karate training

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

karate training

Postby bowfiya » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:40 am | #1

Would you prefer 10 yrs of training from a Karate Master or a Kung Fu Master ? 10 years of intense but rewarding training, that will improve your agility, balance, strength, endurance, concentration, decision-making, and overall hand-2-hand combat skills.
bowfiya None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: karate training

Postby JitsuJin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:48 am | #2

Training from a Master in either would be beneficial no doubt, however the depth and breadth of possible kung fu styles would definately swing it for me. Internal all the way.
JitsuJin Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JitsuJin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:55 am | #3

That said, 10 years really isn't anything at all with internal styles... now 30 on the other hand :)
JitsuJin Male

Postby Genghis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:48 pm | #4

How long is a piece of string.

There are styles of Karate that I could learn  a great deal from (Kenpo and Go Jo Ryu for example) and those (Shotokan !) that impress me not in the slightest.

Similarly, there are so many different Kung Fu styles, that you really can't just bracket them all together.

Given time and opportunity, there are Karate and Kung Fu styles I'd dearly love to spend years learning.  Some styles of both, frankly are of far less value to me than going for a stroll and stopping in the pub for a pint, which is how I would elect instead to spend my time.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:41 pm | #5

Nice sig OP.

JitsuJin wrote:That said, 10 years really isn't anything at all with internal styles... now 30 on the other hand :)

I would question what your goals were though.  What would you be trying to get better at?

As to the original question, I would say karate, though as Genghis' comment is absolutely accurate.  My only experience with Goju Ryu based schools is through a former training partner.  He was very susceptable to being kicked in the legs.  I understand that back in Hong Kong they have a bit of a hardman approach, and he was no stranger to being taken out by them there too.  My own experience with shotokan* was fairly positive, and I love the way that karate stylists in other sports move.  I would not be interested in kykushin tbh.  I dislike the rythm and would rather just be kickboxing**.

My old kickboxing coach is actually a kung fu guy.  He had an enlightened approach, (i.e. he had a sports degree and had a better idea of distance & timing than most jiujitsu people I've met) could teach and understood what was going on in a fight.  Meeting him, and a training partner & tai chi teacher with an interest in it's application as a martial art did not make me any more awed by the mystical powers of kung fu.

*I would like to spend more time on the low, quick stepping stuff I've seen in shotokan, but would only ever be looking to work on improving my movement for fighting.

The demolition man was the favourite, but the amount of talk about how it would be a big upset...
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup