 'divided by a common language' thing.  The Americans call Stanley knives 'boxcutters'.
beaker None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Blackbelt007 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:19 pm | #10

Mad Dog wrote:
Blackbelt007 wrote:AFAIK Carrying anything with the intent to cause harm (be it self defence or otherwise) is an offence. Regardless of the object. Carrying a kubotan with the intent to use it in self defence is therfore 'tooling up' to use the correct vernacular!

So the Kubotan itself is not illegal, its the 'carrying it for self defence' that would make it illegal. If you were carrying it as a keyring, or a 'lucky' charm because it was given to you.. though you would be better to carry a metal torch of the same dimensions.. 2 uses and a lot fewer questions..

Exactly! If you happened to be in possession of a torch of said dimensions that you carry for a justifiable reason (work etc) then the fact you had it hand during a confrontation when it was used is defendable.
Keep passing the open windows!
Blackbelt007 Male

Postby aiki-jitsoo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:48 pm | #11

I know of someone who had their keyring kubotan taken by the police as they saw it on his keys. They took it and melted it down. I guess they are illegal.
aiki-jitsoo Male

Postby Goober » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:49 pm | #12

They took it and melted it down

seems unlikely somehow.
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby chuunen baka » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:41 am | #13

From the papers: "Darren Day 'stunned' to find keyring is offensive as he's found guilty of possessing weapon" - Daily Record
chuunen baka None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Mad Dog » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:52 am | #14

He was 'admonished'.. i.e. told off and told not to do it again..

Mad Dog Male
Kyouken

Postby ToffeeApple » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:16 am | #15

Sounds like a typical bullshit prosecution to me.  Like the whole "omg bruce lee evil nunchucks" thing.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Next

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup