Wing Chun Night!

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

Wing Chun Night!

Postby JitsuJin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 pm | #1

So I went to my first wing chun session in about 10 years tonight, at another club run by one of the first students of my previous instructor.

Oh no..

If you've ever seen Kill Bill vol 2, it was old school like Pai Mei (white haired sifu). I've never done anything so physically demanding in my entire life. At various points I actually considered giving up. It was harder than any grading I've ever done, and causes me to laugh in nervous hysterics when I think about the training at the other clubs, and then rock back and forth cuddling myself. At one point we were doing sets of 20 pushups where each one had to be a little hop. Why? Because we had to switch between palms, fingertips, backs of hands, and fists. I've no doubt I'll be in ridiculous shape (or dead) if I continue this. Also interesting was the fact that this wing chun is blended with chi na, so its kind of like wing chun with jujitsu. I have things to do but I hurt so I'm going to bed. Hopefully I can train at my main jujitsu club tomorrow, but my body was really pushed tonight.
JitsuJin Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Wing Chun Night!

Postby JitsuJin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 am | #2

I did however get to pressure test my jujitsu. Our lack of propper groundwork made itself noticed, but I triumphed based on experience. Also, I managed to get a submission with a flying armbar that I "learned" from youtube. The applause was indeed warranted :D
JitsuJin Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Sat May 12, 2012 10:51 am | #3

If you're losing to people using Wing Chun & Chin Na, on the ground, then your jitsu groundwork is indeed in trouble.
"Captaintau is the most handsome, most charming, funniest and most talented Martial Artist I've ever had the pleasure of encountering on this forum".
cullion None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ToffeeApple » Sat May 12, 2012 7:23 pm | #4

cullion wrote:If you're losing to people using Wing Chun & Chin Na, on the ground, then your jitsu groundwork is indeed in trouble.

Surely they've had many lifetimes to practice their groundwork, no?
Postmodernism has a lot going for it on the internet.  Â¿Por qué no te callas?
ToffeeApple Male
Citizen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JitsuJin » Sat May 12, 2012 9:42 pm | #5

cullion wrote:If you're losing to people using Wing Chun & Chin Na, on the ground, then your jitsu groundwork is indeed in trouble.

Agreed. There's no ground work in our jujitsu syllabus, and what we are taught seems to be vague at best.

*Edit*

Actually there is some ground work on our syllabus, but more from a self defence view as opposed to grappling per se.
Last edited by JitsuJin on Sat May 12, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JitsuJin Male

Postby Hirsty » Sun May 13, 2012 9:49 am | #6

I'd be a bit concerned by the push-ups you were made to do, especially the back of the hands one.  You could seriously damage your wrists.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Sun May 13, 2012 10:13 am | #7

JitsuJin wrote:Actually there is some ground work on our syllabus, but more from a self defence view as opposed to grappling per se.

Danger, danger Will Robinson.
"Captaintau is the most handsome, most charming, funniest and most talented Martial Artist I've ever had the pleasure of encountering on this forum".
cullion None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Sun May 13, 2012 10:15 am | #8

Hirsty wrote:I'd be a bit concerned by the push-ups you were made to do, especially the back of the hands one.  You could seriously damage your wrists.

These are fairly common in Chinese Martial Arts, and I've also seen back of the wrist pushups done in Muay Thai. They hurt, but I've not heard of them causing injury.
cullion None specified

Postby Hirsty » Sun May 13, 2012 5:42 pm | #9

From my own experience I attempted a few of them only to end up with excruciating pain in my wrists.  If any instructor has asked me to do it since I've politely refused.

Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby cullion » Sun May 13, 2012 8:30 pm | #10

Hirsty wrote:From my own experience I attempted a few of them only to end up with excruciating pain in my wrists.  If any instructor has asked me to do it since I've politely refused.

Are we talking about the variant where the backs of our hands are on the floor, and the hands held flat and straight, so we're looking at our own palms as we do the pushups ?
cullion None specified

Postby Hirsty » Sun May 13, 2012 9:22 pm | #11

That is what I'm referring to.

Hirsty Male

Postby cullion » Sun May 13, 2012 9:29 pm | #12

Hirsty wrote:That is what I'm referring to.

Did you get the pain in both wrists, and how long did it last after you stopped doing the pushups?
cullion None specified

Postby Hirsty » Sun May 13, 2012 10:41 pm | #13

It was pain in both wrist and lasted at least half a week.  I asked a physio friend today if she knew anything about the benefits/dangers behind this style of push-up but she couldn't find any data.  It was her personal opinion that it may be due to me being rather un-supple but she also pointed out that she wouldn't risk it as their are better ways of doing push-up and better ways of strenghtening your wrists.

Hirsty Male

Postby cullion » Sun May 13, 2012 10:48 pm | #14

Both wrists hurting for days afterwards is something I've never heard of before. You're right not to do them.
cullion None specified

Postby dojojojo » Sun May 13, 2012 11:00 pm | #15

Like all things it just takes practice. The more you do it the easier it gets, If we just give up when something hurts at first rather than push through and overcome we'd never achieve anything. There are better excersises to strengthen the wrists, and lots of ways to do press ups, but these are still an applicable form.
dojojojo None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Next

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup