opinions of krav maga

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Postby nz_ROB » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 pm | #76

nz_ROB

Postby Matt NZ » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 pm | #77

I see your troll good sir - Blue Eyes White Dragon AATTAACK!!!!

Matt NZ None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ronin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 am | #78

cullion wrote:
There's no safe place on the Internet for people who get into angry rants about how awesome kickboxing and a bit of wrestling are for protecting the children when the bullets and bombs start flying. I'll be watching from my  underwater lair, and I promise you I will return!

Again, I have to agree in most part.
Having spent the last 15 years hanging around as a spouse of an Army officer and therefore made a great number of friends in what's affectionately called the "teeth arms" and having trained quite a few military people in Jiu Jitsu (for their enjoyment rather than any military reason) the likelihood of someone using MA skills against an armed opponent is quite remote, although I do know of one incident and he wasn't totally unarmed.  The only time they would normally use any MA skills is in control and arrest techniques and generally they use those in conjunction with a soldier stood next to them pointing a rifle at said person.  This was commonly seen in the Northern Ireland training the army used to do.
Even those in "special forces" generally don't get taught hand to hand combat to any great degree unless it becomes a specific requirement and then it tends to be about a dozen specific techniques.  
In fact to be honest, when I started Jiu Jitsu one of the two signs that your instructor was a nutter/liar was if he claimed he a) was taught by Bruce Lee and/or b) he trained the special forces.  In fact if you took the two claims and did the simple maths, you'd realise that a) Bruce Lee taught well over a billion people and b) the Special Forces have well over a thousand instructors just in the midlands!!!
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Ronin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 am | #79

Ronin wrote:Again, I have to agree in most part...
I don't think anyone would seriously disagree, Ronin. I just think Cullion got totally the wrong end of the stick and then had to rapidly defend himself of his own incompetence by calling me a "jujitsu nerd"  :lol:  Not a name anyone that knows me would actually use, but, hey, not really relevant on Cullion's planet  8)

Ronin wrote:In fact to be honest, when I started Jiu Jitsu one of the two signs that your instructor was a nutter/liar was if he claimed he a) was taught by Bruce Lee and/or b) he trained the special forces.  In fact if you took the two claims and did the simple maths, you'd realise that a) Bruce Lee taught well over a billion people and b) the Special Forces have well over a thousand instructors just in the midlands!!!
You forgot to mention those hundreds of Instructors that were in "the Para's"  :o:
nz_ROB

Postby cullion » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:28 pm | #80

I don't think anyone would seriously disagree, Ronin. I just think Cullion got totally the wrong end of the stick and then had to rapidly defend himself of his own incompetence by calling me a "jujitsu nerd"  :lol:  Not a name anyone that knows me would actually use, but, hey, not really relevant on Cullion's planet  8)

Oh you're definitely a nerd. Best to just learn to accept it. And write more clearly. I'm one of the most intelligent people who ever shows up on PJ, so if you can't make your meaning clear to me, you know you're doing something wrong.
Last edited by cullion on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Captaintau is the most handsome, most charming, funniest and most talented Martial Artist I've ever had the pleasure of encountering on this forum".
cullion None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ronin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:35 pm | #81

cullion wrote:
Ronin wrote:I don't think anyone would seriously disagree, Ronin. I just think Cullion got totally the wrong end of the stick and then had to rapidly defend himself of his own incompetence by calling me a "jujitsu nerd"  :lol:  Not a name anyone that knows me would actually use, but, hey, not really relevant on Cullion's planet  8)

Oh you're definitely a nerd. Best to just learn to accept it. And write more clearly. I'm one of the most intelligent people who ever shows up on PJ, so if you can't make your meaning clear to me, you know you're doing something wrong.

You're not that bright, you've quoted me and I clearly didn't say that, unless I've started talking to myself again :-)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Ronin None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:38 pm | #82

Why did you edit your post to make it look like I'd made a mistake? That's not big, and it's not clever.
"Captaintau is the most handsome, most charming, funniest and most talented Martial Artist I've ever had the pleasure of encountering on this forum".
cullion None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ronin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:41 pm | #83

Very amusing!  To be honest the not big and not clever thing would be the fact that I'd have no idea how to do that!
Ronin None specified

Postby cullion » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:45 pm | #84

Don't play the innocent with me.
cullion None specified

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:23 pm | #85

Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Postby cullion » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:24 pm | #86

that's not the word's only meaning you know.
cullion None specified

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Sat May 01, 2010 12:10 am | #87

testicle!   :lol:
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Postby cullion » Sat May 01, 2010 2:27 am | #88

You are sharp. I guess this means I can leave it to you to clean up the remaining stupid in this thread. I'm busy, and there are a lot of people on the Internet who all need my help with their 'thinking' at any given time, you see.
cullion None specified

Postby Mr.Tibbs » Tue May 04, 2010 12:55 pm | #89

captaintau wrote:My question now is what does KM have that other MAs (particularly Kempo) don't (aside from firearm disarms)?

It has nothing that other MAs don`t  have but by  leaving quite a lot out(i.e overcomplicated and flowery techniques) it is better suited to real self defence !
Mr.Tibbs None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re:

Postby rne02 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:15 am | #90

Mr.Tibbs wrote:It has nothing that other MAs don`t  have but by  leaving quite a lot out(i.e overcomplicated and flowery techniques) it is better suited to real self defence !

Increasingly I am reaching the same conclusion.

Couple of years a go I bought a Complete Krav Maga from Water stones.  When I first read I found it interesting and thought that a couple of the techniques had merit, but I would stick to what I was doing.

Now that I have reached the higher Kyu grades I am training faster/harder attacks and am finding the techniques our style trains to be over complicated.  Krav Maga (and other styles of Jitsu have defence which are simpler to learn and more brutal, which makes them easier to pull of and more effective IMO.

Re reading my KM book the vast majority of it, now that I have a better understanding, seems a better option.

Not all of it of course, so of the stuff is ridiculous, but all styles have there good and bad points. , but I think combining the two I will be able to build a stable of techniques which will work for me.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PreviousNext

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup