opinions of krav maga

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

opinions of krav maga

Postby chris peacock » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:58 pm | #1

i have been told there is an israeli krav maga master coming to a local leisure centre to take a seminar and i have been thinking of going.

whats your opinions of this?
is it worth going and missing my usual ju jitsu class
chris peacock None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: opinions of krav maga

Postby GingerNinja » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:07 pm | #2

is it worth going and missing my usual ju jitsu class

Missing a class for a one off - sure.
GingerNinja

Postby Hirsty » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:42 pm | #3

Krav Maga is a modern MA incorporating several different techniques fom different MAs.  You should go along - it is always good to expose yourself to new stuff, you may find your new interest, a new technique, or at the very least food for thought.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:48 pm | #4

yep.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: opinions of krav maga

Postby Matt NZ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:28 pm | #5

chris peacock wrote:is it worth going and missing my usual ju jitsu class
Absolutly - dude it'll be a shame to miss it!  Let us know how it goes

Peace
Matt NZ None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby chris peacock » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:10 pm | #6

think i will be going to this, seeing as i aint seen any classes about here before

will let you know how it goes
chris peacock None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Matt NZ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:37 pm | #7

This looks awesome!
Matt NZ None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Pocahontas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 pm | #8

There were some really nasty cracking sounds when some of the wrist locks went on!  8O
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
DIET AND EXERCISE BLOG: http://nopain-nojane.blogspot.com/
Pocahontas None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:56 pm | #9

I've never trained in it but I've got two books on it and have done the usual YouTube trawl. From what I've seen and read it seems very simple. Too simple, for my liking, actually. What I mean by that is that it has no "plan B". It only seems to have two techniques: face punch and groin knee. Everything else is geared toward those happening and those being successful.

Near me there's a Kapap class that I really should go and see. That could be interesting.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby BrassMan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:06 pm | #10

People tend to work the same wherever they are from so it will probably be very similar to the various ju jitsus* (jew-jitsu?). It can't hurt to go along and look at the quality of the training and instruction.

*I sometimes hear krav maga being pimped as the new short cut to teh d34dly so be prepared...
"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."
BrassMan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Matt NZ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:53 pm | #11

BrassMan wrote:jew-jitsu
:lol:
Matt NZ None specified

Postby BrassMan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:15 am | #12

Robbed from Bulshido:

Birth of krav maga

To prepare soldiers for combat and to instill a warrior spirit, in the 1980s the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) created a boot-camp-style hand-to-hand program called krav maga (krav means "combat" or "fight," and maga means "touch" or "contact"). Krav maga is a well-rounded hybrid system which encourages students to be aggressive and decisive in conflict. It includes hard-hitting hand and elbow strikes, thai-style knee strikes, low kicks, grappling, knife defense, gun and rifle takeaways, and lots of physical conditioning. The original concept of krav maga was to absorb any martial art that was useful by taking its most effective techniques and teaching them quickly and efficiently.

Krav maga offshoots

In late 1980s krav maga was also being taught to the Israeli public. Since everyone in that society serves in the military, most of the population had been exposed to it anyway. In fact, the name of the art became so common that it was used as loosely in Israel as the word karate is used in America. Variations sprang up everywhere. By the 1990s, everybody was claiming to be a krav maga master or a 10th degree black belt.

Some of the original instructors of krav maga got so fed up with people claiming that their krav maga was the "true-version taught to elite units" that they dropped the term krav maga from their vocabulary altogether. With so many people laying claims to the krav maga system, many veteran instructors felt a need to regulate what was, and was not, pure krav maga. Several organizations stepped up to the plate: the krav maga association, krav maga federation, krav maga union, Israeli krav maga, international krav maga federation, krav maga and so on.

A few years ago, the Wingate Institute, a respected Israeli sports organization, claimed to have the exclusive rights to krav maga for licensing and curriculum purposes. Although it was recently defeated in court, the organization is appealing to the Israeli Supreme Court. Many in the military community are outraged at the Institutes attempt to gain control of the name.

Since the commercialization of krav maga in Israel, there has been a movement away from using these terms altogether.

(Black Belt magazine November 2002)
"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."
BrassMan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Matt NZ » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:22 am | #13

Awesome history to this art (Martial arts history should've been a subject in high school - instead we were offered Art history). From a MA tv series 'Fight Quest', where two Americans travel the world looking at different MA's, they described the history of Krav Magra as "Jew's post WW2 promising that s**t will never happen to them again and invented a cut throat modern system of fighting.  They include the use of pistols and rifles in their sylabus.  

That was a halaaaarious episode - poor guys got destroyed by the locals.
Matt NZ None specified

Postby Gorbash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 pm | #14

Krav maga is a well-rounded hybrid system

The original concept of krav maga was to absorb any martial art that was useful by taking its most effective techniques and teaching them quickly and efficiently.

many veteran instructors felt a need to regulate what was, and was not, pure krav maga

:?
"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought." - BASHO

Master's degree in International Linguistic Forumology by the University of Nazareth On Webforums.
Gorbash None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Matt NZ » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:36 pm | #15

Gorbash wrote: :?

:?  :?
Matt NZ None specified

Next

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup