London School of Systema

Systema

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

London School of Systema

Postby nao » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:25 pm | #1

Any of you trained at the London School of Systema? Heard some good and some not so good stuff about it. Quite keen to give it a go and was wondering what to expect.
nao None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: London School of Systema

Postby Aegis » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:49 am | #2

I haven't, so take the following with a large pinch of salt.

Systema to me strikes mje as extremely dangerous to train in if you've never done any form of self defence training before.  The reason for this is that there are a lot of very dodgy looking principles backing this art (watch some of their knife defence videos on youtube and you'll see numerous demonstrations where the weapon arm isn't engaged at all or where the knife is deflected by simply wrigling the body or arm in its general direction), principles which could easily get you killed if you buy into them and only ever train in a compliant manner.

The fact that so many of their demonstrations appear to be nothing but gimmicks really doesn't inspire me to try this martial art out.

That said, I'm sure there are instructors out there who take it seriously.  I just don't like what I've seen of it to date.
Aegis Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: London School of Systema

Postby Urban Fisherman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm | #3

Nao, what particularly interests you about Systema?
"We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than that only freedom can make security secure." Karl Popper
Urban Fisherman None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup