Tomiki aikido

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Tomiki aikido

Postby jitsukat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:29 pm | #1

I think there are a couple of people here that practice tomiki aikido.

Please could you tell me a bit about it, and how it is similar to or different from other aikido styles?  (I have done a couple of years of a fairly soft aikido style.)

Also, does anyone know anything about the Rotherhithe club in particular?
The rose is the freedom of the rose tree
jitsukat None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Tomiki aikido

Postby Blackbelt007 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:07 pm | #2

I train tomiki in Norfolk and the main difference as seen by others is that tomiki is the 'sport style' which generally is true in that you will do randori more similar to judo. Without getting to preachy the history is Kenji Tomiki was a senior student of Kano at the Kodokan and was sent to check out the new guy (ueshiba) and liked it so much he amalgamated the two being the first guy to 8th dan in both he stuck it all together and pissed off ueshiba in the process. My Aiki sensei doesn't like the sport side but likes the fact you try out your techniques (when high enough level) against a person trying to do the same to you (randori). It all depends on your sensei really.

If the Rotherhithe club is the one I think it is then it's Tony Evangelou (spelling??) and my sensei speaks very highly of him so could be a winner. Best thing is to get on the mat and have a crack!
Keep passing the open windows!
Blackbelt007 Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby captaintau » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 pm | #3

Tomiki is generally regarded as the black sheep of the Aikido family. I Aside from seminars I've never done it but I've read and seen enough as to know that I don't want to try it.

Aikido is all about harmony. Competition is anti-harmony.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jitsonic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:46 pm | #4

That depends on your definition of harmony.

Two people trying to better their skill sets and abilities through the media of resistance and competition against each other seems pretty harmonious to me.  But that's me!
Jitsonic

Postby Blackbelt007 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:02 am | #5

As mentioned above,  we don't compete but we do use randori. Aiki randori you are looking for that moment where your opponent is unwittingly harmonising with your technique! Very cunning!
Blackbelt007 Male

Postby captaintau » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:26 am | #6

Jitsonic wrote:That depends on your definition of harmony.

Two people trying to better their skill sets and abilities through the media of resistance and competition against each other seems pretty harmonious to me.  But that's me!

To me, that's anti-harmonious.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Postby jitsukat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:49 pm | #7

So what do you actually do at a typical class?
The rose is the freedom of the rose tree
jitsukat None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Blackbelt007 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:38 am | #8

Kata, Basics and randori, Randori can be the way mentioned above where both go at it, sometimes it can be more traditional (for want of a better word) in that one attacks and one defends, sometimes two on one, three on one etc and sometimes with knives/jo/bokken.
Blackbelt007 Male

Postby BrassMan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 pm | #9

I'm having trouble visualising aikido sparring. This is youtube's top result, is this the sort of thing you mean?

"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."
BrassMan None specified

Postby scruffy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:06 pm | #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM_u-cCSPoA

this is  a 'randoori compertition'   at the 2007 world games in 2007, i know both players in the match, and both are very nice too!! plus i am lottering in the background (left of screen in red top taking pix)

I like tomiki aikido, purely for the randoori element, i like being able to go up against others to see if my techinques (and theirs) work at a fast pace, as attackers in the street are not going to slow their punches down for you.

I have tried other MA, thou not many other aikidos out there, but i am willing to try them and not just read up on them and watch videos on you tube.
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby BrassMan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:27 am | #11

scruffy wrote:I have tried other MA, though not many other aikidos out there, but I am willing to try them, not just read up on them and watch videos on you tube.

There's no need to be like that, young lady. If I were to be judgemental, there would be no doubt and then you would have justification for being snippy.
"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."
BrassMan None specified

Postby Genghis » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 am | #12

scruffy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM_u-cCSPoA

this is  a 'randoori compertition'   at the 2007 world games in 2007, i know both players in the match, and both are very nice too!! plus i am lottering in the background (left of screen in red top taking pix)

I like tomiki aikido, purely for the randoori element, i like being able to go up against others to see if my techinques (and theirs) work at a fast pace, as attackers in the street are not going to slow their punches down for you.

I have tried other MA, thou not many other aikidos out there, but i am willing to try them and not just read up on them and watch videos on you tube.

But it's not very good is it.  Poor guard, poor holding of the "knife", extended knife, allowing it to go to close "force on force" grappling around the weapon, failure to use feet constructively, few attempts to move behind the weapon holder, little constructive use of atemi, stopping what presumably is supposed to be a sharp weapon with the fleshy forearm, numerous missed open opportunities for reaping throws and hip throws.  If this is world class in the art, then I can't honestly say I'd choose to train in it.

G
Last edited by Genghis on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby scruffy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:56 am | #13

G, have you ever done tomiki aikido?

im not being a meanie, im just curious as to whether the people who are willing to critise have ever tried tomiki aikido
living in the garden of savage for all eternity

eternal TJF :green:
Psalm 30:5 - 'weeping may last the night, but joy will come by morning'
scruffy Female

Postby Genghis » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:14 pm | #14

No.  I trained for a year in Aikikai, and have done several full-day seminars in Yoshinkan Aikido and SCI Aikido, but haven't trained in Tomiki.

My observations were purely upon the quality of what I saw in that video.  It is interesting to read the comments on youtube, including from both of the participants, who obviously are very defensive of what they do and fair enough, I'd expect them to be.  This is just my opinion of what I'm seeing in that video only - where I also saw very little classical aikido technique which I'm sure exists in Tomiki.

For example, from most of those over-extended knife attacks, a step behind from a back of hand deflection, into ikkyo, is good technique, and good classical aikido and I'm sure must sit in the Tomiki syllabus somewhere.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby Blackbelt007 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:43 pm | #15

THe vid shows sport aikido, which is what most people assume from Tomiki as the system advocates randori. But you have to remember the use of randori can be good and bad. Look at judo, some of the crappy throws getting ippon at olympic level and so many judoka unaware that their 'sport' is actually a martial art with atemi and kata all being part of it. In my tomiki dojo we do randori but not for winning medals etc but to sharpen up your moves, like judo randori you can play it light and take a hit/throw and just get up and get on and you can ramp it up and get messy. More benefit I feel can be gained from doing it slower but to test yourself you cant beat ramping it up but it can look crappy.
Blackbelt007 Male

Next

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup