Martial Diversity

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Martial Diversity

Postby JitsuJin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:43 pm | #1

Hey everyone,

I've a grading coming up soon and toyed with the idea of training in another art the day before, partially for cardio, partially insanity. Anyway on this particular day there were at least 10 clubs I could have gone to in my small town. Three karate (2 of one style, 1 of another), and two wing chun schools, a muay thai gym, mma, a Taekwondo club, a boxing gym (I think), BJJ, and another jujitsu club within my organisation if I felt like doing that. I've always felt the diversity of martial arts in my town was pretty good, but on this particular day its pretty impressive. The "complete" list of martial arts available here includes:

Aikido
Jujitsu
BJJ
Bujinkan (school, so covering the typical booj stuff like taijutsu)
Capoeira
Escrima
Judo
Shotokan (a few different associations)
Wado Ryu
Tien Shan Pai (wushu)
Shaio Jiao
Tai Chi
Taekwondo (a few different associations)
Tang Soo Do
Wing Chun (a few different associations)
Muay Thai (a few different associations)
Kick Boxing (a few different associations)
Boxing
Silat
Kixxa

Those are all the ones I'm aware of. What are the options like in your town or city and how do you feel this impacts on where you live? Strangely hardly anyone where I live knows just how extensive the options are for studying a martial art in our town.
JitsuJin Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Martial Diversity

Postby nz_ROB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 am | #2

In little old sleepy Wanganui we have :

Spirit Combat Jujitsu
Warriors Eskrima  (with a little Sayoc Kali, ha ha ha)
Judo (Kawaishi)
Small Circle Jujitsu
Boxing
Kickboxing
Thai Boxing
Shotokan Karate
Kyukoshin Karate
Zen Do Kai
Kung Fu (Nam Pai Chuan)
Taekwondo
Capoeira
Fencing

There are also people that train in "BJJ" and "MMA" although I have no idea of their credentials and training regimes and am reserving judgement on that one.

We also used to have (since closed down) :

Wado Ryu Karate
Aikido
Sumo
Doce Pares Eskrima

That's all I know of although there may be other groups active in other styles
nz_ROB

Postby captaintau » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 am | #3

In the town in which I live, which is a small market town, we have
- a very successful boxing club
- Spirit Combat (my former Sensei. A small and struggling club)
- A small and almost private MMA class
- A small and almost private Wing Chun class

Travel 20 miles in any direction (which i have to) and options increase massively to include
- Spirit Combat (me, with everything I add to it)
- Shedloads of Taekwondo
- At least two Eskrima
- Ninjitsu now
- Several Karate Styles
- Hapkido
- Wing Chun Dynamics
- Aikido
- Judo
- A style derived from Lau Gar
- Lau Gar
- Several Kickboxing clubs
- Iaido
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:47 am | #4

In my neck of the woods, that I know about:

- Kempo Jiu Jitsu
- Jukishin JuJitsu
- Shotokan Karate
- Kenpo Karate
- Shotokan Karate
- Lots of Judo
- Medieval European Fencing
- Korean line dancing
- Combat Academy (a sort of merger of trad JJ and modern Kickboxing, and crap at both)
- Aikikai Aikido

I'm sure there are Chinese and Philipino styles lurking somewhere as well that I've just noticed.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:44 pm | #5

From what I've so far found:

Boxing
Ju Jitsu (heavily based on WJJF)
Karate (2 styles)
Tai Chi
MMA (but impossible to contact anyone in regards to this club)
Judo (kids only)

That's it.  After living in Edinburgh and not being able to move for different styles it is rather disappointing.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JitsuJin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:03 am | #6

Wow, with the exception of Hirsty's town/city, there seems to be a good offering of martial arts clubs around. Funnily while researching I found that one of the wing chun schools is now within 5 minutes from my house walking, so I'll be going back to wing chun in addition to my jujitsu this week. Tomorrow I may also take a look at Aikido. It would be stupid not to at £2 a session with a 6th Dan instructor. Also, today I learned we have kapitiran arnis as well... some kind of malaysian (I think) stick fighting.
JitsuJin Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 pm | #7

Kapatiran Arnis has its origins in the Phillipines not Malaysia. It was founded by Guro John Harvey - a very very well respected Eskrimador - ten odd years ago. Well worth a look.
nz_ROB

Postby JitsuJin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38 am | #8

We do the occasional bit of stick work at our club, though I've not considered taking anything stick fighting related. I'll probably take a look though if it's as noteworthy as you say
JitsuJin Male

Postby nz_ROB » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:20 am | #9

The Founder is well respected .. from the Bob Breen school of long ago  :-)   the club itself? well the only way to find out if it has any value for you is to go once or thrice .. personally I found Eskrima a very good compliment to my jujitsu. Some find Wing Chun a good compliment to Eskrima. Swings and roundabouts  :-)  Find what is a good feel for YOU  :-)
nz_ROB

Postby JitsuJin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:21 am | #10

nz_ROB wrote:The Founder is well respected .. from the Bob Breen school of long ago  :-)   the club itself? well the only way to find out if it has any value for you is to go once or thrice .. personally I found Eskrima a very good compliment to my jujitsu. Some find Wing Chun a good compliment to Eskrima. Swings and roundabouts  :-)  Find what is a good feel for YOU  :-)

Oh, now this is intriguing. As it happens the very best jujitsuka I know, one of the Senseis in our organisation, also does a bit of Eskrima and says its very beneficial to his jujitsu. For whatever reason I don't think I paid much attention to it at the time. As for wing chun, I'm going to be training in that again shortly. It's been far too long and I miss it. Comments taken onboard, I'll take a closer look at the advertisement when I'm next at the venue :)
JitsuJin Male

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:28 pm | #11

Kixxa. A martial art!  :lol:  :o:  :lol:  :o:  :mrgreen:
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me
Fluffy_the_happy_lobster None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JitsuJin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:36 am | #12

Fluffy_the_happy_lobster wrote:Kixxa. A martial art!  :lol:  :o:  :lol:  :o:  :mrgreen:

Apparantly so... I think its these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEC0rqfDRzI

Not massively appealing but it looks like they do more than march up and down a hall punching and kicking the air (like the wado club). Not that that means much.
JitsuJin Male

Postby Hirsty » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:28 pm | #13

My favourite part is 55 seconds in where she says "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:31 pm | #14

I've seen them. The do stuff like teaching women, in all women classes, how to take a punch. Because that is sensible. Well, it could be, if it was a proper attack. Having seen the demos I'd accept a description of an exercise class, or Morris dancing, but martial art? I may as well say I teach fencing.

Martial arts, self defence and jiu jitsu in Bedford and Huntingdon - www.jitsu.me

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fluffy_the_happy_lobster » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:34 pm | #15

And now I've just seen the video. That is them. Ye gods. At least smack them in the head...

Next

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup