Kendo

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Kendo

Postby groundfighter » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 pm | #1

I went along to my first Kendo session the other day. I don't know what to make of it to be honest. Lots of kiai, lots of strange warm-ups. I don't know whether I like it or not.

Anyone else tried Kendo??
唵 阿謨伽 尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉 麽抳 鉢納麽 入嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野 吽
groundfighter None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Kendo

Postby captaintau » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:08 pm | #2

No, but I'd love to.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:45 am | #3

Tried it a couple of decades ago - was interesting - but not really my cup of tea these days  :-)
nz_ROB

Postby thauma » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 pm | #4

Around 15 year ago I went to view a session with SWMBO with a view to it being something that we could do together.

She wasn't impressed and described it as like ' a bunch of manic morris-men'.

I understood / appreciated a bit more than that, but decided that iaido would be better for me (personal opinion). However I took up jitsu, and still haven't done anymore about iaido :-( due to lack of time

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby groundfighter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:11 am | #5

thauma wrote:Around 15 year ago I went to view a session with SWMBO with a view to it being something that we could do together.

I understood / appreciated a bit more than that, but decided that iaido would be better for me (personal opinion). However I took up jitsu, and still haven't done anymore about iaido :-( due to lack of time

Pretty much what I was trying to articulate!  :headbang:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:52 am | #6

I know the topic is 'kendo', but I have no real experience with it.  If swords are something that interests you however, all my experience with the western stuff has been positive.  Practical.  Normal (ish).
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Gorbash » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:26 pm | #7

groundfighter wrote:
thauma wrote:Around 15 year ago I went to view a session with SWMBO with a view to it being something that we could do together.

interesting.. i never knew morris dancing had a competitive format where you try to score points by hitting each other.
No offense but i think the description reveals more about the person making it than the activity
Last edited by Gorbash on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought." - BASHO

Master's degree in International Linguistic Forumology by the University of Nazareth On Webforums.
Gorbash None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Goober » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm | #8

Gorbash wrote:
interesting.. i never knew morris dancing had a competitive format where you try to score points by hitting each other.
No offense but i think the description reveals more about the person making it than the activity

Ah!

You've obviously never done any real Morris Dancing then!
Define irony -
People paying hundreds of pounds a year to get punched in the face, shouted at, thrown to the floor and have their joints locked up, in order to learn how to not get mugged.
Goober None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby BrassMan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:52 pm | #9

The one with the black handkerchiefs and silent bells?
"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."
BrassMan None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby thauma » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:45 pm | #10

look out for the morris men with the coshes and swords......

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_dance)

"A morris dance is a form of English folk dance usually accompanied by music. It is based on rhythmic stepping and the execution of choreographed figures by a group of dancers. Implements such as sticks, swords, handkerchiefs and bells may also be wielded by the dancers. In a small number of dances for one or two men, steps are performed near and across a pair of clay tobacco pipes laid across each other on the floor."

Oh and SWMBO has a pretty good grounding in MA as she trained alongside me for a number of years, and has some understanding of the concepts. Admittedly though neither of us has any clue as to how morris men are judged in their competitions, could be by biggest hat, best clogs or even by first strike :-)

When your enemy comes
            - welcome him.
When he goes
            - send him on his way

http://winchester-jitsu.kicks-ass.net
thauma None specified

Postby ollytree » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:51 pm | #11

:afro: TERRY PRATCHITT says there's a DARK MORRIS  as well as more well known LIGHT MORRIS  maybe this is what your thinking of  :P
IT'S NOT FU?KIN BALLET !  but it should be .
ollytree Male

Postby groundfighter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:45 pm | #12

Gorbash wrote:
groundfighter wrote:

Fair enough. I didn't like it, I thought it was rubbish and I've got more than enough right to say that IMO. I'm sure it's other peoples bag but it's not mine.  8)

Postby Gorbash » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:57 pm | #13

groundfighter wrote:Fair enough. I didn't like it, I thought it was rubbish and I've got more than enough right to say that IMO. I'm sure it's other peoples bag but it's not mine.  8)

Fair enough, i respect your opinion that kendo is rubbish for you and doesn't fit in with what you are looking for as you seem already established in your training, however if i was to look for information regarding kendo i would guess from your experience in Kendo that you would certainly not be an authority in this area
"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought." - BASHO

Master's degree in International Linguistic Forumology by the University of Nazareth On Webforums.
Gorbash None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup