European knife disarms

There is life beyond Jiu Jitsu, we just don't like to talk about it too much

Moderator: Moderators

European knife disarms

Postby Genghis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:56 pm | #1

Sadly not described what techniques he used, but a nice write-up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... orker.html

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

http://www.buckskempo.org.uk/
Genghis None specified

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: European knife disarms

Postby Hirsty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 pm | #2

Interesting that he had a second knife too
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Scotland's First Member of the British Kempo Society!
Hirsty Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:34 am | #3

An interesting and valid point, worth bearing in mind when training knife defences!

G
Wrestle well, skillfully wield spear, sword, and dagger in a manly way.  Strike true and hard and rush in - those who understand this will despise the one who defends.  (Sigmund Ringeck, C15)

Genghis None specified

Postby nry » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 am | #4

It states that he grabbed the attackers hand, pinned him to the counter then wrenched the knife from his hand...a second knife was drawn and the attacker ended up pinned to the floor.  I'm curious if they had counters back in the day :)
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:57 pm | #5

I'm pretty certain that they had pubs!  Pubs had bars and fights.  :mrgreen:

G

Genghis None specified

Postby Jitsonic » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:04 pm | #6

I'm a little surprised the guy didn't kill him during the disarm to be honest. To have one knife pulled on you is bad enough, but two?
As Genghis said it's a very important question to add to the 'what if?' pile with these situations.
Up until now I always assumed people would carry one weapon for some strange reason - an assumption that could have landed me in a whole heap of *beep*. If you assume that they have more weapons then that changes the whole dynamic of the disarm.
Therefore I think the technique following a successful initial disarm should be something along the lines of 'Release the Kraken...'    :twisted:
Jitsonic

Postby nry » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:58 pm | #7

Reasonable force ftw...come at me with two knives and I reserve the right to cause a few injuries in return...on a lucky day anyhow.
nry Male

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Genghis » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 pm | #8

For me the big lesson from there is even if you've disarmed somebody, a very non-negotiable restraint or a KO seems to become even more appropriate than one might have thought it was.

G

Genghis None specified

Postby nry » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:09 am | #9

Any situation where you can't leave and/or are concerned the attacker will try and have another go would be the same...I'd suspect that any drunk/drugged attacker isn't going to stop just because you've thrown them to the ground, unless that throw lands them on their head.
nry Male

Postby rne02 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am | #10

nry wrote:I'd suspect that any drunk/drugged attacker isn't going to stop just because you've thrown them to the ground, unless that throw lands them on their head.

One of my instructors had an attacker in a standing armbar, the guy had that many drugs in his system he stood up out of it, breaking his own arm in the process, and then started punching with the other arm.

Frightening.
If you can't do it with a fag or a shot glass in your other hand, it's not a proper judo hold.
rne02 Male
Chief Tea Maker

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:41 am | #11

Sounds it!  It isn't just weapons to be worried about, it's the state of mind of those attacking.
nry Male

Postby nz_ROB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 am | #12

That must be why God invented tazers !!
nz_ROB

Return to Other Martial Arts

Signup