boxing

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

boxing

Postby harishna » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:49 am | #1

How would i start a backyard boxing league and how would i pay the fighters? It would be safe. They would have head gear and boxing gloves. Of course, no low blows, They would have protective cups.
harishna None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: boxing

Postby ToffeeApple » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:43 am | #2

Glad to hear that they'll be wearing groin protection - you had me worried there for a sec!

You have to be careful though as lots of people can't be bothered to carry their box around with them.  Consider having a few of your own to cover this and make sure they are washed between every contest.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:48 am | #3

Extra strength lager.  I'm quite partial to Lynx, but Tennants & Carlsberg Special Brew are also popular obtainable alternatives.
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KroSha » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:20 pm | #4

Pay them out of the gate. Winner gets 1/3, loser gets 1/4, you keep the rest.
"Fool, haven't you realised yet? There is nothing that can't be beaten in, or out of you." - UKR
"A warrior's greatest weapons are mental and physical agility, coupled with adaptibility."
It comes in pints?!?
KroSha Male
Hobbit Hardcase

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Goober » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:47 pm | #5

Isn't unlicensed backyard boxing for money illegal?
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KroSha » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:52 pm | #6

Yup.
"Fool, haven't you realised yet? There is nothing that can't be beaten in, or out of you." - UKR
"A warrior's greatest weapons are mental and physical agility, coupled with adaptibility."
It comes in pints?!?
KroSha Male
Hobbit Hardcase

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby PointyShinyBurning » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:11 pm | #7

KroSha wrote:Yup.
No, actually. Though it could easily be so unsafe as to get you sued for negligence should someone be hurt.
PointyShinyBurning None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:42 pm | #8

I think the illegalities are to do with tax, whether you may hold events in the area, etc.  I don't think fighting itself is illegal like it used to be.
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Postby PointyShinyBurning » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:23 pm | #9

ToffeeApple wrote:I think the illegalities are to do with tax, whether you may hold events in the area, etc.  I don't think fighting itself is illegal like it used to be.
An un-gloved punch is assault in English law. There is no legal regulation of gloved boxing other than not doing anything so negligent you get convicted of manslaughter. It's been that way more or less forever. The BBBofC is Sport England recognised, but it doesn't have any particular legal standing, it's just the dominant sanctioning body.

Frank Warren, for example, got his start promoting unlicensed boxing.
PointyShinyBurning None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup