Wing Chun Night!

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Wing Chun Night!

Postby Hirsty » Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 pm | #16

At the same time you should listen to your body and try to tell the difference between the pain of fatigue and the pain that is indicating that you have or are about to have an injury.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby dojojojo » Sun May 13, 2012 11:15 pm | #17

sometimes, though very difficult to see into the future and see an upcoming injury, i'd say the pain of fatigue affects the muscle groups being worked first as opposed to the back of the wrists. This is where the coaches experience comes into play, when observing a class, especially where the students are familiar to the coach, the difference between honest fatigue and a wee whinge is easy to see. Though i'm sure when pushed you would go the extra mile!
dojojojo None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Sun May 13, 2012 11:27 pm | #18

My legs hurt for over a week last time I started back jogging.  Should I never break into a jog again?  My wrists bend much further palms in, than palms out.  If I do pushups palms in, I make sure the weight is not on the knuckle end of my hand, but the wrist end.  Not something I do on a regular basis though.  Jackie Chan doesn't do them all that often in his movies these days.
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Hirsty » Mon May 14, 2012 1:14 am | #19

If your legs hurt after a run that is most likely due to not stretching off at the end, trust me, after 5 marathons it is something you do not forget to do.  

The pain in my wrists was something very different than that of sore legs after a run.

As not all MA coaches are qualified I feel it is our obligation to ensure that we only train in a manner which we feel is safe.  For example, if you are being told to do ballistic stretching which can cause serious injury you should refuse to do it.

Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Mon May 14, 2012 11:29 am | #20

Far far too many instructors (martial arts and other things) do not properly warm down at the end of a session.

It's a reasonable indicator of a mediocre coach in any form of exercise.

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Postby nry » Mon May 14, 2012 11:58 am | #21

We don't do any warm ups nor any warm downs...curious that I've never yet had any pain or suffering after a session aside from bumps/bruises.  Saying that, unless training includes lots of lactic acid build up, I'm unsure if there is any point in a warm down as I thought this was why you warmed down, to allow the acid to be dispersed.

This pain is different from the delayed onset muscle fatigue stuff which you get from over/heavy use of muscle groups which don't get used often, I'm not sure you can really avoid that beyond using those muscles more often.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby PointyShinyBurning » Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 pm | #22

Genghis wrote:Far far too many instructors (martial arts and other things) do not properly warm down at the end of a session.

It's a reasonable indicator of a mediocre coach in any form of exercise.

What is it that you think warming down achieves?
PointyShinyBurning None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nz_ROB » Tue May 15, 2012 3:23 am | #23

PointyShinyBurning wrote:What is it that you think warming down achieves?

aid in the dissipation of waste products - including lactic acid,
    reduce the potential for DOMS,
    reduce the chances of dizziness or fainting caused by the pooling of venous blood at the extremities,
    reduce the level of adrenaline in the blood,
    allows the heart rate to return to its resting rate

I am sure with the never-ending change in medical research this list will be different by next year  :bang:
nz_ROB

Postby PointyShinyBurning » Tue May 15, 2012 10:12 am | #24

http://ajp.physiotherapy.asn.au/AJP/vol ... 3i2Law.pdf

The heart will return to its resting rate by itself, lactic acid buildup is not the cause of muscle soreness and I have no idea why blood would pool in your extremities while you're alive...

Why can't you just let your body return to its resting state by itself? If you like to cool down for whatever reason that's fine, but don't pretend it's a medical necessity.

I don't think this is a question of new research contradicting old because I don't think there ever was any good research that suggested you have to cool down. It's the product of wacky 19th Century ideas about how the heart works.

Postby captaintau » Tue May 15, 2012 3:27 pm | #25

PointyShinyBurning wrote: I have no idea why blood would pool in your extremities while you're alive...

Poor venous return, atrophied (or absent) gastrocnemus, cardiac failure, morbid obesity. Not normally issues for Martial Artists, common amongst my patients. It's an answer to the question though.
captaintau Male
Genre Definer

Postby PointyShinyBurning » Tue May 15, 2012 4:01 pm | #26

captaintau wrote:
PointyShinyBurning wrote: I have no idea why blood would pool in your extremities while you're alive...

Poor venous return, atrophied (or absent) gastrocnemus, cardiac failure, morbid obesity. Not normally issues for Martial Artists, common amongst my patients. It's an answer to the question though.

Fair point, amend my objection to "if blood is pooling in your extremities then optimising your athletic performance is the least of your problems".

Postby Hirsty » Tue May 15, 2012 7:33 pm | #27

Do any of you stretch off at the end?

Hirsty Male

Postby nz_ROB » Tue May 15, 2012 9:13 pm | #28

Hirsty wrote:Do any of you stretch off at the end?
Is that a euphemism???  8O  8O     :lol:  :lol:
nz_ROB

Previous

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup